My wife is awesome :)

RickP

Established 1960, Still Not Dead
As many of you know, I’ve been scratching the Vox itch with an early 90s AC30. The speaker everyone identifies the “Vox Sound” with is the Celestion Alnico Blue (or the old Silver Bulldog), but due to a lot of price & politics issues, the Blue wasn’t being made in 1991 and the Silver was history. As a result, this amp came with 2 x 20 watt Celestion Greenbacks. They sound really good, like Greenbacks do, but not particularly Voxy to me.

My darling bride, hearing me talking about it, and with my BD coming in March, decided she was going to get an early present for me.

vhzTG83.jpg

They arrived today, and were installed in the AC30 and the change is dramatic. The sound is not just good, it sounds like a Vox. And that’s what I bought it to sound like. Very happy with it now.

A good wife is such a blessing :)

Last edited:
Not sure about mine. Conversation from a hour ago.
Me: Which guitar should I get?
Her: No more guitars.
Me: I’m trying to decide among a Silver Sky, LP Special p90 or LP 56 Goldtop p90.
Her: No new guitars!
PAUSE
Her: But if you still want the Porsche you’ve been talking about, we can go shopping on your birthday. (Next month)

I can’t believe she is so adamantly opposed to a new guitar.

Not sure about mine. Conversation from a hour ago.
Me: Which guitar should I get?
Her: No more guitars.
Me: I’m trying to decide among a Silver Sky, LP Special p90 or LP 56 Goldtop p90.
Her: No new guitars!
PAUSE
Her: But if you still want the Porsche you’ve been talking about, we can go shopping on your birthday. (Next month)

I can’t believe she is so adamantly opposed to a new guitar.
Well...once you had the Porsche you could trade it for a bunch of guitars.

Now wait a minute... I know it's easy to just jump on the bandwagon like others have. But before I can commit, I do have one important question:

Is she a good cook?
She is, and I am constantly fighting the war of the waistline to prove it! I was playing in bands when we met, so music has always been a part of life with me. She’s been supportive of it from day one, and after seeing so many friends make the “music or matrimony” choice, I’m very lucky to have had both living harmoniously due to this special woman.

I played on the AC30 for a good while this morning. It is shocking how loud two 15 watt speakers can be! Really sounds good, and will only improve as they wear in. Such a cool birthday present :cool:

She is, and I am constantly fighting the war of the waistline to prove it! I was playing in bands when we met, so music has always been a part of life with me. She’s been supportive of it from day one, and after seeing so many friends make the “music or matrimony” choice, I’m very lucky to have had both living harmoniously due to this special woman.

I played on the AC30 for a good while this morning. It is shocking how loud two 15 watt speakers can be! Really sounds good, and will only improve as they wear in. Such a cool birthday present :cool:

Yeah being a musician from the jump has got to be an advantage! Sadly, mine is NOT a fan of music at all (yeah, I can't compute either) But, she has warmed up to my love of guitars and music.

At first it was a bit rocky and she couldn't wrap her head around me having more than one guitar at any given time. It's taken her 3 + years of me peppering her with pics and specs of the stuff I want. The trick for me was defending my passion as just that...a serious passion, not just a hobby to throw money at. Plus reminding her how relatively inexpensive they are compared to say, fishing, golf, guns, motorcycles, cars or other hobbies I've had in the past. That and it's helped that my playing has actually improved (somewhat), and I have been committed to doing it daily.

Bottom line is, a great wife is supportive but you have to know your limits. I still push mine regularly but I respect her stance and feelings about the money part of it. Knowing our budget and knowing her being frustrated about spending a grand or more on a guitar/gear is something I have to be hyper-aware of. Since I've started doing that I do get the, "I know you will buy another one when we can, just be sure you don't settle for something, and get what you REALLY want" talk about WINNING!! Either that or she's pulled some kind of Jedi mind trick on me...hmmm?o_O

Glad yours is so cool man! I think a lot of us on here have some amazing women in our lives! So...Cheers to all the ladies out there that put up with us!!! YOU ROCK! ;)

Back