My tone was off....this is what it was

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
Sometimes the littlest thing can throw off your sound. I was plugged in yesterday with my core custom 22. Somehow the entire time I was practicing, I felt like my tone just didn't sound right. It was just sort of harsh, and piercing on the top end. I felt like it was a bit scooped and I didn't have as much mids as I like to keep the warmth that I am accustomed to. I almost was like "is this what people keep saying about these Dragon 2 pickups"? Knowing good and well I've been playing through the same series of pups since around 2000 or 2001. Made a whole bunch of adjustments to my guitar tone knobs volume knobs even went over to the amp and adjusted a few things. After getting frustrated and about ready to give up for the day, I looked over and realized that the bright Button had somehow gotten depressed. I never play with the bright button on because it gives me a little too much cut when I have my presence turned up to about 5. I released that button, and voila! That sweet Paul Reed Smith through Fender tubes sound that I am accustomed to was back in action. Sometimes you got to start with the really simple THEN and work your way to more complex.

97997251_10163558887520331_2555198030051540992_o.jpg

You would think it would be easy for them to design the amp with an indicator light to know when it’s on. I used to have a Fender Deluxe Reverb in the 80’s. The volume knob was a push/pull to turn the bright on and off. There was no way to accidentally have it on. Plus it sounded like crap with it turned on.

Haha - it's the smallest things that will get you! I once spent a hour troubleshooting my tone, which unexplicably sucked... only to find that my Wah was on (from the day before.)

That might have explained why all I could play were Kirk Hammet licks. :cool:

Thank goodness you figured that out before driving yourself crazy.

I just noticed that all of your knobs go to 12. It feels like a Spinal Tap moment. You win.
Fender Hot Rod series amps I believe all do. I am not sure about their other amps...I never paid attention.

YES! That I have done before too. Especially when I was using a cry baby. The digital ones don't really do that. But that analog pot changes as soon as you step on the switch.
Yip, a CryBaby. Always wondered why an LED is not included with most analog wahs.

Last year at a show, the opener started their third or fourth song in the set. The guitarist to the right suddenly turned and looked at his amp - no sound. Dropped to the ground and checked his pedal board. Nothing. Back to the amp, played around - nothing. Back to the pedal board - nothing. Looked at the guitar and tried a couple things - nothing. Back to the amp, guitar off, got behind the amp and played around, nothing. About halfway into the song at this point, walks back to his pedal board and....realizes he hadn’t turned off the bypass on the tuner when he tuned between songs.

Sometimes we forget to check the simple stuff because we just know we wouldn’t have done that.

A couple of weeks ago, I started playing and had no sound. Took me a little to realize my cable was laying on the floor instead of being plugged into my guitar. It must have been some kind of habitual disruption because I did it a couple more times in the coming days. Kind of like when I go through brief phases of leaving my fly unzipped.

That looks like a HRD? If you never use that switch you could probably disconnect it. I am pretty sure they are linked to relays on the board, you could have a tech take it out or cut the switch out. Reversible and you'll never bump it again

Back