My Tone Journey With The DG30 Amplifier

I brought the DG30 back to rehearsal yesterday... yeah, I’m not gonna try and live without it again. Even though I’m gonna be cramped for space on stage, I have to roll with this amp.

The German combo amp is still in my trunk, I can’t decide if I should bring it back in the house or put a garbage sticker on it and leave it on the curb.
Anything nearby you like a “youth initiative” for music that could use some guttural amplification?!;)

I brought the DG30 back to rehearsal yesterday... yeah, I’m not gonna try and live without it again. Even though I’m gonna be cramped for space on stage, I have to roll with this amp.

The German combo amp is still in my trunk, I can’t decide if I should bring it back in the house or put a garbage sticker on it and leave it on the curb.

Just buy another DG30 for a backup ;)

For the past week, my gear has been covered because we’re having the place painted, and there’s the usual mess/dust. I haven’t played a note. I miss using my stuff. And I’m bored out of my skull.

My guitars and amps are complaining about being left alone. It’s all so very maudlin. I’m ready to jump out a window.

Except the distance from the window ledge to the ground is only a few feet, so not much would happen other than having more pain inflicted. :(

For the past week, my gear has been covered because we’re having the place painted, and there’s the usual mess/dust. I haven’t played a note. I miss using my stuff. And I’m bored out of my skull.

My guitars and amps are complaining about being left alone. It’s all so very maudlin. I’m ready to jump out a window.

Except the distance from the window ledge to the ground is only a few feet, so not much would happen other than having more pain inflicted. :(

You can visit your daughter in Chicago and swing by here to play mine. We can get down on some disco.

Hang in there.....!;)

Really enjoying this thread, thanks everyone. I understand the matching cab is the way to go (open, ported); having said that, has anybody swapped-out the V30's for something else?
I know engineers seem to love them, but I don't. Maybe G12H30, Classic Lead 90 celestion, or??? If I'm not mistaken, the OEM V30's in the DG cab aren't your stock off the shelf jobbies (is that correct?), but I would think there would be some better, albeit aftermarket, options. No I have not heard the amp, nor the cabinet in person yet....thats my disclaimer. Thanks

Really enjoying this thread, thanks everyone. I understand the matching cab is the way to go (open, ported); having said that, has anybody swapped-out the V30's for something else?
I know engineers seem to love them, but I don't. Maybe G12H30, Classic Lead 90 celestion, or??? If I'm not mistaken, the OEM V30's in the DG cab aren't your stock off the shelf jobbies (is that correct?), but I would think there would be some better, albeit aftermarket, options. No I have not heard the amp, nor the cabinet in person yet....thats my disclaimer. Thanks

I had experience with the DG Custom Cabinet(before I sold it, unloaded)...I replaced the stock Chinese Celestion V30's with a WGS Veteran 30 and ET65. Better to my ears. ymmv.

Until you’ve spent time with the cab, you can’t appreciate how well matched the V30s are with the DG. In my case, it’s Grissom’s rig V1.0, which was with the pine 2x12 with V30s. Personally, I’m biased against the V30 because of my experience with Mesa/Boogie’s versions in their 2x12s. Don’t get me wrong, they sound amazing and do a certain thing very well, but in my opinion, just that thing. I didn’t want a Boogie sounding cab to influence what I sought out of what Grissom achieved with the Super Dallas. In the pine cab, the V30s do not sound like a traditional V30 cab. And without that cab and those speakers, I wouldn’t get the amazing stuff I get out of the Super Dallas. Like the DGT guitar, it’s the system as a whole that yields the amazing results, not one of the ingredients. You would do yourself a disservice making judgements without experiencing it firsthand.

Until you’ve spent time with the cab, you can’t appreciate how well matched the V30s are with the DG. In my case, it’s Grissom’s rig V1.0, which was with the pine 2x12 with V30s. Personally, I’m biased against the V30 because of my experience with Mesa/Boogie’s versions in their 2x12s. Don’t get me wrong, they sound amazing and do a certain thing very well, but in my opinion, just that thing. I didn’t want a Boogie sounding cab to influence what I sought out of what Grissom achieved with the Super Dallas. In the pine cab, the V30s do not sound like a traditional V30 cab. And without that cab and those speakers, I wouldn’t get the amazing stuff I get out of the Super Dallas. Like the DGT guitar, it’s the system as a whole that yields the amazing results, not one of the ingredients. You would do yourself a disservice making judgements without experiencing it firsthand.

+100

I had experience with the DG Custom Cabinet(before I sold it, unloaded)...I replaced the stock Chinese Celestion V30's with a WGS Veteran 30 and ET65. Better to my ears. ymmv.
Thank you, WFF! BTW, a better V30 variant is certainly a good thing. Pls see my reply to Boogie as well.

Last edited:

I was looking for this sort of feedback or viewpoint....i have had (among many other things) two quads of v30's in two different 412 cabs...one Marshall 1960b, one Soldano angle cab. Yes the V30'a have a certain "thing" going on, but I just don't care for them, & I am familiar with the Boog 412 sound you mention. This DG cabinet is certainly a different beast (as is the amplifier), and so my gut guess was that they must react differently in this particular cab for DG to choose them. I'm definitely going to have to listen to and play this rig in person. Maybe I'll finally find an application for V30's that I can live with. I'm not looking to do Dave Grissom's gig so to speak. I'm not him. But I am interested in his approach to amplification (as it seems you folks are)...and perhaps make it mine for my own playing. Thanks again!

Last edited:

First, yes, the cabinet makes the amp a complete thing. If you get the head, spring for the cab, if possible. It’s worth it, plus the cab is light (pine, fingerjointed) and very lovely on top of how good it sounds.

Second, when you do play the amp, be aware that because of the ppi design, the gain and master volume controls are highly interactive. The amp sounds best with the master opened up, or if the master is lower, dial up a little more gain. When I say highly interactive, I mean highly interactive. This is not a Mesa-style master volume amp, not even close. You have to work with it. But when you do, it rewards the effort.

The caveat is, it’s a pro player’s amp, and it helps to understand what it’s intended to be used for, in order to get the most out of it. If you get one, you may scratch your head and wonder what it’s about, but once you grok it and use it in a session or at a gig, you’ll get a better idea of its potential.

When I met Doug Sewell, who designed the amp, he and I talked about speakers, and he said he thought the Celestion Alnico Cream 90 might be really interesting with the cab. I’ve thought about getting a second cab and loading it that way, but guitar buying keeps stepping on that plan!

Last edited:
Back