My Tone Journey With The DG30 Amplifier

My wife was making fun of me for having company over and wearing sweats and Uggs.

Im in that making grilled cheese with an iron stage of Mr. Mom.

A man after my own heart. It's 1:00 pm, i just finished lunch (pizza) and am sitting here in my sweats and Uggs contemplating a shower. Gotta be honest, the thought of climbing a set of stairs, and exerting all that energy just for a shower, isn't winning. Plus, I'd have to make the bed while I'm up there.

A man after my own heart. It's 1:00 pm, i just finished lunch (pizza) and am sitting here in my sweats and Uggs contemplating a shower. Gotta be honest, the thought of climbing a set of stairs, and exerting all that energy just for a shower, isn't winning. Plus, I'd have to make the bed while I'm up there.
Such a tough life.
Speaking of which, I guess I need to make up the guest bed in case someone comes over to not drink my beer.

I’ll try but I’m on my phone, and I’ve been more into short pithy comments lately.

It’s a really really boring amp.... at first. Les has gone to great depths to describe the amp, and most, or all of his posts are pretty spot on. So rather than repeat his analogies and superlatives, I’ll try and offer my own.

It’s like the straight man of an ensemble. Dick Van Dyke and Jerry Seinfeld never took the funniest lines, they let Carl Reiner or Jason Alexander do the outrageous bits while they remained subdued. Their names were in the title of the show... and yet at first glance, they were like, the least funniest dudes.

This amp is kinda like that. On its own, it’s not terribly exciting. But what it does, where it’s true genius resides is in making everything else around it so much better that you kinda don’t recognize its brilliance.

The bass control is ample, yet no matter where you place it, it doesn’t hate the bass player or kick drum.

You need a dirt pedal for it, even totally cranked you’re not gonna be playing Judas Priest licks. But it’s also not a typical pedal-platform amp that just amplifies what’s already there either.. like a great straight man, it enhances and influences what you throw at it with such subtlety... you’re mistaken into believing it’s not doing anything. I went through a few excellent dirt pedals that sounded f@cking good through other amps but, nothing like they do through the DG30. I have a somewhat similar amp at home (el 84’s) and the difference when I plug them in is easily apparent.

At volume, with a band, and in a mix, is the only way to appreciate the amp. Demoing it alone or playing it at home will leave you uninspired. I actually had some of you offer condolences in private when I made the trade for the amp!

The midrange seems to be centered in the wrong space, the high cut (lpf) after the reverb makes it seem dark, and you’re kinda left wondering why an amp with almost no (metal) gain, spartan controls, and a bright switch needs effectively three other treble controls... it’s a little odd at first... until you crank the master and start playing.

Those treble controls are there because it’s an amp that doesn’t hate cymbals or vocals. The (lower-ish) power rating is perfect topped out within the context of a band for rehearsal, basic tracks, or stage.

It just lets your guitar and pedals (and playing, of course) appear to get all the glory. You know how you set your amp up at home and then have to tweak it wildly when you start playing with a band or start recording? Well this amp doesn’t really require that... it bores you to tears alone, and you kinda have to resign yourself that that’s as good of a tone as you’ll get outta it... and then all of a sudden as soon as you’re in the action of a band or a mix you’re like....Holy Sh!t I sound great!!

I’ve also never had so many positive remarks or genuinely curious questions when showing up with an amp before, and this when I haven’t even plugged in yet. And when I do plug in, I’m generally asked to turn down.... until I say “nope” and the band starts playing. Then, regardless of how loud everyone thought I was gonna be, the amp just magically adapts and melts into the band, it’s crazy! 30 years of being told to turn down and I’ve never had this happen before.

The amp just f@cking works. The West St. with a 57/08 in the neck, through a Bogner Red and an H9... all sh!t that shouldn’t sound this “vintage” “organic” or “mojo” laden, pick your superlative that PRS haters use... it’s all there. It makes sounding good and fitting in easy.

Damn, you have a way with words, Serg! I couldn’t put it better.

The only thing I can add is...speaking only for myself...

Something about the amp became addicting for me. It is indeed the best pedal platform I’ve ever played through, but it goes beyond that. It’s hard to describe the way the tone “melts” around pedals, the way ice cream melts into hot fudge.

But even clean, I found the amp addicting. In fact, even before I really figured out what the heck to do with it - a process that took some serious time, by the way - there was a thing it did that I just...loved.

Now, of course, after almost 4 years? It’s second nature to me to get it sounding exactly the way I want it.

I do understand why people don’t get the amp at first, because I scratched my head when I first got it. But something made me keep going, and as much as I love and use my HXDA, I use the DG30 as much, if not more.

Grissom, Sewell, and PRS know what they’re doing. But as with any piece of gear, it’s not for everyone. Neither is a Neve console, or a U47, or...[insert name of favorite piece of recording gear here].

As Paul says about the JMOD, the DG30 is a “serious piece of audio gear.” But it isn’t instant gratification. To me, that makes it so much more interesting. Once you “grok” how to use it...delight. At least for me.

I know you guys think, “Les is just a fanboy.” But Serg is straight-up just into what he’s into, and if he doesn’t like something, he’s upfront about it.

Tells me something about either the amp, or Serg, that he gets this amp.

I have the PRS closed back 2x12 pine cab and it definitely has a “warmth” to it that is easily definable.
Me too. Keep in mind that this is the cab that DG first used with his HXDA and a Super Dallas before developing the DG30/50. His first PRS amp tone, to me, was defined by that cab...one of the most underrated pieces of PRS gear out there. Yummy.

Me too. Keep in mind that this is the cab that DG first used with his HXDA and a Super Dallas before developing the DG30/50. His first PRS amp tone, to me, was defined by that cab...one of the most underrated pieces of PRS gear out there. Yummy.

Yup! Totally underrated, as most cabs are for some reason that cannot be explained.

So I was in the hospital last week for a little procedure (fine now, thanks) and wasn’t allowed to pick up a guitar for a few days. Finally, yesterday I got the ok.

Took the 594 Soapbar into the studio, flipped on the DG30 (perfect match for the guitar) and experienced its transcendent glory once again.

I played pretty clean nearly the whole time, but also had a moment or two with some gain. Never was a more lovely sounding amplifier created by the hands of humankind.

And with the 594? Earthly Valhalla, I tell you!

Write ups like Les’s really up my GAS for a DG30! For life reasons, I’m stuck with my Kemper and headphones for the next couple of months. Does anyone know of a Kemper profile of a DG amp? Posted over in the Kemper forum, but crickets there.
Thanks!

Write ups like Les’s really up my GAS for a DG30! For life reasons, I’m stuck with my Kemper and headphones for the next couple of months. Does anyone know of a Kemper profile of a DG amp? Posted over in the Kemper forum, but crickets there.
Thanks!
I thought I saw one in the vast horde of user submitted profiles. I didn’t pay much attention to it because I have no idea how good a model it might have been and I have a bunch more Britt profiles to work through. There weren’t a lot of PRS profiles out there though. I’m kind of hoping Crgtr and/or boogie profile their amps, and maybe my MDT.

Thanks!

I have no idea how that would work... it’d probably be the most boring amp profile ever. The magic of that amp is the combination of what you put on front of it and behind/under it.

I thought I saw one in the vast horde of user submitted profiles. I didn’t pay much attention to it because I have no idea how good a model it might have been and I have a bunch more Britt profiles to work through. There weren’t a lot of PRS profiles out there though. I’m kind of hoping Crgtr and/or boogie profile their amps, and maybe my MDT.

If I had a Kemper, I’d be looking for HX/DA profile. But I just can’t stop thinking about that MDT... I’m in amp selling mode right now, and and just got a great new amp, and still can’t stop thinking about that MDT.

I have no idea how that would work... it’d probably be the most boring amp profile ever. The magic of that amp is the combination of what you put on front of it and behind/under it.

Oddly enough, I played through mine today, and it sounded great without a thing in front. Though, obviously, I had a cabinet under it. ;)

I dunno about you, Serg, but I find it’s best to set it just a little differently for each guitar. How do you set yours up?

Oddly enough, I played through mine today, and it sounded great without a thing in front. Though, obviously, I had a cabinet under it. ;)

I dunno about you, Serg, but I find it’s best to set it just a little differently for each guitar. How do you set yours up?

I have a compressor in front as well as an eq, so I don’t mess with it too much when changing guitars besides little tweaks to bass and treble.

Boost on, volume at about noon, reverb to taste (around 2 o’clock), treble at two o’clock, middle around 11, bass at two, master volume at minimum 3 o’clock, presence at about eight o’clock, and I barely ride the treble cut... just enough to take any edge off depending on the room.

The eq in front has a bit of dump around 400 and again at 8k, even though that’s a bit high for guitar, it keeps the icicles at bay and alows me to use the presence control which I normally don’t use on other amps. I’d have to scroll through my comp settings but, it’s a pretty moderate 3:1 kinda thing.

I’ve found that those settings will still give me a clean amp with enough volume and “glue” to do a pseudo two-channel thing with my dirt pedal(s).

It’s a great amp, I’m super jazzed about how I sound through it... and as you know, I don’t hate modelers but... no way a digital box or profile does what this amp does.

I have a compressor in front as well as an eq, so I don’t mess with it too much when changing guitars besides little tweaks to bass and treble.

Boost on, volume at about noon, reverb to taste (around 2 o’clock), treble at two o’clock, middle around 11, bass at two, master volume at minimum 3 o’clock, presence at about eight o’clock, and I barely ride the treble cut... just enough to take any edge off depending on the room.

The eq in front has a bit of dump around 400 and again at 8k, even though that’s a bit high for guitar, it keeps the icicles at bay and alows me to use the presence control which I normally don’t use on other amps. I’d have to scroll through my comp settings but, it’s a pretty moderate 3:1 kinda thing.

I’ve found that those settings will still give me a clean amp with enough volume and “glue” to do a pseudo two-channel thing with my dirt pedal(s).

It’s a great amp, I’m super jazzed about how I sound through it... and as you know, I don’t hate modelers but... no way a digital box or profile does what this amp does.

Interesting! My settings are quite similar, except I use less reverb and a bit more presence most days.

I like what the boost mode does, too, though lately I’ve been using standard mode a lot. For that, I just dime the master. It’s great either way, of course.

But I’m admittedly a “What do I feel like messing with today?” person, so I tend to tweak here and there.

Thanks!
There are few PRS amps properly profiled. But if you give me a couple of months, that should be remedied. Might need a buddy with a DG30 to step up with my Super Dallas.

There are few PRS amps properly profiled. But if you give me a couple of months, that should be remedied. Might need a buddy with a DG30 to step up with my Super Dallas.

That would be fantastic! I’ve found a few decent Archon profiles, but no DG30.
Thanks!

Back