My S2 Studio “NOT A BUZZ”!!

Sybo

Jim
Before the first of the year I bought m PRS S2 Studio here in Nashville and man I love this guitar. Well, kinda... I have way kept my guitar room properly humidified, and never a problem. I have numerous guitar and “ rotate” through them at varying intervals. Last week I picked it up and I have a buzz in my S2 WTF.

Now I like a really low action , and I do pay attention to minor changes in how things change even with a humidifier. But NO....... I have addressed the action, bridge, and still a buz. And I just cannot get things ”dialed” in like my Vela. Seems too low at the nut, too high down past the 12th.. I am frustrated, and getting to a tech with Corona is not good. Suggestions?
Jim

Let's work on the "too low at the nut" first, then you can adjust the "too high at the bridge" later. As a test, take a Kleenex tissue and put it under the strings and let it slide under the strings as you tune up. This is to raise up the strings slightly. You might need two or more tissues to see how far you need to raise the nut slots. If you get the height you like then lower the bridge to your taste. If that fixes your problem then you know you just need a new nut cut at the depth that is right for you and you will be done.

What was the solution? Some of us want to know - for future reference. Thanks! ;)

I'll blow my cover here.

What was happening was a wolf tone between the low E string and the trem springs. Even a light pluck would cause the arc of the string to increase like it was feeding back through an amp but unplugged.

One of the wildest things I've seen on a guitar in a while.

So I dropped the action which detuned the strings and readjusted the spring tension.

No wolf tones, no buzz, MUCH better action.

Back