My S2 Singlecut is bugging me

horax

Beautiful guitar, easy to play...love it....BUT....

The knobs are way too easy to move. If I have everything dimed, when I play a song, I ALWAYS end up in a different volume/tone setting than when I started. Also, the toggle switch is so loose it changes pickup configurations on me at random.

Any quick fix for this?

The knobs are way too easy to move. If I have everything dimed, when I play a song, I ALWAYS end up in a different volume/tone setting than when I started. Also, the toggle switch is so loose it changes pickup configurations on me at random.

Any quick fix for this?

I’ve used little rubber washers (O rings) before.

Last edited:
I’ve used little rubber washers before.

Huh - I never washed them, I just used new ones. But I'm extravagant.

OP - you can probably bend the tines on the toggle switch to make it a little tighter. Or pop a new switch in - they're not especially expensive or difficult to install. You could probably replace the pots as well, but I like how easily they turn - makes it easy to move to different settings. I have at least one guitar w/pots that are pretty difficult to move on the fly.

Huh - I never washed them, I just used new ones. But I'm extravagant.

OP - you can probably bend the tines on the toggle switch to make it a little tighter. Or pop a new switch in - they're not especially expensive or difficult to install. You could probably replace the pots as well, but I like how easily they turn - makes it easy to move to different settings. I have at least one guitar w/pots that are pretty difficult to move on the fly.

Yeah, I like them too. IIRC, Shawn mentioned, somewhat recently, that they remove the washer from the volume pot to get that easy turn feel because that is how Paul like them. I get the OP, though. I've been playing along several times and all of a sudden I'm like, "Where did my volume go?" Only to find that my spastic picking/strumming had turned the knob.

Yeah, I like them too. IIRC, Shawn mentioned, somewhat recently, that they remove the washer from the volume pot to get that easy turn feel because that is how Paul like them. I get the OP, though. I've been playing along several times and all of a sudden I'm like, "Where did my volume go?" Only to find that my spastic picking/strumming had turned the knob.

I've done that as well. I usually just swear and change the volume. It's a workaround.

Any quick fix for this?
Yes. Give it to me. J/k maybe haha

Switchcraft toggles are arguably still the best performing switches for the purpose, and everyone pretty much uses them, but this is not unusual.

Basically, the toggle is held in place by a part called the “bat” on the bottom of the switch lever (underneath) that slides against and engages a large, flat spring; that’s what’s supposed to hold it in place. I think the spring also carries or shorts out signal, but I don’t actually remember what’s what on the darn thing.

Unfortunately, Switchcraft most likely designed this device in 5000 BC*, because it’s kind of a prehistoric, Rube Goldberg contraption; every so often one comes off the line with a bat-spring interface that’s just not gonna work. Sometimes it can be bent and fixed, sometimes not. I’d just replace the switch with an identical one and call it a day. If it’s under warranty, I’m sure PRS will take care of the repair.

*With the help of aliens, of course; it’s always the aliens, isn’t it? You’d think alien technology would be more sophisticated than this simple switch, but maybe they simply dumbed it down for ancient humans to be able to produce.

Last edited:
Back