My reverb doesn't work on Rectoverb 50

cboisits

Along with my new PRS CE 24, I bought a used Mesa Rectoverb 50 and it just showed up. Sounds great, but the reverb doesn't work. What a buzzkill. I tried WITH the footswitch, AND without, but it doesn't work. What can it be? There doesn't appear to be any detached cables. I hope that it isn't taboo to be talking about a Mesa amp on a PRS forum but all the guys on this forum are extremely helpful and very responsive. With that being said,....help??? I appreciate your consideration and time in advance.
Christian

I found out the problem. The connection on one side of one of the three springs detached and I have NO idea how to reconnect it.

Can you add some photos?

Worst case scenario, you should be able to put a new reverb tank in there, but if we can see what’s going on, maybe someone will have a tip on fixing it.

@RickP is usually pretty knowledgeable regards amps. Perhaps hit him up with a PM?
Thanks for the vote of confidence @CandidPicker!

The connections inside a reverb tank are surprisingly fragile, considering all the banging around that amps get. I had one come loose in my 1964 Super Reverb and I just soldered it back on. That was many moons ago, and it remains working to this day.

If you’re not particularly handy with a soldering iron, a new OEM part from Boogie is only $59... cheaper than buying a reverb pedal!
https://store.mesaboogie.com/produc...ing-series-i-rectoverb-ii-nomad-f-series.html

You can buy a reverb tank for under $30, but I like sticking with the OEM part, just for fit and originality reasons. That tank was used in most of the Boogie combos of the era, and sounds great. Give M/B a call at (707) 778-6565, and they’ll make sure you get the right part.

Last edited:
Yeah, I had the same problem with a Rectoverb 50, they're apparently using weak springs. I went with an aftermarket, since I didn't trust the Mesa tank after the first one broke.

Yeah, I had the same problem with a Rectoverb 50, they're apparently using weak springs. I went with an aftermarket, since I didn't trust the Mesa tank after the first one broke.
They use Accutronics tanks in most of their amps, so I suppose you could shop for another brand. I don’t have any idea who was making them for Fender in the 60s, but it was pretty light too. I think it’s just the nature of the beast. With all the Boogie combos I’ve had since the 70s, I’ve never had a reverb issue. Of course, one will break this week because I said that!

They use Accutronics tanks in most of their amps, so I suppose you could shop for another brand. I don’t have any idea who was making them for Fender in the 60s, but it was pretty light too. I think it’s just the nature of the beast. With all the Boogie combos I’ve had since the 70s, I’ve never had a reverb issue. Of course, one will break this week because I said that!

I used a MOD reverb tank, and it was great. I did sell the amp 6 months or so later, so I can't speak to the long term longevity....but that's not why I sold the amp :).

The springs on a spring reverb need to be able to wiggle freely, since that's how the sound is transduced through the tank. So they have to be built pretty lightly out of necessity. If the springs are too stiffly mounted, it probably interferes with that.

I've had spring reverbs on my Tremoverb and Maverick, and both were Recto models. I liked the spring reverbs with them. I guess spring reverb is a matter of taste, but heck, the model is a Rectoverb, so it should have reverb!

I'd sure want the correct one in my amp.

I ended up buying a MOD reverb tank. Mesa uses Accutronics tanks so I figured why not go with a different aftermarket tank? The guy that sold me the amplifier was a really stand up dude. Originally, the amp arrived with a broken power tube so he Zelled me $60 for tubes. Then he sent me another $60 for the reverb tank. Very nice of him. He goes by Bott Technology on Reverb.com. If you ever have a chance to deal with him, go for it. But it was cool to take apart the back of the amp and take apart the tank too. I love to learn about all this stuff. You learn something new every day.

Back