My PRS only came installed with 3 springs installed

ohdonpiano

Hello! Just bought my first PRS. A PRS SE Cu24. It was an 'New' open box item from Ebay from a Brick and mortar music store and authorized PRS dealer. Received it today but the bridge is lifted really high on the back, (like 5mm) and the action is really high. I noticed it only has 3 springs installed in the back. Did not comes with any extras. Will I need 4 springs? or can I lower the action with the 3 I have? Also it really won't stay in tune when using the tremolo, probably needs a good setup, or could the high bridge cause that?

Level the bridge via spring claw screws, tune and repeat until you reach a happy equilibrium.

Then check the relief and then the action, etc.

Most are generally fine with 3 springs. It depends on string gauges, tuning and personal preference.

I actually took off 2 springs to have 3 because I like the action better. Just follow Warmart's instructions and you should be fine.

If you’re going to lower the bridge, be sure to detune and disconnect the trem springs before turning the trem screws. Otherwise you can ruin the fulcrum knife edge. If you do it’s not fixable. Make sure to watch all available videos before moving anything. It’s a Ferrari, not a Yugo. And I always use three springs on everything.

If you’re going to lower the bridge, be sure to detune and disconnect the trem springs before turning the trem screws. Otherwise you can ruin the fulcrum knife edge. If you do it’s not fixable. Make sure to watch all available videos before moving anything. It’s a Ferrari, not a Yugo. And I always use three springs on everything.
I think he’s referring to the bridge being raised in the back from the claw being too far back. Previous owner probably changed string gauge from 10s to 9s and didn’t adjust the claw. Regardless, you’re right on the money with the trem height adjustment advice. Heck, I probably misinterpreted his question!

Thanks Everyone!
I loosened the strings and tthen tightened the screws on the back. I did not touch the screw on the top.
then retuned to pitch and the darn high E string broke and I don't have any extra strings. NGD and can't play it. FAIL. I'll
go to store tomorrow for new strings. I think the dealer put 10s on them before shipping it to me, and
not 9s which the SE's are setup for default

Here is a photo before I made the adjustments.

LZdowFm.jpg

How the 3 springs are hooked up in the back
kXa0LIa.jpg

jgrhWwv.jpg

^this^

Anything to do with alterations on the bridge/trem is best done under lesser tension. Especially when it involves screws. When they snap it’s a pain to remove/replace them. A little extra time taken saves a lot of hassle.

Good luck.

Back