My PRS needs a sister.

littleredguitars2

hey guys! new to the forum. a couple months ago i bought myself my first PRS. i fell in love with a used 53/10 limited run guitar in black slate and i've been obsessed with prs ever since. no more gibbys or strats for me. although the es335 heirloom can stay... i guess...

anyways. i've been really curious what to get and this seems like a great forum full of helpful people. i'm curious about the modern eagles. i can't afford ME1's with the braz necks although i'd love one. but i'm curious how the other MEs like the 2, 3 (was there a 3?) and the quattro are viewed. i see some of these around the $3000 range which is currently my budget. how much were the ME's brand new? like if i see a quattro for 3k is that a steal?

i'm a huge fan of the wide fat necks. but i really didnt like the pattern neck i recently tried on a pauls guitar. the pattern regulars feel nice too but still wide fat is my weapon of choice. i love an unfinished/satin neck. and i'm really leaning towards a trem guitar. any suggestions? i'm also considering just a nice CU22 or 24 if the spec is just right.

anyways, id love some feedback or suggestions for other models that may have slipped by me. like i said, i'm pretty new to the prs family.

heres a quick shot of my baby.

YlBWcYC.jpg

maGN0Wa.jpg

Oh yeah, that's a real nice one! I don't know what your personal tastes are, but you might consider a S2 Standard Cu22 Satin finish. I love mine, feels great, and sounds great to me, IMHO.

Oh yeah, that's a real nice one! I don't know what your personal tastes are, but you might consider a S2 Standard Cu22 Satin finish. I love mine, feels great, and sounds great to me, IMHO.

The S2 line are just not aesthetically pleasing to me. Im sure they play great though

Beautiful guitar and welcome!

Very few of my suggestions seem to work for other people, so I'm leaving you to your own devices. ;)

That 5310 is to die for, well done!
I'm now spoiled for rosewood necks and the wide fat on my McCarty is the schizzle. A nice Eagle with a rosewood neck should be in your radar!

Welcome! Beautiful guitar. Not sure I have much advice for you except get out and try as many as you can.

I'm just here because I thought the title said "My PRS needs a SITTER".

I'd babysit that guitar anytime.:)

I have it's sister for you: An ME1 SC in slate. Check out the recent "Show your SC" thread.
yeah that'll do quite nice. ha.

So we can watch them having pillow fights... Duh.
duh.

everyone kind of glossed over one of my questions though so i'm just gonna repost it here at the bottom.

in terms of ME's i see some of these around the $3000 range which is currently my budget. how much were the ME's brand new? like if i see a quattro for 3k for example is that a steal?

Welcome! Beautiful guitar. Not sure I have much advice for you except get out and try as many as you can.

I'm just here because I thought the title said "My PRS needs a SITTER".

I'd babysit that guitar anytime.:)

i tried a bunch the other day ranging from single cuts to cu24s and 22s to a nice used private stock 22. i'm mostly getting a feel for the neck's that i do and dont like. no thins for me. regulars seem good but wide fat is my jam. and i didnt really love the pattern neck.

Nice guitar! It would suit well into the quilt lovers thread.
Before you purchase a sister you have to define your specs: 22/24 frets, vibrato or stoptail, HH, HSH, coil-tap, versatile in sounds or not, neck profile and so on, jumbo frets (likewise DGT or 513) or not, set-neck or bolt-on...
You stated that Wide Fat is your neck of choice (the difference to Pattern Regular is only the at the nut). That said a chunky neck...

Okay, bolt-on: CE24 is out, because of Wide Thin neck profile..., maybe a Brent Mason Signature would be a try worth instead (Pattern Regular neck profile).
Set-neck: a DGT fullfils with its unique neck profile and frettype and tonally flexibility a good offer as a HH-type of guitar.
If you like even more sounds like a Brent Mason, try out a 513 (and it´s a compromise combining Pattern Regular with kinda jumbo frets).

I personally have got a custom made guitar with a Wide Fat neck profile. Both Pattern Regular and Wide Fat feel great, but to me, grabbing the Pattern Regular the first time, it was like stucking my feet into good old and comfortable leather shoes.

Last edited:
Know what you mean about ringing a comfortable neck. If that's your primary concern and not so much the model, there's still 408s, P22s and P24s that you should be able to find with WF.

Welcome and nice pick up! I'd +1 on the 408 or the DGT. The DGT may be better suited based on your needs due to the jumbo frets and neck. Killer guitar.

I'm not really familiar the ME's, so I can't offer any input on your questions regarding them.

If your looking for another 53/10 equipped guitar, I suggest getting the ME quattro. I have one and the 53/10 with the rosewood neck is killer. I was thinking of finding a 5310 model and the one on John Mann's site vanished some time ago. As for price, best I can advise is look in eBay for completed sales to see what the avg was and go from there. ME guitars are costly and the prices do not move as much as others

i'm not really opposed to any specific models. the 408s look nice. i dont really know much about the dgt model. the p22s and 24s are the same as cu's but with piezos right? is that the only difference? if so i'm not sure i'd really utilize it. does piezo sound good through a normal amp as opposed to one meant for acoustic?

here are some preferences

-neck = wide fat or pattern regular. non painted. i dont want anything too sticky.
-pickups = 2 humbuckers preferred. not sure about the narrowfields or other smaller humbuckers. tried pauls guitar. sounded nice but i'm always trying new pickups so i like having normal humbucker routs. i also do NOT like having middle pickups. i hate feeling that pickup when i'm strumming. bugs me a lot.
- i really prefer natural backs. non painted. similar to mine above.
-frets = prefer 22's look. wont really utilize 24 that much but i'm not at all opposed to 24. i prefer bigger frets. my 5310 has really big frets. i measured them at (i want to say) 58x110 or something similar. but a medium-jumbo works
-coil tap is always a plus but i can always do it after market if not currently on it
- vibrato preferred. since mines a stoptail i'd like to have something with a trem to give me more options. i can always lock it down later if i change my mind
- tone = i typically play rock styles but i'd like to have some versatility. i like medium output pickups but i can always try a different set if the stock set isnt to my liking so thats not a big deal. i like the 5310 pickups but i dont necessarily want the same set. i want to have some more options.

thats about all i can think of right now.

Back