My Private Stock Revisited

Brad737

This space for rent...
Hello all,

Long time, no talk. Until a few days ago, it had been quite some time since I’ve logged into the forum. There were several reasons why. First of all, my wife and I started a side business for a tax writeoff that took up quite a lot of time. In addition to my “real” job, we had some water damage in our home that required me packing up most of my gear for a home renovation. I’ve spent the better part of the last 3 years just being able to grab a guitar and plink around for 20 minutes or so, here and there. But the main reason is that I’ve been pretty much GAS-less since I bought my Private Stock PRS.

I’ve shared this guitar before, on BaM, VR, and maybe here, but I finally migrated from Photobucket yesterday. I thought it would be fun to post her again. Over the years, I’ve owned over 50 PRS guitars, though I only have 7 now, with 3 of them for sale on Reverb. This Private Stock was the culmination of what I’ve learned along the way, along with a lot of thought about the type of music I like to play...Van Halen, Rush, Zeppelin, and early Clapton.

I’ve said many times over the years that I believe the Modern Eagle is Paul’s crowning achievement as a luthier, and my guitar is basically a ME1. I spec’d out a Gibson-scale ME1, but with a quilt top. I also went with a sort of Artist III presentation, with abalone purfling around the body and neck, and abalone/ mother of Pearl Birds. I asked for a “Lobby Burst” nitro finish after the guitar PRS has on display in their office lobby. Obviously, being a Modern Eagle, it has a Brazilian rosewood neck, along with Brazzy cover plates and tuner buttons. I had PRS “roll” the edges of the fretboard so it felt broken in right out of the case. I also asked for stainless steel frets. I went with a 57/08 pickup in the bridge, and a 53/10 in the neck. I asked for a MannMade trem with unplated brass saddles and screws.

She’s an absolute tone machine and plays effortlessly. I’m sure at some point, I may want a new guitar or two, probably a 68 Strat or 68 Tele. But only if I sell my 86 VY Custom or 53/10 LTD. Here she is in all her glory, my Private Stock ME245.

eVFzeAF.jpg

KZfdSLN.jpg

6Dw989V.jpg

OuynzkZ.jpg

wI26fb6.jpg

VzoNOE9.jpg

VJDLCzS.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely guitar! Great job in selecting finish and hardware. It comes together really nicely there.

I love everything about that guitar :)

Have you tried the Pattern Vintage neck carve? Game changer.

Brad, I remember that guitar like it was yesterday when it arrived. That was one of my favorite Private Stock DC 245s I have ever seen. I still have pics of that one in my "Private Stock Ideas" folder on my computer for a potential future guitar. ;)

I moved on from the DC 245s and SC 245/McCarty Singlecut infatuation in 2016-2017 when the 594s came out - I viewed that as an evolution of the DC and SC 245s/Teds, the perfection of that lineage. I took a two year hiatus myself here. I came back in early January this year, and have been obsessed with how great the 2020 594s are with the Nitro finish and the TCI pickups. (With way too many NGDs to show for it...)

Thanks for posting that beauty again!

Brad, I remember that guitar like it was yesterday when it arrived. That was one of my favorite Private Stock DC 245s I have ever seen. I still have pics of that one in my "Private Stock Ideas" folder on my computer for a potential future guitar. ;)

I moved on from the DC 245s and SC 245/McCarty Singlecut infatuation in 2016-2017 when the 594s came out - I viewed that as an evolution of the DC and SC 245s/Teds, the perfection of that lineage. I took a two year hiatus myself here. I came back in early January this year, and have been obsessed with how great the 2020 594s are with the Nitro finish and the TCI pickups. (With way too many NGDs to show for it...)

Thanks for posting that beauty again!

I’ve only owned one Ted, a Soapy, but it was amazing. I’ve never seen a 594 in person. Perhaps I should visit GCRon sometime?

Back