My New PRS SE Custom 22

GIJoeJarhead

Good afternoon, evening to all,

I am a Brand New PRS Owner, just got my first SE Custom 22 earlier last week, and I am super excited to add this guitar to my line-up. I am following the rules, here and will not post any links, but I do have a picture of it. I just do not see anywhere to add any attachments, so . . . it's the Sapphire Blue SE with the Mahogany body and maple neck, 85/15 S Pickups, 3 way switch and the coil tap.. I took it to my guitar lesson yesterday and even my instructor is super impressed with how it sounds and feels. It's a little heavier than I expected, which is nice, but not too heavy.
I have a couple quick questions I have not been able to find any answers to, yet.
1. What strings does this guitar come equipped with, does anyone know?
2. The Tremlo Bridge seems to float slightly above the body of the guitar, is this normal?

We, my instructor and I, noticed these things yesterday. It seemed to go out of tune a couple times, but he was having a Go at it and really bending the strings, so maybe it's just because it's new. I have a new set of D'Addario .10 XL's I can put on it, but if it has D'Addario's already, then it's just because it's new and I'll leave it alone. I do not really play a lot that requires dive bombs, so I usually don't even have the whammy on it, just curious about the bridge.

Any help and advice is appreciated.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. And, congrats on your first! The strings on the guitar are PRSes brand of strings, but made by Daddario. As for the Trem, it should float above the body and be parallel with the strings

Ok, awesome, thanks Bodia for the information, I appreciate it, so do you think I should just leave these strings on it for a while and play the heck out of them??

Yes, keep them, they’re good strings. Stretch them out and that will help keep it in tune. Also depending on where you bought the guitar, it might not have been set up correctly. If the intonation is off, it might sound out of tune.

Congrats on your new guitar! I bought my first PRS with tremolo 5 months ago, and found that it is very sensitive to string gauges. The SE's come with 9's, and I put on 10's, and had the same problem as you. The good news is that it's very easy to adjust. I posted basically the same question on this forum after I got mine, and people were very helpful. In short, to quote AP515, "The trem adjustment isn't hard. Just slightly screw in the two screws that hold the trem plate in the back. That will tighten the springs a little and when it is in tune and the trem is parallel with the body, you're done"

Check out these two threads for more info:

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...-custom-22-semi-hollowbody.41633/#post-528260

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/change-strings-se-cu24-9s-to-10s.41668/#post-529905

Mine is a sunburst but blue is my favorite color, so I'm trying to find an excuse to buy a blue one. :)

There will be a break in period for the trem. In addition, the nut will need to be either adjusted or replaced if the guitar will not stay in tune after 3 weeks or so. Every time you pick up the guitar, press the trem all the way down ,and then all the way back 2 or three times, then tune and play. This will hasten the break in, and loosen the nut slots a little if they are tight. Then, rock that bad boy till your neighbors complain.

Love it guys and gals, thanks for the posts and the advice. This guitar is exactly what I was looking for, a great all around player that fills a slot between my screaming LP and my 24 Fret Shred Machine. And . . . for my smooth slow hand blues, I have my Tele! I could not be more happy with my choice of this SE, and it's so darn Purdy! LOL

Congrats on your new guitar! I bought my first PRS with tremolo 5 months ago, and found that it is very sensitive to string gauges. The SE's come with 9's, and I put on 10's, and had the same problem as you. The good news is that it's very easy to adjust. I posted basically the same question on this forum after I got mine, and people were very helpful. In short, to quote AP515, "The trem adjustment isn't hard. Just slightly screw in the two screws that hold the trem plate in the back. That will tighten the springs a little and when it is in tune and the trem is parallel with the body, you're done"

Check out these two threads for more info:

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...-custom-22-semi-hollowbody.41633/#post-528260

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/change-strings-se-cu24-9s-to-10s.41668/#post-529905

Mine is a sunburst but blue is my favorite color, so I'm trying to find an excuse to buy a blue one. :)

Yeah, I was a bit torn between the 2, but ProAudioStar where I bought this one only had the Sapphire in a used model. NOW . . . I cannot confirm it, but it sounds like they may have actually sent me a brand new model but only charged me the used price which is super cool!!

Sounds like a sweet guitar! Congrats

Upload pics to a site like flickr, etc. Then copy and paste the jpg link into your post so we can see pics.

Back