My new 59/09 pickups

The Fight

Long Hair Demigod
Hey guys!
So I've been wanting to change my pickups in my custom 24 for a wile now, to see what else is out there.

Got my 59/09 pickups in today, covered with brushed nickel. I got so excited I wasted no time installing them.
I also polished the guitar and changed the strings, though it took a wile bcs of the floyd rose. My amp was on stand by the whole time to get the tubes nice and warm. When I finally got around to playing the guitar I found my self in total bliss. Not only was I a bit confused with the totally unexpected sound but utterly amazed with the tone. My guitar sounds so nice!
The 59/09 are alot warmer than I expected, probably due to the fact they are a bit under wound. Which is funny bcs my 57/08 are a little over wound, kind of a clash here but no problem ..
They are similar to my old hfs but more vintage to my ears. Not as much bottom end as the hfs but more mojo or something. Definitely more mid driven with a bit of paf squishiness. Sry can't really explain sound. I am a huge fan of the hfs pickup due to its ability to cut through a mix, and bring on clear but heavy chugs that have no flub. I will say though that they can be a bit much.

Ive used the hfs/vb combo for ten years now and it's been my main sound for a metal/ heavy rock for a wile. But the last four years my taste for music has taken a left turn and I find myself playing classic rock more and more. So here I am now spending my money on more expensive pickups :)

I love this change for the 59/09 and these are definitely staying in this guitar!
Also I will add that I'm really impressed by the coil split in the neck position, probably the best I've heard ever. Alot of meat to the twang, very much easier to play Strat style leads with this one, but I've never owned a strat so I'm not really sure if that counts...:)

wmjjTyZ.jpg

Glad you like the change. I put 59/09's in my Cu24 Stoptail and I also like the change. I am keeping the HFS/Vintage in my other Cu24, but I like the difference in this one. The neck 59/09 is hotter than the vintage. It makes a lager tonal palette. Congratulations!

Glad you like the change. I put 59/09's in my Cu24 Stoptail and I also like the change. I am keeping the HFS/Vintage in my other Cu24, but I like the difference in this one. The neck 59/09 is hotter than the vintage. It makes a lager tonal palette. Congratulations!

Actually your the one who really go me on these, or at least convinced me. Thanks!
I actually have another cu24 same year that I'm keeping the hfs/vb in as well, I like to have that tone too. But man Def Leppard songs sound so much cooler with the 59/09, I was hoping for that!

I love that guitar. I think I'd keep it no matter what pickups were in it.
But I still remember the first time I played my guitar with 59/09 and it was like a little bit of heaven with a dirty girl.

5909s are really nice pickups. I am getting my guitar back today that has 5310s in it. I just installed those before shipping it off so I'm stoked to try it out saturday night. Hope they are as nice as my cu24 with 5909s!

Very cool. Glad you're happy with the change. I've got a 59/09 in my Studio, and love it. My Cu22 is in for a refinish, and 59/09s.

I thought 59/09s were overwound (more output) compared to 57/08....
They usually are man, but mine are used early models. It's just pure luck that I found a over wound 57/08 and ltl under wound 59/09. And that's just both trebles, the two bass read normal on resistance. It's not much in terms of sound but I can hear it.

5909s are really nice pickups. I am getting my guitar back today that has 5310s in it. I just installed those before shipping it off so I'm stoked to try it out saturday night. Hope they are as nice as my cu24 with 5909s!
Hey I was checking out the 53/10 and aren't they more common in cu22? I hear only got things about them.

I love that guitar. I think I'd keep it no matter what pickups were in it.
But I still remember the first time I played my guitar with 59/09 and it was like a little bit of heaven with a dirty girl.

Man I know what you mean! I love this guitar, it's my main player and my first prs, and my mom bought me it back in highschool. Ive never been so worried about a simple pickup change.
I think what I like the most about the 59/09 is the fact that it behaves, the hfs has no mercy..

I never thought about it quite like that, but I have to agree.
I don't always deserve mercy, so I kept hfs in my swamp ash.

It actually seems that having hfs in the swamp ash is a good choice, I bet it sound tough! It would seem to me that mby the 59/09 in the ash body would be a bit muddy, just speculation. But man want a swamp ash one of these days, those things sound killer!

I have 59/09s in my CU24 Throwback, and I just threw a set in a Santana SE. Older-style and I put covers on them. They definitely "behave" more than HFS/VB, but they sure ain't virgins ;) I was used to the sound of them in my CU24 TB with a rotary and sweet switch. They sound so cool and different wired McCarty-style in a shorter-scale guitar. I am really impressed with the split tones. They are a little thinner and grittier split than my current fave XX/15s, but I dig the difference.

Good choice! Glad you are happy!

I have 59/09s in my CU24 Throwback, and I just threw a set in a Santana SE. Older-style and I put covers on them. They definitely "behave" more than HFS/VB, but they sure ain't virgins ;) I was used to the sound of them in my CU24 TB with a rotary and sweet switch. They sound so cool and different wired McCarty-style in a shorter-scale guitar. I am really impressed with the split tones. They are a little thinner and grittier split than my current fave XX/15s, but I dig the difference.

Good choice! Glad you are happy!
Haha they sure ain't virgins! Today I had the time to mess around with the pickup screws and I have to say they sounded a bit more on the aggressive side after I got them were I wanted. They sound amazing and I would not change a thing about them! It would be nice to hear som 59/09 in a Santana, bet it sounds sweet!

'The 59/09 are alot warmer than I expected, probably due to the fact they are a bit under wound. Which is funny bcs my 57/08 are a little over wound, kind of a clash here but no problem'

Not sure where this info comes from? There's nothing to suggest that they're under wound at all, especially not in comparison to the 57/08. Under winding gives more treble, a more open sound, less bass and mids.

The 59/09 have definitely more mid range end and bass. They're hotter than any PAF replica that I've heard, they sound like a modern take on the PAF to me.

Back