My McCarty has ruined me for wanting to play my other guitars

DogPhishHead

My "new to me" McCarty Smokeburst has completely taken over my playing time, that tone, that neck and having my pedals and amp dialed it to the PRS. My poor "F" guitars (60s strat & 50s tele) just sit in their cases.
I tried yesterday to do some playing on the strat and that single coil tone just wasn't doing anything for me, just weak and sorta "meh". Now I know I've dialed the amp and pedals into the 57/08s in the McCarty, so I did a little tweaking for the strat, but still, it wasn't inspiring me. That McCarty tone is so rich, defined and has the woody warmth I've been hearing in my head.

Figure I'll leave those guitars in their cases for a few months and try again, if it's "meh" again, they're goners.
I do like a great strat-ish tone, so maybe I'll start on a NF3 hunt in the future (that guitar intrigues the hell out of me).

Last edited:
My "new to me" McCarty Smokeburst has completely taken over my playing time, that tone, that neck and having my pedals and amp dialed it to the PRS. My poor "F" guitars (60s strat & 50s tele) just sit in their cases.
I tried yesterday to do some playing on the strat and that single coil tone just wasn't doing anything for me, just weak and sorta "meh". Now I know I've dialed the amp and pedals into the 57/08s in the McCarty, so I did a little tweaking for the strat, but still, it wasn't inspiring me. That McCarty tone is so rich, defined and has the woody warmth I've been hearing in my head.

Figure I'll leave those guitars in their cases for a few months and try again, if it's "meh" again, they're goners.
I do like a great strat-ish tone, so maybe I'll start on a NF3 hunt in the future (that guitar intrigues the hell out of me).

Can't go wrong with an NF3. Great guitar. Loved the maple neck, maple board. Not sure that it gets close to Stratish though. Still, everyone should at least try one, at some point. DC3 or 305 or EG would get you closer.

I was listening to some tracks I recorded with my McCarty before I went a little wacky and traded it in on a second 594, and damn, that McCarty sounded great!

I love the 594s I have, too, but folks underestimate the McCarty sometimes (I include myself in this group).

McCartys are awesome! Enjoy it!

My PRS guitars are definitely a head above my other brands of guitars. Surprisingly, The ones I like playing "second much" are my Schecter semi hollows. (The C/sh1 and the c-1/ea). Something about the build is "similar" yet not as high end and the tone, maybe because they are semi with f holes is more complete than any of my other guitars except for my PRSs. In fact, I just sold one of my strats a couple of days ago.

My PRS guitars are definitely a head above my other brands of guitars. Surprisingly, The ones I like playing "second much" are my Schecter semi hollows. (The C/sh1 and the c-1/ea). Something about the build is "similar" yet not as high end and the tone, maybe because they are semi with f holes is more complete than any of my other guitars except for my PRSs. In fact, I just sold one of my strats a couple of days ago.
There’s a natty SH McCarty quilt on a Reverb right now with your name all over it! Sorry! :D

Wait until you try the pattern vintage neck carve on the 594! I still have my McCarty, though it’s a P22 officially.

There’s a natty SH McCarty quilt on a Reverb right now with your name all over it! Sorry! :D
I may have seen it. it has the upgraded adjustable stop bar tail piece? No f hole but chambered. Mid to late 2g's in price tag? If so, I have definitely seen it. And had I not gotten that CU22 at such a ridiculous price, I would have been looking towards that one. Now I gotta recover some bank account padding before I look too hard again *sigh*

I may have seen it. it has the upgraded adjustable stop bar tail piece? No f hole but chambered. Mid to late 2g's in price tag? If so, I have definitely seen it. And had I not gotten that CU22 at such a ridiculous price, I would have been looking towards that one. Now I gotta recover some bank account padding before I look too hard again *sigh*
That’s the one! Had a hunch :)

That’s the one! Had a hunch :)
Plus, I am a tattoo artist. The winter is HORRIBLE for this industry. BUT, tax return season is right around the corner. I know a couple of people who already have their W2's....So, when that gets rolling in earnest things will be picking up pretty dramatically and I may well be back on the market again. :D

Plus, I am a tattoo artist. The winter is HORRIBLE for this industry. BUT, tax return season is right around the corner. I know a couple of people who already have their W2's....So, when that gets rolling in earnest things will be picking up pretty dramatically and I may well be back on the market again. :D
It’s good to have something to look forward to! :)

Back