My Journey: The Caretaker vs The Owner

Slightly off topic...

for clarification purposes once and for all...and I have this issue with many on TGP in relation to PRS.

Working your ass off and having the means to purchase fine instruments does not mean one does not have talent.

:box:

There's a flip side to that as well: ever seen a youtube video of someone playing a nice guitar/amp/whatever but who is not good at playing? Immediately the gear police shows up in the comments and insults the poster for not deserving such nice gear for their alleged lack of talent / playing experience. I can only say buy whatever makes you happy and do with it what you like.

Back on topic: discussions like this are fun, but they don't really matter in the grander scheme of things. At the end of your life, you (hopefully) won't look back and think "boy, I wish I had spent more time on internet forums discussing trivia." That's why I don't get that some people get so worked up about stuff like this that they start jabbing at each other on internet forums.

Hans put his thoughts out there. You can agree or you can disagree. But please don't be offended. EDIT: and do not offend. Life's too short.

Someone+is+wrong+on+internet.png

:D

Last edited:
We aren't talking about whatever was in Marcellus Wallace's suitcase here, just guitars....

BTW.....WTF WAS in Marcellus Wallace's suitcase anyway? Brad will never tell. Nor will Marvin. Winston wasn't there at the time....and Vinnie Vega is dead. Whatever it was....it glowed real nice!

I note sadly that even in this forum some believe it is de rigueur to casually dismiss. After all, it IS the internet you say.

And I ask once again, why is it that people say things to each other on the internet that they would not dare say face to face.

There will be (yet another) service morning the death of civility this morning at 10:00 am Eastern.

Last edited:
BTW.....WTF WAS in Marcellus Wallace's suitcase anyway? Brad will never tell. Nor will Marvin. Winston wasn't there at the time....and Vinnie Vega is dead. Whatever it was....it glowed real nice!

I believe the general consensus is that it was his soul....

I note sadly that even in this forum some believe it is de rigueur to casually dismiss. After all, it IS the internet you say.

And I ask once again, why is it that people say things to each other on the internet that they would not dare say face to face.

Spot on.

My post above is incomplete: it should've said "Please don't be offended and do not offend."

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;25324 said:
when you really own a guitar, it becomes more than a tool; it becomes a diary of a life well-lived.

Anyway... I am an Owner at heart and I often act like a Caretaker.

Though we didn't get to spend much time at the same table at Exp 2012, this is why I enjoyed the opportunities that we did. Kindred spirit kind of thing. From my perspective, you 'get it' in a grounded sort of fashion. And that's a breath of fresh air. Very cool. :cool:

When guests come to my house for the first time, walk thru the front door and see the guitars on the wall in the living room, they usually say something like, "nice collection". I almost take a defensive stance and reply, "it's not really a collection, I'm just a player with a variety of tools". But I treat them like I do all of my stuff...with kid gloves (as much as possible). Not because I'm preserving value or the caretaker tendencies you describe, but because I keep my stuff meticulously - for ME. Accidents happen and I know it, but they still sting. It's like I just hurt one of my best friends. And because there's sentiment attached to most of these guitars, it makes it worse. Recent damage to my Cu24 instantly comes to mind. Yikes...still too fresh of a wound. :( Regardless, I believe my split is 80/20 owner to caretaker and that's because I have one collectable guitar to, one day, sell.

Love for my guitars is an extension of my love for making music. And that's at the core of my being. I only wish everyone could experience that feeling. Maybe by taking the business aspect of guitar ownership out of the equation it could happen for more people.

Very cool! My brother is a drummer and he's always really chill about letting them play it....(which they absolutely love to do) meanwhile I'm always afraid they are gonna hit one of the shells and mess it up!

Fortunately, the way most sets are set up, the actual drum shells don't present much of a target - only the heads and rims. The rims (unless it is a very eclectic set*) are usually made from some hard alloy - chromium cobalt for one - and can take a beating from wooden sticks. The heads are meant to be bashed and are replaceable at any rate, so have at 'em!

I think the only real dangers from non-players is knocking something over or sticking at such an angle as to prematurely dent or break a head.

---------
*I have seen some very high end sets with hardwood rims instead of metal.

Spot on.

My post above is incomplete: it should've said "Please don't be offended and do not offend."

Thanks Alex - I thought I was alone in this this morning...

"The Internet as we know it may be in its final stages of existence. Granted, this is a bold statement." from this site...

Last edited:
Back on topic: discussions like this are fun, but they don't really matter in the grander scheme of things.

Actually, the whole point of this thread - for me - is that this does matter in the grander scheme of things - especially MY life. That's what this whole thing is about; the things that matter to me vs. the things that really matter - and the wisdom to know the difference.

As Les said... it's philosophical.

At the end of your life, you (hopefully) won't look back and think "boy, I wish I had spent more time on internet forums discussing trivia." That's why I don't get that some people get so worked up about stuff like this that they start jabbing at each other on internet forums.

That's 100% true for me. Arguing the finer points of this philosophy on an internet forum may not really matter - but being understood matters a great deal to me. As I mentioned to a friend on the phone, I don't care if I'm at odds with another person so long as I have accurately represented myself. But... if I am at odds with another person over a misunderstanding, then I am not being impeccable with my word.

Hans put his thoughts out there. You can agree or you can disagree.

And let me add... why are we even here if we cannot share our thoughts?

Hans,

I did not mean that your point does not matter. Of course it does to you, that's why you posted in the first place.

What i was referring to is that people read something into another person's post and take offense. And again others react to that and potentially offend others. What i was trying to say was that i think that people shouldn't get too worked up about stuff they read on internet forums. Edit: and should put some thought into their reactions because orhers only have their writren words to go by.

But I'm not a native speaker so often i need lots of words and still don't get my point across.

Cheers

Last edited:
I will say that my wife and children are a great barometer in this regard...
isn't that the truth?

Next time you think something matters - especially on an internet forum - tell your wife and kids. If they roll their eyes at you, guess what?

;)

This issue matters to you though, and it extends to your family.

If I could get back down to one or two guitars my fiancé would be thrilled that there is no longer a guitar rack next to the bed in our one bedroom apartment. If she could have the closet I am using as a studio she would be thrilled! I see the way she sizes up that room whenever she walks in, and I half-expect she has some closet organizer plans stuffed in her underwear drawer waiting for that day.

I see the way she sizes up that room whenever she walks in, and I half-expect she has some closet organizer plans stuffed in her underwear drawer waiting for that day.

I'm mostly finished with the new basement studio - now I actually am going to do the closet organizer as the next project. I write that like I won't benefit, but you know that I will.....

Wow... I go travel for a couple of days and this thread has taken a journey all it's own. Looked like it might take a wrong turn but it wandered and ended up in a happy place. One where we realize we're a bunch of guys that care about our guitars. For some, that care is like a collector caring for a piece of fine art that they have been in-trusted with - others who care, but use for them as tools of their art and like a Craftsman with their tools provide proper care. And many, like myself who are somewhere in the middle. ;)
All valid, All appreciative of the fine instruments that PRS provides us to enjoy! :D

Oh and since we have already referenced it here, I get the same look on my face when I open a PRS case as when Vincent opened THE CASE.

"We Happy!?"

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a third possibility, Hans: Owners who take care of their stuff! And for themselves, not for the next guy.

In fact, there are probably as many possibilities as there are people.

I have never thought of guitars as an investment. I've never, ever worried about, or even given a moment's thought, to resale value. Resale value is irrelevant to me, despite the fact that I've bought and sold many. I don't plan on selling them, it just seems to happen sometimes.

I take care of my guitars because I enjoy OWNING pristine ones!

And certainly not to build a collection, since as you know, I am not that guy.

Example of my habits:

In the past I had expensive European cars I kept pristine enough to participate in concours events, but I also raced those very same cars on the track. You want to tell me I didn't OWN cars I drove on race tracks?

Come to think of it, my brother won several autocross championships with his immaculate 1973 Lotus JPS that he bought in 1974. It's also been his daily driver to this day! I would say he owns the car after 38 years... But it still looks new. He's his own PTC. :)

Any guitar I have gets played on sessions for my livelihood. All of my studio equipment gets daily use. But I take really, really good care of it. Which is not difficult, and requires no special treatment beyond being a bit careful and fixing anything that goes wrong. I have preamps that look new after 20 years in the rack. Does it matter that they look new? I own those preamps.

Owning a instrument, and keeping that instrument in pristine shape, are NOT mutually exclusive. I OWN my guitars, dagnab it. ;)

You don't own a car any less if you have a dent repaired do you? Or if you wax it? Why would you feel that you have to keep dents and scratches on a guitar when they, too, can easily be repaired? One day your daughter may dent your car. You gonna keep the dent to remind yourself how cute she was at 16?

Nor does one drive a car carelessly in order to "own" it.

The whole categorization of owners vs. caretakers is pointless, since everyone's habits are different. Why the need to generalize?

I completely agree with Markie!

Yeah. I'm an OWNER. And my guitars look freakin' GREAT.

I agree completely. I play my guitars hard, but as Markie pointed out I don't wear anythink that I know is going to cause harm to the guitar. Every now and then my 3 1/2 year old son puts a scratch or mark in one of my guitars and I can deal with that. I am also obsessive about keeping them clean and giving them a full detail with every string change. Finally, I can honestly say that I no longer have an emotional attachment to any guitar I own. They are all on the chopping block if something better comes along.

Back