My HXDA and DG30 Do Enough Stuff. Why Do I Have My Mesa Amps?

I'm definitely not saying HXDA over HDRX, because I've never played through an HDRX. I can't compare them!

PS, where in MI are you located?

I'm actually a steaming pile of...uh...er...wisdom and experience!!! ;)

We have much in common! My 594 Soapy is stellar with the DG30, and I love my Semi-Hollow Special with the DG as well. They both go really nicely with it. In fact, the DG is the amp that gets the most play with both of those guitars.

I usually use the McCarty Singlecut, the CU24, and the PS 20th Anniversary model with the HXDA. I love my HXDA, but I feel the very same way about my DG30. Both of my PRS amps get more play than the Mesa amps, hence this thread.
Sorry for the delay. Bloomfield.

The Akoya is a cool amp. At some point I'll get another Two Rock.

The think about the PRS amps that I love is that they sound so transparent and authentically vintage, and this is one of the things I like best about them. This, even though the DG30 isn't a clone of any amp - it still sounds vintage.

Before I dig into another TR, though, I'm still on the hunt for the perfect Vox style amp, and it may have to be a Matchess HC30. And even that's going to depend on projects that come up.

What a classy pairing! Plus the Cali Tweed is the nicest looking Mesa I've ever had the pleasure to lay eyes on.
A real nice AC30 is the AC30 HWH. It's handwired in Vietnam and it's a killer design and amp. Two great sounding channels each with a different voice. You can bypass the master volume so it doesn't load the signal at all and sounds like an old, non-master volume AC30. Or switch it in and use it! It's a very good sounding master volume design.

Heads go for around a grand.

I sold my Matchless DC30 and SC30 and bought the AC30HWH. The Vox sounds better to me. Something kind of stiff about the Matchless sound.

You really need Celestion G12 alnico 12's to get that authentic Vox tone though. Not Greenbacks.

A real nice AC30 is the AC30 HWH. It's handwired in Vietnam and it's a killer design and amp. Two great sounding channels each with a different voice. You can bypass the master volume so it doesn't load the signal at all and sounds like an old, non-master volume AC30. Or switch it in and use it! It's a very good sounding master volume design.

Heads go for around a grand.

I sold my Matchless DC30 and SC30 and bought the AC30HWH. The Vox sounds better to me. Something kind of stiff about the Matchless sound.

You really need Celestion G12 alnico 12's to get that authentic Vox tone though. Not Greenbacks.
I agree on the Alnico Celestions with any AC30 style amp - heck, I like Alnico speakers anyway - but I come down on the side of the Matchless C30 vs. the AC30 HW - the Matchless "crushed glass" sound is unique and gorgeous (same with Bad Cat's version designed originally by the same person, Mark Sampson). The Matchless has a dimensionality and immediacy that I like.

I encountered a DC30 for the first time in a studio in Amsterdam in the '90s, and fell in love with its tone.

But they're all great amps. There's nothing wrong with the Vox HW amps, they sound great. It's all personal preference.

Funny. I sold both my HXDA and DG30(with matching cabinets) but kept my Mesa Lonestar 100 head and it's matching 2x12 cabinet...

Zero regrets.
Proving once again that we're all different.

I'd sell my Lone Star 100 WAY before I'd part with the HXDA or DG30. Wouldn't even be close. But there's nothing wrong with your preference, either. The Lone Star is a fine amp, and I like mine, too, more so on Channel 1 than channel 2.

Proving once again that we're all different.

I'd sell my Lone Star 100 WAY before I'd part with the HXDA or DG30. Wouldn't even be close. But there's nothing wrong with your preference, either. The Lone Star is a fine amp, and I like mine, too, more so on Channel 1 than channel 2.
I can’t seem to find an HXDA for sale. Not that I need one, but…. Also curious what a 20 watt of that would sound like compared to the current offering.

I can’t seem to find an HXDA for sale. Not that I need one, but…. Also curious what a 20 watt of that would sound like compared to the current offering.
For a while you could find them here and there, but now people seem to be hanging onto them.

The HXDA is different from the HDRX in a few ways; the HXDA combines a literal clone of Duane Allman's actual amp, from 'Live at the Fillmore' (which was a Marshall Superbass; The Allman Brothers Band were PRS amp endorsers and knew where the original amp was), with a Superlead that can be progressively switched in via three switches.

Apparently the original amps were very close in design, only a few different parts are involved, and that's what gets switched in or out.

The Superlead bit was cloned from one of Eric Johnson's amps.

The HDRX is a copy of the modded circuit in one of Hendrix' touring amps that was done in LA by an amp tech.

So they're kinda similar, but different.

I've had both the 50 and the 30 HXDAs, and the main difference is that the 50 had more bloom on the low end, while the 30 is a tiny bit tighter. They use the same tubes, and the amp is the same. Doug Sewell told me that the difference between the two amps is the B+ rails.

Not that I have a clue what the B+ rails even do. ;)

With the arrival of my Hi-Tone 50 watt (which I highly, highly recommend for any Hiwatt fans), any HXDA hunting is probably a ways off, but on paper it seems to be the one I would like to add, probably in place of the HDRX. If PRS is listening, maybe they will reissue it?

At Fillmore East is still fresh today in my opinion. It’s a great album to randomly pull out and listen straight through.

I am now, of course, curious about these magic B+ rails.

With the arrival of my Hi-Tone 50 watt (which I highly, highly recommend for any Hiwatt fans), any HXDA hunting is probably a ways off, but on paper it seems to be the one I would like to add, probably in place of the HDRX. If PRS is listening, maybe they will reissue it?

At Fillmore East is still fresh today in my opinion. It’s a great album to randomly pull out and listen straight through.

I am now, of course, curious about these magic B+ rails.
It's hard not to love a Hiwatt! Enjoy it!

Fillmore East...OMG when the HXDA 50 that was my first one arrived, I switched it into Duane mode, and there it was. THAT sound! I was floored and instantly fell in love.

I agree with you on what a fantastic, classic album Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore is, and how it really set the bar for blues-rock recordings. I had it on vinyl when it came out, had it on CD, and now have it on High Definition digital.

I could probably listen to it daily, but I think my wife would run downstairs screaming, "Not again!!"

The 30W version is the same, but ever-so-slightly tighter in the bass. That's what I felt I needed for my ad tracks. However, even the 50W has a very good Master Volume, and I could have easily stuck with the 50W, just rolled a bit of bass off. They're pretty darn close.

Unfortunately, I'm That Guy who had to try both models, and sold the 50 to get the 30. ;)

Les,

One who eats their favorite food at every meal for the rest of their life will eventually find it unappealing. They will forget why it was their favorite. Life is best with variety and contrast.

You may not like the Mesa as much as the HXDA & DG30, but you benefit from the sound reminding you why you love the PRS amps so much. For that reason alone the Mesa is worthy of a place in your studio. It costs you nothing but space. And some day you can pass it on with mabe a guitar to someone you love who will cherish it because you cared enough to think of them and they will remember you fondly for the rest of their days as the sounds remind them of why you were their favorite.

Sincerely,
John
Thanks, John, and no doubt you're right!

On the other hand, I have a quinoa and bean burger every day for lunch, with a tablespoon of hummus and a dill pickle. I can't explain it, but it works. Been doing this for 4-5 years.

It's helped me drop 20 pounds off my weight and keep it there, and I'm finally passing my cardiac stress tests! Plus I actually like it.

I also wear jeans and a black tailored, stretchy T shirt every single day, except for special occasions, which are few and far between. I've been doing this for about 20 years.

I have no explanation for it. It just works. I like not having to think about clothing, yet I used to be a clothes horse and was into fashion. Dunno what happened.

I realize that, yes, I'm completely out of my mind and should probably be committed to institutional care. You'd think I'd be sick of this crap. But no!

I haven't gotten sick of either thing. Go figure!

Last edited:
It's hard not to love a Hiwatt! Enjoy it!

Fillmore East...OMG when the HXDA 50 that was my first one arrived, I switched it into Duane mode, and there it was. THAT sound! I was floored and instantly fell in love.

I agree with you on what a fantastic, classic album Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore is, and how it really set the bar for blues-rock recordings. I had it on vinyl when it came out, had it on CD, and now have it on High Definition digital.

I could probably listen to it daily, but I think my wife would run downstairs screaming, "Not again!!"

The 30W version is the same, but ever-so-slightly tighter in the bass. That's what I felt I needed for my ad tracks. However, even the 50W has a very good Master Volume, and I could have easily stuck with the 50W, just rolled a bit of bass off. They're pretty darn close.

Unfortunately, I'm That Guy who had to try both models, and sold the 50 to get the 30. ;)
Not having the opportunity to try them out (or the present resources to buy), I wonder how it compares against the Metropoulos or Germino or other plexi clone variants. I read a lot so I have these names in my head.

Not having the opportunity to try them out (or the present resources to buy), I wonder how it compares against the Metropoulos or Germino or other plexi clone variants. I read a lot so I have these names in my head.
I've had the pleasure of playing through two excellent Metropoulos models at my local store, because the amps are made maybe 15 minutes from where I live.

Terrific amps!

I haven't tried a Germino. Haven't found one to play through.

Anyway, the Metropoulos are 'similar but different'. The HXDA gives me more 'glue' and thickness at lower volume, but remember, as soon as I got it I bought NOS Mullard preamp tubes and later, NOS Siemens power tubes. Might be...Honeycrisp vs Fuji apples.

The voicing was a little different. Enough that I almost bought the Metro to have alongside my HXDA. Which, I know, woulda been kind of wasteful, but I'm that guy.

The Metro, cranked, was also stellar. Would I be happy with both? You bet!

I've had the pleasure of playing through two excellent Metropoulos models at my local store, because the amps are made maybe 15 minutes from where I live.

Terrific amps!

I haven't tried a Germino. Haven't found one to play through.

Anyway, the Metropoulos are 'similar but different'. The HXDA gives me more 'glue' and thickness at lower volume, but remember, as soon as I got it I bought NOS Mullard preamp tubes and later, NOS Siemens power tubes. Might be...Honeycrisp vs Fuji apples.

The voicing was a little different. Enough that I almost bought the Metro to have alongside my HXDA. Which, I know, woulda been kind of wasteful, but I'm that guy.

The Metro, cranked, was also stellar. Would I be happy with both? You bet!
Motor City or another shop? if it were not for my lack of solder talent, I would be volunteering to make amps for those guys. That would be like yoga for the guitar minded.

Motor City or another shop? if it were not for my lack of solder talent, I would be volunteering to make amps for those guys. That would be like yoga for the guitar minded.
Motor City. Haven't been there in a while, I really should pay a visit!

If you do, please buy the Gibson Les Paul Standard I am selling on consignment!!!
I have that wonderful McCarty Singlecut from the 2014 PS run, and it scratches that itch and then some.

But I hope you get a great price for it!

I don’t know Les…I have a DG30 and HXDA, but I don’t let that discourage me from owning a Mesa or two.

GFaMsGm.jpg

DwUHE7r.jpg
Ya know, there comes a point at which a person needs to go horizontal instead of vertical, and you may have reached it! ;)

Seriously, nice amp setup! And some great pieces in that set!

Back