My HXDA and DG30 Do Enough Stuff. Why Do I Have My Mesa Amps?

László

Too Many Notes
I'll be honest: When I think about it, I have no idea why I have them!

This is why I posted the 'do I just like cute amp boxes' thread. I mean, my Mesas are great amps, no doubt about it, but compared to my PRS amps...they're my second choice.

Doug Sewell is an amplifier genius when left to his own devices. I could easily make a living with my DG30 and HXDA. Am I simply stupid for having more than the necessary PRS amps?

Inquiring minds want your unvarnished opinion. ;)

"Would you buy a varnished guitar, Les?"

"No. The oldest clear coat finish technology I'd buy is nitro. Varnish is too soft."

"Well, there's your unvarnished opinion, then."

"Um...not exactly..."

EDIT AND DISCLAIMER:

Please ignore my comments here. I get these urges to have purges, and then come up with rationalizations for why that makes sense. This thread was posted during one of those urges. I'm not sure I still feel that way, and it's only one day later.

Last edited:
I love Doug’s stuff, but to my ear Mesa is enough different that I think it deserves some space.

To be fair, I’ve played Mesa for most of my guitar life and it is a good match for what’s in my head, perhaps because it’s all I had for so long. So to me, Sewell is the other voice.
I've been a Mesa player for 30+ years, too. But at this point, Mesa is my alternate voice, PRS is my main voice.

Nonetheless, you've given me good food for thought!

Your guitar voice is your guitar voice and what gets you there is important , got my first Mesa in 82 and my MKV is the only amp I NEED but I have been trying to branch out , had a DG30 for a hot min wasn't the right time for me , Played an HXDA at MaPetes still think I would like that.
I have a PRS H that I like and now a Vibrolux and an HXRX 20 on the way we will see.
At the moment I seem to be looking at amps more than guitars

The PRS amps are all Marshall lineage stuff, the Mesas you have are Fendery stuff, right?

I don't actually like anything that's not a Mark-Series from Mesa. They just feel too single-dimensional, probably because they are basically each trying to ape a thing.
Very good point, though the DG30 is kind of a blend that includes a bit of Fender Tweed, but also Vox and Hiwatt.

At the moment I seem to be looking at amps more than guitars
I guess I'm more of an amp person lately, too. I'm probably just trying to justify this week's urge to purge.

Les,

One who eats their favorite food at every meal for the rest of their life will eventually find it unappealing. They will forget why it was their favorite. Life is best with variety and contrast.

You may not like the Mesa as much as the HXDA & DG30, but you benefit from the sound reminding you why you love the PRS amps so much. For that reason alone the Mesa is worthy of a place in your studio. It costs you nothing but space. And some day you can pass it on with mabe a guitar to someone you love who will cherish it because you cared enough to think of them and they will remember you fondly for the rest of their days as the sounds remind them of why you were their favorite.

Sincerely,
John

I don’t know Les…I have a DG30 and HXDA, but I don’t let that discourage me from owning a Mesa or two.

GFaMsGm.jpg

DwUHE7r.jpg

Les,

One who eats their favorite food at every meal for the rest of their life will eventually find it unappealing. They will forget why it was their favorite. Life is best with variety and contrast.

You may not like the Mesa as much as the HXDA & DG30, but you benefit from the sound reminding you why you love the PRS amps so much. For that reason alone the Mesa is worthy of a place in your studio. It costs you nothing but space. And some day you can pass it on with mabe a guitar to someone you love who will cherish it because you cared enough to think of them and they will remember you fondly for the rest of their days as the sounds remind them of why you were their favorite.

Sincerely,
John
Good thoughts, John. Actually, I've made decent money with the Mesa amps in my arsenal, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

The guitars have already been allocated in the event of my demise, but if my kids only remember me fondly because they got some nice guitars that would really, really suck!! ;)

If it weren’t for hoarders like myself keeping amp builders in business…real musicians such as yourself might not have as many good choices.

You’re welcome.
Ever since I became obsessed with orchestral music, I've realized that my becoming a professional musician was more the result of very good luck than skilll, so I've turned in my Real Musician identity card, and now carry the Just Some Random Dude card.

Nonetheless, I can't thank you enough for the variety of amps on the market! :)

Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it......or something like that. ;)

Variety is nice but it is even nicer to find your voice, know what works for you and what doesn't and stick to what you need AND be content in doing so.

Inquiring minds want your unvarnished opinion. ;)

"Would you buy a varnished guitar, Les?"

"No. The oldest clear coat finish technology I'd buy is nitro. Varnish is too soft."

"Well, there's your unvarnished opinion, then."

"Um...not exactly..."

Queen Elizabeth I: [Speaking of Edmund:] "Well then he's vanished. Simply vanished."

Lord Percy Percy: "Like an old oak table."

Queen Elizabeth I: "Vanished, Lord Percy, not varnished."

Lord Percy Percy: "Forgive me, my lady, but my uncle Bertram’s old oak table completely vanished. ‘Twas on the night of the great Stepney fire. And on that same terrible night, his house and all his other things completely vanished too.

So did he, in fact. It was a most perplexing mystery."

Queen Elizabeth I: [Speaking of Edmund:] "Well then he's vanished. Simply vanished."

Lord Percy Percy: "Like an old oak table."

Queen Elizabeth I: "Vanished, Lord Percy, not varnished."

Lord Percy Percy: "Forgive me, my lady, but my uncle Bertram’s old oak table completely vanished. ‘Twas on the night of the great Stepney fire. And on that same terrible night, his house and all his other things completely vanished too.

So did he, in fact. It was a most perplexing mystery."
Hahahaha! Loved reading this.

Back