My HNGD is going to take a while...

Baimun

Each day, a new piece arrives in the mail. :)

Yesterday:
ctrlx.jpg

Today:
piezo.jpg

:D

NICEEEEE! Installation won't be that bad - just follow these steps

Step 1: rebox parts
Step 2: Mail to PTC
Step 3: Open box and play

:lol:

But I'm looking forward to using my new Drill Press to make the piezo wire holes in the tremolo. :p

Baimun said:
But I'm looking forward to using my new Drill Press to make the piezo wire holes in the tremolo. :p

Nice!!! Cant wait to see the finished product. Are you modding graphtech saddles to the LR Baggs system or do you have another trick up your sleeve?

Don't forget to also cut/drill notches in the wood for the wires so they don't get pinched when the tremolo is in use. Skitchy did 6 halfcircles on my Custom 22 which you can kind of see here:

IMG_0745.jpg

The LR Baggs saddles I have come with a small summing plate. I'll drill the saddles through, solder them to the summing plate and then glue that to the underside of the bridge (or maybe on the block).

then there's only one braided wire that goes from the summing board back to the preamp.

I decided to put the LR Baggs on this CU22 I've had sitting around for a while. All the finish had been sanded off of it when I got it including the face of the headstock (fortunately the serial number is still on the back of the headstock.)

mred01.jpg

I just glued a rosewood veneer to the headstock and glued a nut in place.

This thread gets more and more intriguing every time I come for a look-see.

Is it wrong to be as excited by this as I presume you are? :D

I just realized that the Mary Kay Soapy that Alan Rickman has in my avatar is probably the subliminal inspiration for this guitar. ;)

A couple small steps tonight, but ones that you may find interesting.

I removed all 6 PRS saddles, and took apart the three allen screws holding the top plate (nickel plated brass) to the trem block (unplated brass), and drilled the six holes required to get the wiring for the piezo saddles through the bridge plate.
piezo06.jpg

Here you can see that I tried to get the six holes as close to the block as possible. I slightly grouped in the outside two saddles as the little summing plate that the saddles solder to isn't as wide as the saddle spacing.
piezo07.jpg

Reassembling the bridge. The little circuit board that the saddles all get soldered to is also in the picture. One braided cable will run from the bridge to the piezo preamp.
piezo08.jpg

As I mount the saddles, you can see that I dremmeled each hole to include a smoother transition for the wire so they won't have any sharp edges to run across and break or cut through the casing and short out the saddle.
piezo09.jpg

As soon as I figure out what drawer I put my #$@%^#$%&^ soldering equipment in, I'll stick this board to the block and solder all the connections. :p
piezo10.jpg

Baimun hasn't logged in in over a year. :( I would also love to see the result. Maybe he couldn't ever remember which drawer his soldering equipment was in.

Back