My Hierarchy Of Amp Stuff That Matters

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by LSchefman, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

My goal, playing out, has always been to add - constructively - to the group’s performance. I’m not the centerpiece. Don’t want to or need to be. But, if the group wasn’t performing up to a certain standard, I would NOT be performing for pay. You not only open yourself up to public ridicule (rightly so), you do irreparable reputational damage that follows you forever. There’s guts then there’s stupidity.

Being a solo act has never been on my radar. No open mic nights by myself or anything like that. Even if I was reasonably entertaining, I’d be exposed in a way that doesn’t exist in a band setting. But if I did, and someone was critical, I’d be woodshedding for a long time before returning to the stage. Or, never return.

2. Bill SAS 513

Bill SAS 513 Just another old guy in a T-shirt

PM sent...

Going Modal likes this.
  3. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Great thoughts, here.

My only comment is that sometimes it's ok to expose one's self. If you get knocked on your butt, you get up, work on things, and get back on the horse. Never give up.

You're tough-minded enough for me to know that the "never return" option would not be on your to-do list.

4. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Plugged In...On Standby Only

Nope. You work. You leave work. You arrive home. You do your daily routine. You leave home. You return to work. You supposedly get paid for your work.

Repeat ad infinitum. The extra stuff is just information we may not need.

5. DreamTheaterRules

CP, at some point you need to accept how things are. There is the “I go to work for this much money per hour, do my job, get paid, and go home” type job, and there is also the “I get paid to perform” job. Sales jobs don’t pay you to show up, they pay you to SELL. You don’t sell, you don’t get paid. You sell, you get paid. You sell a lot, and you get paid a lot. It almost is like a sport! And that’s another thing that... yeah, you don’t just show up and participate, and get rewarded. Unless it’s NOW. I never got a participation trophy in my life, and I wouldn’t have taken it if I did. I also never got paid when I wasn’t performing, because I have a sales job. Perform, or don’t get paid.

While music overall is not supposed to be that way, once you enter the “performing musician” arena, it very much becomes the same way. If you’re Rush, you can sell out a 20K arena and everyone will scream even if you mess up. If you’re a hack singing karaoke at a local bar who can’t stay on pitch at all, you may get boo’d out of the place. That’s just the way it is. People can be mean, and life can be tough. You can do everything right, except sell, and you won’t get paid. You can be nice and good and help others and support the team and... not sell,= no money! Thing is, if you play music for people, they don’t owe you anything unless you earn it. While there is NEVER a reason to be mean to other people, the truth is, you can’t make others be nice to you.

If you play for your own pleasure, that is it’s own reward. If you play for others, it’s up too them whether or not they appreciate it. That’s just the way it is.

6. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

The “I” wasn’t necessarily me. Being a solo act really isn’t my thing, but you’re right, I’d turn a tough performing night into a self-deprecating comedy routine…then come back in force. That’s not always the right advice for everyone. I’ve played with people that had no business on stage, whose tone deaf wife/mother did them a disservice by telling them they were amazing.

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I resemble that remark!

Alnus Rubra and Boogie like this.
  8. NazgulUK

NazgulUK Oops I did it again

[​IMG]

9. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

Ha!

Not buying it.

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  10. CandidPicker

Hourly wage here. FTR, I'm not a mechanic. Some things folks do mechanically. Others march to their own beat. When I work, I try to avoid distractions. Some are easily distracted. Do you think your life has ever been easy? Perhaps when you've been helped to see things really aren't that difficult. What's the difference? Some work hard and do their jobs each day. Others take the easy route, and make life difficult for others. Which one are you? One who works together with people, or one who expects to receive pay while throwing others under the bus?

This is how my life has been. And while sometimes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, I choose to not complain, otherwise businesses would make me pay more. That's the price of having the right to complain about your lot in life.

What's my real concern? A healthy environment in which to work. Our business has adequate HVAC, but not so much clean water or healthy food. That's fine, I usually bring my own water and food. It's the stories we've heard about "sick buildings" which don't have clean air to breathe that pose a health risk to employees.

With the pandemic still persisting, it's concerning as the beginning of the school year approaches and kids gather in groups. It's this group that brings home sickness from school and spreads it among the community. I'd be concerned because both my and your life might depend upon it.

How do I know this? Like others, I work in a health-related field. It happens each year. With masking requirements, the chance of coming down with Covid or colds and flu are decreased. Yet, it's still concerning when folks disregard both store policy and local mandates that require masking.

Why am I not always nice to others? Perhaps when others realize we breathe the same air and share the same workspace, they'd be more considerate. It's not up to me to enforce masking; I only worry that someday, some infected person will be responsible for my contracting Covid or flu. At my age, I can't afford it. It's a work hazard, and as the holidays approach, I can't help but think families will gather for their holiday parties, which will further pose health risks among the infirm and elderly.

Why do I worry? It's because I love and cherish the life I have, and my friends and loved ones' lives. I wouldn't want to be responsible for spreading sickness among my family or friends. There are too many short-sighted people who are interested only in the Almighty dollar who don't care about what I or others say about thinking about the next person and how they might wish to be treated. It's truly sad, and I'm too old to not care about the future, what hopes I have, or my personal beliefs.

While this all sounds rather personal, and wearing my emotions on my sleeve, my focus is on my work, staying healthy and awake to what problems exist at my job and in our world, not wasting valuable time with trivial things. You'll see that others have this view as well, but sometimes they're only interested in what they can collect and party with. Some folks have no idea of reality.

#30 CandidPicker, Aug 27, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    Going Modal and LSchefman like this.
  11. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Sounds like good stuff to me, CP. Sometimes it's good to wear your emotions on your sleeve and talk about things like this with friends. :)

Alnus Rubra and Going Modal like this.
  12. CandidPicker

Thanks, Les, you're a good guy. Although I know your beliefs may not allow for it, you could happily be a guest at my family's Sunday Pork Roast Dinner with all the trimmings. If you couldn't make it, we'd save a seat for you so you could be here in spirit. It might even be possible to bake something for dessert. That's how we do it in New England.

LSchefman and Going Modal like this.
  13. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Sounds great! My wife's an excellent baker and always brings dessert to get-togethers.

Alnus Rubra and CandidPicker like this.