My Hierarchy Of Amp Stuff That Matters

László

Too Many Notes
So, tube amps. I've got 'em, many of you have 'em. The various amps on the market all sound different, each has its own flavor. Here's what I try to look for in an amp:

1. First, how does the darn thing sound? Is this a tone or set of tones I want to live with for a long time? Is it different from what I have, or does it sound too much like one of my current amps? If yes to both, move on to the second thing on the list.

2. How well is it built? Will it hold up over the long haul? Are the materials, cabinetry and parts of high quality? F'rinstance, MDF cabinets are an automatic disqualifier for me (YMMV). Is it hand wired (bonus points) or at least high quality, heavy duty PCB with solid standoffs? There are plenty of 'gut shots' on the web for nearly any amp, so you can see the innards before you go shopping. If well-made, go to the next thing on the list.

3. I like to be able to tweak the tone of an amp subtly to match my musical tastes. Can this be done with different tubes, or speakers, or is its potential maxed out with whatever it comes with? This, admittedly, is difficult to know in advance, but I do ask around. Sometimes I even find out! ;)

4. Is it available as a head and separate cab, or am I stuck with a combo (I've learned the hard way that heads and cabs are easier for me to move around than a heavy combo, so I bought my last combo 6 years ago)?

5. Do I actually want to look at this thing for the next umpteen years? There are some weird-looking amps out there, but some are both nice looking and great sounding.

Les, as usual you are dead on. I ask myself one question when buying amps and/or cars: Will the chicks dig me more if I buy it?

Great idea for a thread...I have a few Tube heads from a certain "Doctor" that I love...and I am all about simplicity.
I've purchased them all used, and went over them , cleaning up everything, and they sound great.

I would add 1 thing to your list...Does the amp need biasing each time you change tubes???? With tubes being an integral part of a sound, I like trying different types.
(Short of learning how to adjust the bias on amps...that is...)

Great idea for a thread...I have a few Tube heads from a certain "Doctor" that I love...and I am all about simplicity.
I've purchased them all used, and went over them , cleaning up everything, and they sound great.

I would add 1 thing to your list...Does the amp need biasing each time you change tubes???? With tubes being an integral part of a sound, I like trying different types.
(Short of learning how to adjust the bias on amps...that is...)

If an amp needs biasing when changing tubes, I only buy it if there are external bias ports, like on the PRS amps.

Only if the amp will help turn heads and make people listen to what I play. Otherwise, I want no part of it.

The amp plays a supporting role, but isn't the star. The amp will never be the star. The playing is the star attraction, the sine qua non of the performance.

So either one's playing is stellar and turns heads, or it isn't, in which case it will be ignored or criticized, regardless of the amp.

That's the simple reality of the situation. However, all this doesn't mean that the search for good tone is pointless. It has a point even if you're the only one who listens to your material, in my opinion.

For me, maybe people listen to my commercial tracks, maybe they're away from the TV taking a leak when the ad comes on, or DVRing through it. I don't really care.

I write the tracks, do the sessions, and if everyone's happy, bonus, payday. I'm good with that.

For that reason, personal inspiration is what drives my choice of amps. If I'm happy, I play better. I have a better time. When I have a better time and play better, in general, clients are happier.

For that, the amp matters. Simple as that. My reaction to the playing and tone is the only part of the equation I'm in charge of and can control. But it's an awfully important part of the equation.

Last edited:
…If I'm happy, I play better. I have a better time. When I have a better time play better...
To expand on this, if I sound really good, I’m inspired. Inspiration makes me happy and when I’m happy, I play better. Perhaps that’s measured in fewer beer bottles thrown my direction…not sure. Regardless, a win is a win. So, sound good, just for you.

To expand on this, if I sound really good, I’m inspired. Inspiration makes me happy and when I’m happy, I play better. Perhaps that’s measured in fewer beer bottles thrown my direction…not sure. Regardless, a win is a win. So, sound good, just for you.

I'm not surprised at all that we agree completely on this!

The amp plays a supporting role, but isn't the star. The amp will never be the star. The playing is the star attraction, the sine qua non of the performance.

So either one's playing is stellar and turns heads, or it isn't, in which case it will be ignored or criticized, regardless of the amp.

That's the simple reality of the situation. However, all this doesn't mean that the search for good tone is pointless. It has a point even if you're the only one who listens to your material, in my opinion.

For me, maybe people listen to my commercial tracks, maybe they're away from the TV taking a leak when the ad comes on, or DVRing through it. I don't really care.

I write the tracks, do the sessions, and if everyone's happy, bonus, payday. I'm good with that.

For that reason, personal inspiration is what drives my choice of amps. If I'm happy, I play better. I have a better time. When I have a better time and play better, in general, clients are happier.

For that, the amp matters. Simple as that. My reaction to the playing and tone is the only part of the equation I'm in charge of and can control. But it's an awfully important part of the equation.

What happens if people are often critical of what you do, are you happy then? Do you try to please the naysayers, or something else?

(I usually find that when I'm doing my job correctly, there are fewer folks who complain about my service. You?)

I'd also guess that a cheap guitar and average player will sound better through a good amp, rather than a good guitar and average player through a cheap amp. Perhaps that how one might define quality over skills. It also defines how I might view my personal ability level. I've never had anything to prove except to try to please others and thereby prove myself a good person.

It's too bad that there are folks who think they can play better, and proudly force me to improve, adjust and adapt, or be left behind. As was said, it's the competitive world we live in. Either you're part of it, or no part of it.

My personal belief is that when people cooperate with each other and don't try to outdo others, that's where good things happen. (What you're hearing is me knocking egotists down a few notches. And the reason I walked away from the band scene after my mentor retired. Too much drama and not enough working with each other for the common good.)

Last edited:
What happens if people are often critical of what you do, are you happy then? Do you try to please the naysayers, or something else?

I assume this wasn't a rhetorical question.

In the arts, there are always people who simply aren't into a person's work, and never will be. Accepting the criticism is part of the gig.

Composing for picture is, by its nature, a collaborative work. I'm working with writers, art directors, producers, client services people, video editors, and sometimes get input from the advertising agency's client, to create a mood, or help tell a story, and in general work toward a mutually shared vision of how the spots should turn out.

As you can imagine, there are a lot of opinions.

I've learned to leave my ego at the door and work within the team framework to help achieve that vision. I've largely succeeded at that for 30 years.

Of course, among my friends and family, I'm my usual egotistical self after the project's over. ;)

So, am I happy despite the criticism? Sure. But I'm basically a happy person. The fact that I get paid to do what I love doing makes it all the more fun.

Last edited:
Back