My head is a mess...

cshallcross

So here is the current issue:

I've been playing for about 25 years. I started with Fenders (MIM), and have had Plus's, Deluxe's, US tele's, MIM tele's, Gibson's, Epiphones, 8 strings, vintage Mustangs...basically all over the place. I've had two SE's now and absolutely love them, but I'm craving more. And I feel like I can't help but want something slightly older in a PRS, but budget friendly. So, with that, I feel like some older CE's, or Custom's are good options...but then I spotted a super clean 305 I can budget for. I'm sooooooooo tempted because it would totally cover that empty spot left behind from selling my Deluxe's and Strat Plus. I feel like I'm open to lots of finishes, and setups, but the 305 reminds me of my first love (swamp ash PRS) that I could never obtain as a teen. I'm really looking for a carved top and US hardware, with everything be stock. That's basically it. I know every PRS is going to be lovely for the most part.

So, now that I'm done rambling, can someone knock some sense into me? Do I pull the trigger on the 305 knowing they don't make them anymore, it's spotless, has a carved top, and checks off all of my wants...or do I let this one go and hope for a good deal down the road? I feel this sense of urgency but I know it's GAS.

305 lovers? Haters? Please tell me why.

If there is another PRS that you want more and you can likely afford if you work to save up, just wait. If this is THE PRS for you, go for it!

Don't know if you're talking swamp ash special HSH or NF, or swamp ash studio but I've seen all three at pretty reasonable prices.

You are going to find yourself enamoured with this guitar. My 305 is/was my first core PRS, and I gigged/practiced with it a lot.
Great weight, lovely body carve, fantastic neck, and wonderful locking tuners sealed my fate as a PRS toady... I mean fanboi... I mean lover... oh never mind
Playability is excellent. It may or may not sound a little "darker" than a typical SSS stratty guitar, but I got over that in a heartbeat.
Congrats on pulling the trigger on a really nice axe!

You are going to find yourself enamoured with this guitar. My 305 is/was my first core PRS, and I gigged/practiced with it a lot.
Great weight, lovely body carve, fantastic neck, and wonderful locking tuners sealed my fate as a PRS toady... I mean fanboi... I mean lover... oh never mind
Playability is excellent. It may or may not sound a little "darker" than a typical SSS stratty guitar, but I got over that in a heartbeat.
Congrats on pulling the trigger on a really nice axe!

I've never had the chance to play a 305 in person, but when I was younger we would always go to Sam Ash and I would play on a Swamp Ash (can't recall any other details). It was love. Over the years, Strat Deluxe's became a favorite, but the trade bug has taken me all over the place.

I know that this 305 is likely to be my last splurge for a while, and I'm beyond okay with that. I love blue and green guitars, and I wanted a PRS with a real carved top. A few emerald CU22's sold locally before I could come to my senses, but today I just had to act. I listed my SE CU22, and have a buyer picking it up at my office tomorrow.

Based on recordings and videos, I think it's going to mesh well with my Rectoverb 25 combo, t2 reverb and carbon copy. Dream rig is finally coming together. Not to knock the SE line at all (I'll be grabbing a 277 shortly), but I just needed to experience a real US made Paul and since I'm about to be 35 I figure this is a good time to make it happen.

I've seen it called mint green, and seafoam green (auto correct got me on that before), but whatever it is I'm ready for it to be mine.

I've never had the chance to play a 305 in person, but when I was younger we would always go to Sam Ash and I would play on a Swamp Ash (can't recall any other details). It was love. Over the years, Strat Deluxe's became a favorite, but the trade bug has taken me all over the place.

I know that this 305 is likely to be my last splurge for a while, and I'm beyond okay with that. I love blue and green guitars, and I wanted a PRS with a real carved top. A few emerald CU22's sold locally before I could come to my senses, but today I just had to act. I listed my SE CU22, and have a buyer picking it up at my office tomorrow.

Based on recordings and videos, I think it's going to mesh well with my Rectoverb 25 combo, t2 reverb and carbon copy. Dream rig is finally coming together. Not to knock the SE line at all (I'll be grabbing a 277 shortly), but I just needed to experience a real US made Paul and since I'm about to be 35 I figure this is a good time to make it happen.

I've seen it called mint green, and seafoam green (auto correct got me on that before), but whatever it is I'm ready for it to be mine.
I didn't know squat about PRS until I went to a Dweezil Zappa band camp experience in NY in 2010, so I'm a bit late to the party. I won a SE ONE there and that was it. I was in the market for a EC strat or similar, but the exposure to all those PRSi laying around at the DZ experience sealed my fate. I went looking for a strat type PRS and found my 305 online. Never played one before, like you.
Best decision ever!:D

305 was my second PRS and a sweet ( Gush has it now ) great big sounding guitar it can do lots of things depending on how you set the pickups
Congrats

Hate to say this but you are completely wrong. Once you start playing a 305 you will quickly realize.....you need a 305 backup. Then after that another 305 to backup the backup. Then.....well you get my meaning :)

Back