My first PRS - which one?

The guitar is a 2011 model (L serial number). Any differences to the current model that I should be aware of?

I'm not a Santana expert, but I am not aware of any changes since the re-launch of the SE Santana - back in the early 2000s the Santana had a less-symmetrical body (more like a CU22/strat combo) and had slashies for fretboard inlays instead of birds (or moons). But I think that was discontinued in the mid 2000s, and then the current model relaunched in 2010-ish?

I have the chance of getting a PRS SE Santana (Vintage Yellow) with birds locally for 600 EUR with Gator hardcase included.

Would you think it's a fair price? The guitar is as NEW.

So "as new" =/= "new", right? It is used, but in mint condition?

Considering Thomann sells a new Santana for 899 EUR...it sounds great price wise. However, I'd check it out in person before you buy. There might be a reason why its priced so low.

A 2011 model might be blown out as old-stock, especially since the new SE Standard Santana just got announced (all hog body, like the SE CU 22/24 standards) - avail only in Europe AFAIK.

I'm not a Santana expert, but I am not aware of any changes since the re-launch of the SE Santana - back in the early 2000s the Santana had a less-symmetrical body (more like a CU22/strat combo) and had slashies for fretboard inlays instead of birds (or moons). But I think that was discontinued in the mid 2000s, and then the current model relaunched in 2010-ish?

Quoting myself for the heck of it, to clarify what I wrote.

Just read the Guitar World review of the "new" Santana linked from the PRS Product page, which was written for the 2011 model. So 2011 is when the current model style was first issued. And there was the 2009 Abraxas Santana model.

Any Santana SE owners that can give me some pointers? Cons and pros on this model?

Many thanks ;)

I have been a Gibson person in the electric world with a Strat or two and a Tele always hanging around. I have old (69) and beat up hands and though I used to be a fit, 6 feet and 190 pounds, I have relatively small hands too. Thus, short scales have always been my preference. In December I bought an SE Singlecut from Sweetwater. I have had Les Pauls, Gibson Lucille,( 1990 Custom Shop in those days). I have built acoustics and have 3 LP- style builds in process. In less than 20 minutes, I was hooked, boxed it up and exchanged it for the longer scale S2 Singlecut with a stunning top-Cherry Burst. An S2 is a $3000 guitar for half that. Workmanship is extraordinary- the action feels silky and "short." The electrical aspects equal a contemporary LP Standard. This guitar had a "sneaky" finish flaw that is being handled as if I were someone special by PRS warranty ( a tiny gap on neck at rosewood/mahogany joinder activated by my premium Renaissance wax- finish lifting) . I could have exchanged but I did not want to give up that gorgeous top.

If you can find a way to afford one, get an S2-they will become classics and I do not feel the 1/2 inch scale difference- I doubt you would. I avoid all trems but Bigsby and I attribute the silky action to "wrap-over" fixed design-intonation is perfect. PS- I considered fixing the finish issue myself- done it several times- but PRS is strippng and totally refinishing the neck. No one matches PRS customer respect or service. My S2 quickly became my favorite guitar.

PS- I want to clarify that my 20 minute tryout on the SE was so impressive, I knew I wanted to invest "deeper" in a PRS. On retirement income the S2 was perfect. If I had the money for a "core" it would have been a 245 McCarty Singlecut in a "burst," with fixed bridge.

Last edited:
A bit of stretch buying a USA PRS at the moment even if it's a lower priced model (like the S2).

Option right now is really the SE line.

Don't know yet if buying that used Santana or a new PRS Custom 24 (698 EUR)...

I just fell in love with this: http://prsguitars.com/s2custom24/

violin_amber_sunburst.jpg

1385 EUR... for a guy wanting to spend only 600 EUR is a bit of stretch. Let's save and sell not needed gear... Would you think it would be worth it instead of the SE?

I had to do some selling and "do without" to move up to S2. I was forced to early retirement by health and so income is very limited. I would have enjoyed the SE, but it just made me feel I wanted to have an even nicer PRS. From the price, I assume the pictured guitar is a "core" model. When I was thinking of the exchange to that McCarty, a very experienced PRS owner of "signature" and custom models told me I would get 5% difference for the $1000 difference. I appreciated the honesty (on this forum) and since I was so happy with my S2 I am going refinish at PRS. My remaining guitars are a couple of Strat Partscasters and an Epiphone Dot, Custom Shop Sunburst. Neither is near to as satisfying as the S2- the S2 equals the top quality Les Pauls I have had in better days- while I will continue building as health permits, I believe it is a guitar worth passing on to my grandson.

The price on the santana is worth it if you value the hard case. The new SE or S2 should come with a very nice gig bag which will offer plenty of protection for most people. The s2 is very nice. There will be a bump in overall workmanship and it will just feel good. That said, the SE will likely be a better instrument than anything else double the price if not more(except the s2 of course).

If you are genuinely considering that "core" model, you are a candidate for an S2. I will say that there will come a day when others, like me, who have considered a Les Paul the best in set neck, solid body guitars, will have to acknowledge that the PRS S2 is its equal. Now, I estimate that inlet cavity covers would have added $20-30 to retail price and it is the one thing I would change and would have gladly paid for. Metric electricals are not necessarily bad, but I have a very special set of custom HB's and a CTS based harness already done that may go into it when it returns. My S2 is so good, it deserves those nearly "sacred" to me pickups- hand wound by an expert and special friend. I was saving them for one of my own builds but this S2 opened my mind.

My first PRS was the SE CU 24. Like you, the double cut was just what I had to have. And I still love it. But it got me thinking about something more along the lines of a core model (just because I love the carved top better than a flat top, and I know that has nothing to do with the tone) that I could afford even if I had to pay for it over time. Then I found my Paul's Guitar. It had the looks and the wood I wanted in it. And the price was oh, so close. I talked myself into it and pulled the trigger because I was deathly afraid it would disappear and I would kick myself forever for letting it get away from me. My situation changed and now it is paid for and I don't regret it for a skinny second. The big point is that it cost approximately double what you are considering with the S2, and roughly 4 times what I gave for the SE.

Thing to remember: the quality of your guitar will satisfy you long after the sting of the price leaves you. Or something like that, :top:

Last edited:
Since I have built a few, I look carefully at craftsmanship. The overall build quality of an S2-especially later serial numbers- is true craftsmanship. The scarf joint at the neck is essentially invisible as is the stacked heel. I do not frown at scarfs because they are stronger and some of the finest classical guitars still use them. Keep in mind that my S2 is on its way back to PRS for a complete neck refinish, yet I still feel strongly about the inherent quality in the guitar. S2's have a new finish, developed for protection and appearance while still being thin. There is a factory tour video of the S2 production and development- it is worth watching (sorry, I don't know how to link here). If I were a good player and still in earning years, I admit that I would like to have a core model-but I have already commented on why I declined an upgrade purchase of an exchange. With my S2, I don't have that feeling of desiring a "better" PRS. Any electrical changes I may have in mind are more a statement of how pleased I am with my guitar; those custom HB's I mentioned are very "personal" to me and would never end up in an ordinary guitar. PRS has pulled off what many in the industry believed could not be done- a top quality USA made guitar at a "workingman's price." There are no apologies to be made when it is pulled from its gig bag (mine will get a hardshell someday). I usually play .009 to .046 but with my S2, the standard 10's are silky- even with a 25" scale; there is something very complete about this guitar. The more of you that have them the more my words will be repeated. I do have a beautiful Schroeder Boat-Tail bridge designed to replace fixed bridges- it has adjustable saddles. I might try it out because it is so visually attractive- only for that reason because my guitar has perfect intonation as it is. I have a supply of the Tone-Pros bridge of similar design but it is not an aesthetic improvement so I am not considering using one of those. Whatever model you ultimately choose, I guarantee that you will no longer feel that a premium Fender or Les Paul is the "holy grail." Mr. Smith knew what he was doing when he set out on his own.

Wow thanks for the Youtube link. I will be watching it as soon as I got home ;)

Just found a local music store who haves an S2 Singlecut in stock!

Although it's not the exact model I'm thinking of, it should give me a good idea on the quality of these S2 series.

Can't wait to get off work :D

Damn...

I'm also on a quest for my first PRS. However, I am (was) set on the SE ZM. But I'm in Brazil, and the ZM was not available here.

So, I just got the news that the ZM is available. Now, the price.... R$4.400,00 (USD1.450). I was expecting a R$3.500 price (that is what the Tremonti Custom costs here).

Now I'm really thinkinf if I grab the ZM or if I should buy a SE245 (Gold MEtallic - R$3.000 / USD1.000).

Damn exchange rates....

A great (I think) opportunity just knocked on my door...

I saw advertised a PRS C22 10 Top for 2000 EUR. I offered 1600 EUR and after some talk we settled on 1650 EUR.

SOOOO... what to do? I didn't want to spend that much money on a guitar right now but, for this price, should I pass this opportunity? The guitar is a 2006 model (haves 3 pots).

A great (I think) opportunity just knocked on my door...

I saw advertised a PRS C22 10 Top for 2000 EUR. I offered 1600 EUR and after some talk we settled on 1650 EUR.

SOOOO... what to do? I didn't want to spend that much money on a guitar right now but, for this price, should I pass this opportunity? The guitar is a 2006 model (haves 3 pots).

Personally I wouldn't think twice. It is the real deal... And an instrument you'll have for years and years.

Back