Incoming Private Stock PRS McCarty 594 Hollowbody II

MrSuperstar

Blues Lawyer
I have never owned a PRS in my life, but I've always been fascinated by the PRS world: by the philosophy behind their meticulous work; by the fact that they produce "in house" all the stuff (from knobs to pickups, from amps to straps, etc.); by the perfect finish on their guitars.

I've often been critical about the prices of PRS Private Stocks, but recently I was able to try a PS from a dear friend and it left me completely blown away: I fell in love with it. The GAS started, brutally wiped out my desire of a Les Paul and increased dramatically until I placed the order and paid the advance to an official dealer of my Country.
I also found that PRS produces average about just two Private Stock guitars per day, an extremely low number that allows them to keep the quality very high.

The choice fell on a full hollowbody (also my first hollowbody guitar!) which will allow me to wander to the maximum in my musical repertoire. Maybe my "ultimate guitar"? I don't know, I hope so!

Unfortunately I'm not able to send you a picture of what the guitar will be like (because actually it's only in my mind and I haven't find on internet a single piece flamed maple 594 HB II in Black Gold finish), but for the moment I would like to share the required specifications with you:

On 22th April 2021 I signed the final sheet as it follows:
McCarty 594 Hollowbody II (NO piezo) in Black Gold Burst finish.

Major customizations:
• One piece AAAAA flamed maple (one for the top and one for the back);
• Headstock, truss rod cover and fretboard in “birds of a feather” pattern;

• Headstock, truss rod cover and fretboard made of quilt maple and ebony;
• Stainless steel frets;
• Some hardware element in 18kt gold;
• TUSQ nut;

• Natural flamed maple binding all over the body;
• Guitar-shaped leather hardcase (exactly like this) signed by Paul himself.

Minor customizations:
• Ebony tuner knobs (instead of metal knobs);
• Mother of pearl side dots on the neck (instead of painted ones);
• High Gloss nitro on body and neck / Satin nitro on headstock and fretboard.

Now the wait begins: approx 15 months! :(:(:(
As I said before, I have never owned a PRS in my life and this will be my first PRS ever! Can't wait for its arrival! :D

EDIT: 31 June 2021
I finally found the wood that drives me crazy!
I wanted a super aggressive back and a slightly more shy top, something like "the hard and the soft side of the guitar", the Private Stock department satisfied me: I chose #1 for the back and #2 for the top of the guitar.
IMG-1488.jpg

EDIT: 31 January 2022
Today my dealer sent me an email writing this:
PRS confirms today the following:
- We confirm that the guitar is ready and waiting to receive the TUSQ nut (which has yet to be applied);
- The instrument is about to be stored in the case;
- We confirm that the guitar will already be equipped with the premium case (guitar-shaped, not rectangular) like the one in the photo you sent us and that we report to you;
- We confirm that the guitar case was, as you requested, signed by Paul Reed Smith in person.

0314379-14-2000x.jpg

The times between US - UK shipping, UK - Italy shipping and customs clearance will be approx 45/50 days minimum.
We inform you in advance that it's not possible for us to find photos of the ready instrument.

I'm reeeeeally happy that in something like two or three months the guitar will be in my hands!
bump.gif

EDIT: 07 April 2022
The guitar is finally in my hands!
The link for the "New Guitar Day Thread" is here.

Last edited:
Congrats! They’ll get it right!

I wasn’t able to go to the vault for my build (back in Nov 2018), but did participate via conference call while reviewing pictures of the wood selections. They also tone tapped the woods for me - I was shocked at the differences even over the phone!

Today A LOT of news from the Private Stock department: they suggested to avoid the "black gold wrap burst" finish because it would cover the binding, they suggested the "black gold burst" finish which shows the flame maple binding; they suggested to put a gloss finish on the fretboard instead of a satin finish and also suggested to paint the neck in black finish to match the black burst, instead of leaving it natural.
I just preferred to follow all their suggestions.

Finally, on 22th April 2021 I signed the final sheet as it follows:
McCarty 594 Hollowbody II (NO piezo) in Black Gold Burst finish.

Major customizations:
• One piece extremely figured quilt maple (one for the top and one for the back).
• Headstock, truss rod cover and fretboard in “birds of a feather” pattern (as in the photo below),
• Natural flamed maple binding
• Stainless steel frets
• TUSQ nut

• Guitar-Shaped black leather Private Stock hardcase

Minor customizations:
• Ebony tuner knobs (instead of metal knobs)
• Mother of pearl side dots on the neck (instead of painted ones)
• High Gloss nitro on body / Satin nitro on headstock and fretboard
• Neck finish matched with the body finish (instead of natural finish)
• Pickup selector and pickup frames: black plastics (instead of white plastics)

Last edited:
Today A LOT of news from the Private Stock department: they suggested to avoid the "black gold wrap burst" finish because it would cover the binding, they suggested the "black gold burst" finish which shows the flame maple binding; they suggested to put a gloss finish on the fretboard instead of a satin finish and also suggested to paint the neck in black finish to match the black burst, instead of leaving it natural.
I just preferred to follow all their suggestions.

Another little gem is this inlay on the heel joint:
Schermata-2021-03-30-alle-14-28-23.png

Finally, the "final order" has started and is as follows:
McCarty 594 Hollowbody II (NO piezo) in Black Gold Burst finish

Major customizations:
• One piece extremely figured AAAAA flamed maple (one for the top and one for the back of the body).
• Headstock, truss rod cover and fretboard in “birds of a feather” pattern, made of flamed maple and ebony
• Flamed maple binding
• Stainless steel frets

Minor customizations:
• Gloss finish on the fretboard
• Pickup selector and pickup frames: black plastics instead of white plastics.
• Heel joint with the 3th fret bird as inlay in flamed maple

Great build!

NEWS NEWS NEWS.

I finally found the wood that drives me crazy!
I wanted a super aggressive top and a slightly more shy back, as if to hide a soft side of the soul of the guitar, the Private Stock satisfied me. I chose # 1 for the back and # 2 for the top.

IMG-1488.jpg

What do you think of this choice?

Last edited:
Back