My first PRS just landed.

suhweet.jpg

First off, congrats! It's a beauty for sure. But I'm curious as to how it's a different ballgame to your Gibson LP's. In what way, sonically, or feeling wise, or what? I would expect it to be somewhat different, but more similar than not. Would love to hear how they differ more.

Well.. I have an R7 and a R8, and from a tonal aspect id say clarity and more string seperation is what sets the PRS apart from the Gibsons.
Theres more top or treble if you like, wich ofcourse makes it sound clearer. The tone has more of a modern feel to it while the Gibsons is a bit "muddier" and has more of a vintage tone.
As for the feel of the the guitar they absolutly nailed it.. Perfection in every aspect. And it also feels like a more modern guitar to play.
i also love thats its lightweight but still carry a massive tone and tons of sustain.
I know that the two are often compared and thats not strange at all.. But they really are worlds apart. Atleast in my opinion.
The PRS i feel is a better quality built instrument, nothing is overlooked.. Its pure perfection.
Now i am a diehard Les Paul guy and i love my Gibsons but this is in my oppinion a completly diffrent animal.
Cant say that either one is better then the other.. Id say if youre looking for a vintage Les Paul tone and feel,, then nothing beats the real thing, even if its a reissue. But if youre looking for a "Les Paul" with a more modern tone and feel then this might just be as good as it gets.
Atleast thats my point of view.

Well.. I have an R7 and a R8, and from a tonal aspect id say clarity and more string seperation is what sets the PRS apart from the Gibsons.
Theres more top or treble if you like, wich ofcourse makes it sound clearer. The tone has more of a modern feel to it while the Gibsons is a bit "muddier" and has more of a vintage tone.
As for the feel of the the guitar they absolutly nailed it.. Perfection in every aspect. And it also feels like a more modern guitar to play.
i also love thats its lightweight but still carry a massive tone and tons of sustain.
I know that the two are often compared and thats not strange at all.. But they really are worlds apart. Atleast in my opinion.
The PRS i feel is a better quality built instrument, nothing is overlooked.. Its pure perfection.
Now i am a diehard Les Paul guy and i love my Gibsons but this is in my oppinion a completly diffrent animal.
Cant say that either one is better then the other.. Id say if youre looking for a vintage Les Paul tone and feel,, then nothing beats the real thing, even if its a reissue. But if youre looking for a "Les Paul" with a more modern tone and feel then this might just be as good as it gets.
Atleast thats my point of view.

Thanks, and well defined. I hear what you're saying. I do think a lot of it must be the pickups, but perhaps some of it has to do with different wood species being used. But likely most of it must be the electronics I would think, what else could it be really? Cool though, to be able to have both, and hear differences between the two.

Thanks, and well defined. I hear what you're saying. I do think a lot of it must be the pickups, but perhaps some of it has to do with different wood species being used. But likely most of it must be the electronics I would think, what else could it be really? Cool though, to be able to have both, and hear differences between the two.
Well theres some technical differences between the two, the scale length, the brass blocks in the bridge and the brass in the machineheads, the electronics and ofcourse the pickups.. All of wich colours the sound. And yes, its a nice addition to the collection and im happy that i pretty much own the best of both worlds when it comes to singlecuts:)

Last edited:
Beauty of Single cut....couldn't pick a better first PRS. I also like the comparison to your Gibson's. Your description is kind of how I compare my Singlecuts (OG style.....25" scale, wrap bridge) to my Les Paul. The PRS's are more 'hi-fi'.....clearer, tighter and more modern; even more modern than the SC-58's and 245's.

Man, I love fire burst red! I cannot stop looking at that face!

Maybe because I have an out for delivery tracking number right now that has the same color!!! :) C'mon day!

Beautiful guitar!

Thx all for the feedback, Yea i love the fire red.. its in my mind a perfect colour for a PRS singlecut. Its not a "traditional "tobacco,bourbon, cherry burst that makes i look like "in my mind" a Gibson knockoff.
Its a colour thats not to vulgar either but still stands out from the les pauls...
Anyways i LOVE my new PRS, its a keeper for sure.

OK, I just got a P24, and now I'm jonesing for a Core Model SC. Maybe a P245.

I gotta stay away from this forum!

Back