My first PRS. I think I'm in love.

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Tweaked, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Tweaked

Tweaked New Member

So I have always thought PRS looked very nice and never thought I could afford one because all the ones I looked at were the Core models. I knew about the SE variants, but since I already had an Epiphone Les Paul, I figured it would be a lateral move and not an upgrade. Boy was I wrong. I just got the new Limited Edition CU-24 with Roasted Maple neck in Tobacco Burst, and the difference in quality, tone, playability, and fit and finish is astonishing. Ever since I got it, I can't stop daydreaming about getting a 10 top or even Private Stock.

I'll post pictures as soon as I can. I don't see any way to upload them directly to the forum, so I'll have to figure out something else to host them and put links when I'm allowed.

2. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Open-Ears / Zippered Lips

3. ElrytNamrogo

ElrytNamrogo My name be scrambled

Congrats and welcome!

Yeah, I just use Imgur to host my photos and then post them from there. It's super easy to set up and it's free.

Can't wait to see some pics of your new guitar....those roasted maple SE's are incredible instruments!

4. Tweaked

Tweaked New Member

Thanks guys. I feel very privileged to own one of these being there were only 2000 produced for the US market.

5. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

That awesome. Congrats on your first, and welcome to the forum!

6. Tweaked

Tweaked New Member

Do you guys have a recommendation on a good affordable amp to pair with this guitar? Right now I've got a Blackstar HT5 1x12 combo, and it's pretty good. Was thinking of the Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb.

Andrew Paul, g.wizz and LSchefman like this.
  7. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

Excellent move.
    It’s never too early to start imagining what your Private Stock might be.

8. Tim S

Tim S King of the barre chord

Budget and tone you are chasing? Those have a lot to do with determining viable amp choices.

9. bodia

What’s your budget, and what kind of music do you play most often? Also, are you looking strictly for new, or are you open to used? One more; does it have to be a tube amp?

Alnus Rubra, g.wizz and LSchefman like this.
  10. bodia

Jinx!

Alnus Rubra, LSchefman and Tim S like this.
  11. AaeCee

AaeCee New Member

Congrats and welcome to the fraternity. My advice is to be careful with the crowd here. They'll gently encourage you to step up and buy another PRS or two, and soon enough you'll be hopelessly hooked. I'm up to five core models including a PS or two, and still have the monkey on my back. I got it reeal baaaaddd man! :eek:

12. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

why not try a PRS Sonzera? Excellent amp, esp. for the dough.

13. Tweaked

Tweaked New Member

Budget not currently set, but is somewhat restricted to about $1500 is my initial feeling. I mostly play worship, but also want to get into playing blues/rock. Think Gov't Mule, or Rhett Shull in both "Noah Guthrie and Good Trouble" as well as the Jessie Wilson band. It doesn't have to be tube, but if not, it must sound like and behave like a tube. Think Fender ToneMaster Deluxe reverb (one I'm strongly considering).

14. Tweaked

Tweaked New Member

Ok, now that I have met my required post count, let me try posting some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wakester, danktat, tyfu20 and 16 others like this.
  15. Tweaked

Tweaked New Member

I'll check it out. I did try out a 50w PRS amp and liked it alot, but can't remember the exact model.

16. goat-n-gitter

goat-n-gitter Dismembered

That's a gorgeous guitar! It's incredible how much value comes in the SE range now!
    With a $1500 budget, you can get some awesome amps, particularly if you consider used. PRS Archon, Mesa MK V or other Mesas, Deluxe reverb reissue, the list goes on and on.
    Welcome to the addiction!

17. ElrytNamrogo

ElrytNamrogo My name be scrambled

Wow...what a GORGEOUS guitar! Congrats, again!

In terms of amps, you can get a great amp for that kind of money. Like Les had mentioned, I think the Sonzera would be excellent to look at. Definitely up your alley in terms of musical taste and style. Plus, if you're into pedals, it's a great platform for that, too.

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  18. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

Congratulations and welcome to the PRS family & forum

I know a lot of people have this impression, that all guitars made in Indonesia, Korea or China are all of similar quality and standard. However, you also have to take into consideration that the guitars are built to a price point - not necessarily to the 'best' they could be built (best for the money) and that they made under licence too. PRS at least check the instruments before they are sent to retailer but if they were not 'happy' with the quality for the money, they would not want their name on the head stock. Regardless of whether the guitars are made by PRS or by Cort/WMI, its their name and their reputation.

Whilst it is 'common' to think that imported guitars are somehow lacking and at least on a par with other companies that use Cort or WMI for their builds, the quality can vary. SE's are regarded very highly in their price range and regarded as amongst the best you can buy under $1k/£1k/€1k. The range of options is growing to with the Paul's and Hollowbody guitars introduced recently and Mark Holcomb does use SE's for live touring - which in itself shows that they are good enough for professionals.

Anyway, congrats on your new purchase. Which one's next??? :D

19. Tweaked

Tweaked New Member

Thank you. I agree. I would also love to have all the other colors. They are all stunning. Too bad some of the colors were only available in Europe. I liked them all.

20. Tweaked

Tweaked New Member

This has indeed been a valuable learning experience.