My first PRS - 594 Artist

HellBat

Hi All.

I recently purchased my first PRS guitar, a brand new 2019 River Blue 594 Artist. I'm still in the honeymoon phase but so far I love it. It's my best sustaining, intonated, and most comfortable playing guitar.

First off I apologize for the crap pictures, I haven't had a change to snap it with my SLR in good light yet. I'll update the thread with better pics when I have a chance.

PRS_back.jpg

prs_top.jpg

For fun, here is a vid of the flame dancing in the flashlight...

WOAH! Way to make an entrance dude! She's a beauty! Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of PRS! Enjoy that bad boy!!

Last edited:
That’s a sweet guitar, and as good of an “first” PRS as you could find! Nice job, and welcome to the forum!

A bit more back story. I had decided I wanted a PRS to fill the LP tone zone in my life, because ergonomically LP's just don't fit me. I was just looking at the models on the PRS website and the 594 obviously fit the bill of what I was looking for. (Mahogany/Maple body, carved top, 2 humbuckers, 2 piece stoptail bridge)

So I did a Reverb search just to get a look at what was available for 594 as far as specs and finishes. A few popped up in my search, including the new S2 models. I decided I wanted to go core just to get the fully carved top. This one really drew my eye, so it was the first one I clicked on. I decided at that point that the 594 was the right model for me. I had no idea what 10 top or artist or anything like that meant at the time, I just liked how this one looked. I realized it had some unusual specs from the regular core 594, but my intent was to order from a local dealer so I didn't think this guitar would actually be mine. I was just going to order one in a regular color.

It wasn't until then that I looked at the Reverb posting to see where it was. At that point I was shocked to realize it was actually my local dealer's Reverb page! From there it seemed kind of like fate so I called and asked if I could come down to check it out, having never even held a PRS guitar before. I knew in the first 3 notes it was a great guitar and made it happen.

The problem is now I'm lusting after a 24-08 and/or a Hollowbody II Piezo. I guess you guys can identify with that.

Congratulations and welcome .... You gotta love River Blue and the 594!!

The problem is now I'm lusting after a 24-08 and/or a Hollowbody II Piezo. I guess you guys can identify with that.

You're in deep, my friend.

You also just described my group. I have a 24-08 (Artist with rosewood neck), a HBII (Artist wth maple neck) and a 594 10 Top. I also have a Vela that gets as much play time as the others. This grouping covers a LOT of territory and I honestly find it hard to justify another guitar instrument, but it doesn't stop me from looking!

The 594 is very versatile. The coil taps are VERY useful and really do produce viable single coil tones. This is a little sound sample I out together. All of the guitar sounds are the 594: https://soundcloud.com/radiomoved/594-demo

My HBII has 57/08s in it and those pickups are just perfect for warm tones going into slight breakup. They do fine with higher gain rock sounds as well.

This sound sample has the HBII doing all the rhythm work (just edge of breakup and some cleans) with the 24-08 playing all the leads: https://soundcloud.com/radiomoved/when-its-right-its-right

A bit more back story.
I had no idea what 10 top or artist or anything like that meant at the time, I just liked how this one looked.

What a gorgeous guitar! As was stated above, by @ScottR , "Way to make an entrance dude!"

Your story is very similar to my first PRS. I had no idea about different models or grades or things like "10Top". I just knew I wanted a PRS and after the very patient salesman handing me 10 or a dozen or I came to the Paul's and it was all over.

And, yep, you are at @Herr Squid 's "slippery slope"! Since my Paul's there is now a Santana and HollowBody in my stable. And your post is rekindling the lust for a 594, probably my next! I don't know if I should curse you or thank you!;)

Enjoy your new PRS a long time.

Back