My first Paul Reed Smith

Edm

Guitars are my souls outlet
After being a serious guitar player since 1964 and started playing in 1958 I have played all the standard brands. Gibson Fender ectera and have always been devoted to those USA made instruments.

After all these years I finally decided to try a Paul Reed Smith. I had purchased a Paul Reed Smith Sonzera 50 amp and figured that I might at least try a PRS guitar.

Rather than spend thousands of dollars on a USA PRS I tried an Indonesian built SE 24 Custom tobacco sunburst 2018 model. Being an import guitar I was a little apprehensive but since I had not too long ago bought an Indonesian made Ibanez AS93FM 335 style guitar that was quite impressive and became my number one work guitar. Apparently some of the instruments coming out of Indonesia are very well made.

Although I am a thousand percent positive that the USA made PRS instruments are superior to this one I'd like to say that this Indonesian built one would easily make any working musician a great piece to gig with, without risking a much higher investment USA PRS built instrument.

The fit and finish was excellent, the 85/15 s pickups are very nice. There is a great balance of tone and string separation, articulation and dynamics with these pickups. The neck is very comfortable to play. It would be pretty hard to come up with another guitar at that price point that could possibly be better in my humble opinion.

So much so that it is very possible it will become my new number one work instrument. I truly think that highly of it and it has changed my mind about the quality and consistency of the build and materials and craftsmanship that are coming from some Pacific Rim factories.

Being a Gibson / Fender snob all these years I humbly concede that they are slowly catching up with USA built instruments. What I find truly impressive is that Paul Reed Smith demands close to the same consistency and excellence in the materials, build quality and the quality control of his imported SE line across the board as well.

So now my sights are set on a PRS CU22 Gen 3. Just for home use I would never take it out as a working instrument. Too much risk for it to get damaged or stolen which happens way too often. This is what makes my SE 24 Custom such a great investment for the money spent.

So in conclusion well done Mr. Smith. If your imported guitars are this nice I'm quite positive USA made models will be extremely impressive.

Congrats Edm! I recently sold my Korean-made Reverends and bought a pair of SE Custom 24s (one of which is my profile photo). I've never owned an Indonesian-made guitar before, but these SEs are remarkable. I can't get over the playability, the quality fretwork, and the 85/15s pickups. The pickups have a clarity and definition that really stands out. And the neck is utterly buzz free.

These really are professional level instruments.

And so it starts... It's a slippery slope my friend. The SE "gateway drug."

Exactly one year ago I bought an SE CU22. Loved it, and immediately had my eye on a Core model. Within a few months, had bought a new McCarty. I'd convinced myself I'd never need a U.S.-made PRS. Apparently, want is a more powerful motivator than need. :D And they both get the same amount of play time.

Enjoy your new guitars!

Her Squid, Shimmilou, elvis, Screamingdaisy, 68reissue and Glide- bpm

Thank you all for the positive feedback on my first post here. I will post some pictures very soon. I'm sure I will learn a lot from all the very experienced and knowledgeable players here and maybe once in a great while I'll be able to add a little from my own experience.

Like I had said I have been a guitar snob admittedly for way too long. My SE 24 Custom I wish there were words that could truly describe how amazing this guitar is for the money spent. I have guitars that cost close to ten times as much and yet the fretwork on those guitars is as good and sometimes not as good as the fretwork that was done on my 24 SE.

So those Indonesian workers and their quality control at the Cor-Tek factory is amazing based on my previous knowledge of import guitars.

I did read an article where Cor-Tek is the Factory that makes Cort guitars and they also make many OEM guitars. They produce a million guitars a year. With plants in Indonesia and China and Korea.

Also the quality control and the finished products from World Instruments in Korea appear to be exactly as good as the ones made at Cor-Tek

I'm sure Paul Reed Smith checked out this Factory pretty closely and puts a strong demand on quality control because his name is going to be on the headstock. So after what I had heard from other players about PRS guitars even though I had never played one I rolled the dice and I came up a winner. So much so like I said it made me put almost all my other guitars back to taking long closet naps. And that's saying a lot for me.

The 8515 s pickups PRS sounds so good through my Marshall stack I just can't compliment how clean and balance the sound they produce. The pots the pickup switch are firm and solid and feel very dependable. I did make some upgrades not that it was necessary so much but I decided to put Gotoh 381 locking tuners on it which were a direct drop in and I blocked the tremolo because I really don't use it in my style of playing. I added Guilford Rosewood pickup rings because just I thought it was a nice touch compared to the cream plastic ones. I also added a chrome switch tip, amber top hat knobs and a special truss rod cover A J to honor my dearly departed Mom ( Audrey Jane).
I name all my guitars. It makes them more personal that way.

So once again I thank you all for the warm and kind of responses

Last edited:
Ok here you go

e9oQzp1
sYaystD.jpg

The day I received it

6dTyCxU.jpg

now with the upgrades

N47u0Ac.png

The next one on my radar the Core CU22 Gen lll

Last edited:
Ok that is the best I can do with the pictures I have taken so far.

I ordered it with a hard case and they included the gig bag in the same box.

I also added a chrome switch tip, amber top hat knobs and covered the hole that the vibrato arm goes in.

I also had a special truss rod cover made because I name all my guitars. This one was so beautiful that I named it A J after my dear departed Mom ( Audrey Jane).
She always encouraged me to keep playing.

Yes GAS is a very addicting disease. Especially PRS GAS. LOL as I have now discovered.

Dirty_Boogie YOU are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO correct !

That's how I ended up with 14 guitars and 4 amps.

and that is my now condensed collection. At one time I had 27 guitars and 8 amplifiers.

I downsized after I retired from full time playing

Congrats Edm! I recently sold my Korean-made Reverends and bought a pair of SE Custom 24s (one of which is my profile photo). I've never owned an Indonesian-made guitar before, but these SEs are remarkable. I can't get over the playability, the quality fretwork, and the 85/15s pickups. The pickups have a clarity and definition that really stands out. And the neck is utterly buzz free.

These really are professional level instruments.

68reissue...... I can not agree more. I stand humbly corrected from my 'snobish' stance of many years.

Not that I don't still enjoy my Gibsons and Fenders because I do BUT this PRS SE 24 Custom and my Ibanez AS93FM ( ES355 copy) (Below) have become my go to instruments. My 93FM is also a beautiful Indonesian made guitar. The Super 58 pickups are the cleanest sounding ones I have ever heard.
It also has Gotoh 381 gears on it and a bone nut made by Mike Forrester of Forrester Kustom guitars in Maryland.

cJQysQ7.jpg

6dTyCxU.jpg

Last edited:
Uh-oh maybe my first posted pictures didn't disappear but for some reason on my laptop they did. My bad I didn't mean to post twice

Maybe one of the moderators can delete the repeated picture post? I would appreciate it because I don't want to look repetitive

Last edited:
Back