My first nut job!

Dizzyg12

Popped my nut filing cherry today. I put on skinny too heavy bottoms on my santana se. Had to file the nut. It's actually the stock nut from 2001 and I have spares so I figured I'd give it a shot and if I fudged it up I can try again. I used the stew mac gauged files and they worked perfectly.

Then I put .10s on my se 245. It had to be filed as well to widen the slots. They were grabbing the high strings pretty hard and the low e didn't even fit in the slot. Stew mac tools worked like a chard here as well.

2 nuts in one day. My wife would love that! But Im tired!

Last edited:
A nut job is always a good thing!

Those Stewmac files are the shizzle...proper tools yield the best results! Congrats!

Yup I figured might as well do it right and teach myself a new skill. Took my time and filed gently. With little effort it yielded great results.

Hey, guys. Does anyone of you have any alternatives to nut files? I come from a place where even guitar spare parts are hard to find, so to speak.... Any viable alternatives that you guys have tried and works? Thanks in advance! :beer:

Hey, guys. Does anyone of you have any alternatives to nut files? I come from a place where even guitar spare parts are hard to find, so to speak.... Any viable alternatives that you guys have tried and works? Thanks in advance! :beer:

google will tell you that people use everything from sand paper to finger nail files to welding tip cleaners to wound strings, and the list goes on. Do you get mail where you are? My order was sent from stew mac via USPS. The files weren't t cheap but I can't express
enough how easy it was and how good they turned out. And knowing that I'm more likely to add to my collection not subtract so they are worth every penny

google will tell you that people use everything from sand paper to finger nail files to welding tip cleaners to wound strings, and the list goes on. Do you get mail where you are? My order was sent from stew mac via USPS. The files weren't t cheap but I can't express
enough how easy it was and how good they turned out. And knowing that I'm more likely to add to my collection not subtract so they are worth every penny

Yeah, I do get mailing services. That's the thing, I've seen people saying sandpaper/wound string works while some say no, And I don't want to take the risk damaging my nut, I just got a new one fitted because the old tech didn't file it out too well and now that he's retired, and I'm not able contact him regarding that. Might have to poke around to see if there are any cheap deals on nut files, my country's currency are quite weak compared to US$. And that import tax kills.... :dontknow:

Yeah, I do get mailing services. That's the thing, I've seen people saying sandpaper/wound string works while some say no, And I don't want to take the risk damaging my nut, I just got a new one fitted because the old tech didn't file it out too well and now that he's retired, and I'm not able contact him regarding that. Might have to poke around to see if there are any cheap deals on nut files, my country's currency are quite weak compared to US$. And that import tax kills.... :dontknow:

an economy worse than the US?!........... imagine that

Back