My first issue with a Reverb sale

My USPS person will press my RING. If catch it I'll talk to her and she will sign the slip for me. Wish UPS would do the same. Good luck Ahazz that's one of the weirder situations I've heard of with Reverb.

My USPS person will press my RING. If catch it I'll talk to her and she will sign the slip for me. Wish UPS would do the same. Good luck Ahazz that's one of the weirder situations I've heard of with Reverb.
But how do they first get inside to press your RING? Is it some form of advanced matter displacement technology?

Bogus. Reverb has no risk here. If you refund minus your cash outlay -- btw, completely devaluing your time -- then the buyer would just have to accept it. Let that customer fight with Reverb about it -- to which Reverb would and should say "too bad, so sad". Reverb buyer protection cannot extend to buyer not accepting the package (which is what this is).

Did Reverb ever explain the rationale of their decision?

Their rationale is that I have the guitar in my possession, despite the fact that I didn't want it back and sold it no returns. I offered to reship on my dime, to hold it, to resell and then refund...they have my card on file, so could force the refund and NOT give me the $60 credit, so I decided it was easier to get the $60 and just resell.

Their rationale is that I have the guitar in my possession, despite the fact that I didn't want it back and sold it no returns. I offered to reship on my dime, to hold it, to resell and then refund...they have my card on file, so could force the refund and NOT give me the $60 credit, so I decided it was easier to get the $60 and just resell.

And you also have the buyer‘s money. It’s not your fault the buyer doesn’t have the guitar. I understand your position and decision, but I don’t understand Reverb‘s. Sorry you were treated unfairly.

Sometimes you gotta take a hit as a seller, it's part of selling. Reverb offering to pay/reimburse 1-way shipping is about as good as it gets as a seller. It would help if Reverb would allow sellers to choose not to sell to new buyers, at least not sell high $$ items to buyers w/ less that 5 positive reviews. Taking a hit on a pedal is one thing, but with shipping rates so high loosing out on shipping and return shipping a guitar is a lot of money to loose.

Paying the shipping both ways is hard to understand. You paid for the service, and they failed to deliver. Why the **** you get charged for them failing on their job. It must be a USA thing.

I had a lot of great reverb transactions a few years back. Right now, it's 50/50. I got humped as a buyer and as a seller. And don't get me started on owning a reverb shop as a self-employed. Reverb does not recognise Sole Traders as biz owners. I ended up opening a new reverb shop AND a new personal bank account solely for reverb purposes. The long and pointless discussion I had with Reverb Customer Support (now based somewhere in Neederlands, they sacked the UK dude since Etsy took over) still gives me chills. And I'm a bloke with mountains of patience.

Last edited:
Reverb, Etsy, eBay, etc. must have determined it's better for them to attract new buyers to their platform than to be fair to sellers because where else can the sellers go once Reverb/Etsy/eBay have become the dominant platform? Reverb/Etsy/eBay are building their customer base by having unfortunate sellers bear the cost of bad buyers. Based on personal experience with Reverb and bad buyers the $60 was probably compensation for return shipping.

Last edited:
Well, the way I see it is, that Reverb should be taken out behind the shed and, well, I will let y'all finish that thought. How the Fruck can a seller, who ships the guitar, be responsible for a buyer being ignorant of knowing how to receive a "signed for shipment" is beyond comprehension in my limited mind. It gets crazier every day!

Best of luck Mr. Aahzz, I fully understand the decision you made, but "FFFFFFFF you see kay" this whole story pisses me off!

Ebay would do the same thing. They too have your credit card on file. Ebay or Reverb, in a situation like this it would end the same way. Ebay is no better than Reverb.

Your experience identifies the reason I had placed a discretionary restocking fee in my Reverb policy a long time ago.

And I have had to use it once to cover the costs incurred for a returned guitar.

If you have that in your policy Reverb cannot force anything different.

So i’d suggest changing your policy so in the future you can recoup your costs for all shipping and your trouble.

The other thing I do is never offer free shipping. If negotiating i reduce the item price not the shipping. To cover yourself always keep the shipping price at or above the actual cost.

These actions would have left you in a good position to give partial refund and re-list without losing…

Last edited:
Hate to hear it. I've only had one bad interaction where the person received a pedal from me and said it was faulty. He did send me video of it and sure enough I thought something must have happened during shipping. Reverb helped make it right, it got back to me and nothing was wrong with the pedal so I kept it.

The last few times I had scammers trying to buy stuff off me, which soured my outlook for Reverb. I'm probably selling local from here on out/keep gear I get. It just started to become too big of a hassle.

I blame reverb as much as people using reverb :D

My personal fave was a guy who came over to test the Fryette PS2 I was selling. He tried it for two hours, sent an offer via reverb which I accepted, took it home and filed a claim a week later, stating the unit was noisy and making high pitch noise. When I got it back, I noticed via the vents that something was off. Not sure why he started changing the power tubes. It should have two 6L6, had one 6L6, and one EL34.

I got ballistic on his ass, claim rejected but it cost me shipping, time, and tech expertise

Back