My first issue with a Reverb sale

I blame reverb as much as people using reverb :D

My personal fave was a guy who came over to test the Fryette PS2 I was selling. He tried it for two hours, sent an offer via reverb which I accepted, took it home and filed a claim a week later, stating the unit was noisy and making high pitch noise. When I got it back, I noticed via the vents that something was off. Not sure why he started changing the power tubes. It should have two 6L6, had one 6L6, and one EL34.

I got ballistic on his ass, claim rejected but it cost me shipping, time, and tech expertise
another good reason for restocking fee policy.

For good balance, I came across many legitimate, awsome people. I bought several pedals from a guy who used to play in a 80's British band with no 1 UK single. The early Boss DM-2 was used for chorus triplets in that song. I still have that DM-2. This guy wasn't dragging; he just told me this as interesting trivia. I paid the usual DM-2 money for this pedal, and another three 80s Boss stompboxes I got from him were on the wedge of stealing. This guy was a legend

Last edited:
At least Reverb sent me a satisfaction survey today, so I let them know exactly how satisfied I am as a long time seller left to hang for a first time non-responsive buyer.

I did relist on Reverb since it gets me in front of more people and I need the cash back, dangit.

Last edited:
For good balance, I came across many legitimate, awsome people. I bought several pedals from a guy who used to play in a 80's British band with no 1 UK single. The early Boss DM-2 was used for chorus triplets in that song. I still have that DM-2. This guy wasn't dragging; he just told me this as interesting trivia. I paid the usual DM-2 money for this pedal, and another three 80s Boss stompboxes I got from him were on the wedge of stealing. This guy was a legend
midge ure? if so me too.

Your experience identifies the reason I had placed a discretionary restocking fee in my Reverb policy a long time ago.

And I have had to use it once to cover the costs incurred for a returned guitar.

If you have that in your policy Reverb cannot force anything different.

So i’d suggest changing your policy so in the future you can recoup your costs for all shipping and your trouble.

The other thing I do is never offer free shipping. If negotiating i reduce the item price not the shipping. To cover yourself always keep the shipping price at or above the actual cost.

These actions would have left you in a good position to give partial refund and re-list without losing…
Wise, wise my friend. I'm going to adopt this for my Reverb account which I sell from.

Sold again today, on Craigslist. Got $120 less than I was forced to refund, but enough to cover the stuff for which I needed the cash in the first place. Also, as a local sale it's cash, won't get me a 1099, and a refund can't be forced.

I’m selling a number of guitars this week. The amount of fake offers is astounding. Zero feedback guys asking to email or text them when sending full price offers. Yeah sure.
I will be out of town this weekend but am possibly going to take a couple of my guitars that I want to sell to my local shop. I talked to him a few months ago about selling them through his shop on consignment. He said he would be interested in outright buying them as well. He said that he knows I only buy good stuff so it will all be stuff he can move. I have two of them cleaned up and ready to go. I am leery but need to test the waters. I would rather take a bit less and just sell them to him and not have to deal with things like you are seeing now.

Yep. My thoughts exactly. If I don’t get any satisfying offers within a few days I’ll take a check from Brian’s guitars. Sure it will be for less but I won’t have to worry about taxes, shipment, or getting scammed. He’s resold plenty of mine. And I know he will make a nice profit and stay in business to continue offering us killer guitars

Yep. My thoughts exactly. If I don’t get any satisfying offers within a few days I’ll take a check from Brian’s guitars. Sure it will be for less but I won’t have to worry about taxes, shipment, or getting scammed. He’s resold plenty of mine. And I know he will make a nice profit and stay in business to continue offering us killer guitars
I like Brian's. I bought a guitar from him several years ago.

Back