My first issue with a Reverb sale

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
After 40 sales on Reverb, I've finally had an issue. It's not Reverb's fault, so I am not bashing them. Sold my Semi-Hollow Vela, as I had mentioned in the Electric forum. It sold quickly, they paid. I sent a couple messages about when it would ship, they never responded, but there weren't any questions so I didn't think much. Went ahead and left positive feedback, because they paid. Shipped the guitar, signature required, because I don't ship anything over $500 without a signature. First day, they weren't there to sign. I sent them a message telling them they could get a free UPS MyChoice account and sign online, or they can make arrangements to pick it up at a drop-off point. Long story short, they never signed, and they have never replied to any of my messages. UPS returned the guitar to me on Tuesday, and charged my card again for the return shipping. I reached out to Reverb, they told me my options were to refund or reship - as I sold the guitar "as described", I don't accept returns, so I told them that, and that I'm more than willing to reship if the buyer covers both the return shipping to me and the cost of reshipping. I also told them that the buyer had been non-responsive. I did notice during the messaging that this is the buyer's first Reverb transaction - yippee.

So, they said they would contact the buyer and get back to me, so now I'm waiting to see what happens...

So sorry man.

Probably nothing's going to happen and you're going to have to eat the shipping both ways and have whatever they paid for the guitar deducted from your credit card Reverb has on file.

Seems like both Reverb and eBay side with buyers in these kinds of disputes.

They're more concerned with making it comfortable and "safe" for buyers than for sellers.

But good luck!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear Aahzz.
You just never know sometimes. I dont think reverb has any settings to disallow selling to a 1st time purchaser just for this reason. Even if it were so, I dont know if I would have made it a point to check on a buyers number of transactions before allowing a sale, but I always do when buying to check the number of sellers transactions and feedback and if they have none, its a hard pass for me.

So they paid and didnt receive the guitar. I wonder how that gets sorted?
Hope it all works out.

That is a hassle. I don't know what the shipping was as a percentage of the overall sale, but I wonder if the fact that it sold right away means that you could have gotten more for it. Maybe a resale at a higher price would cover the additional shipping costs?

That is a hassle. I don't know what the shipping was as a percentage of the overall sale, but I wonder if the fact that it sold right away means that you could have gotten more for it. Maybe a resale at a higher price would cover the additional shipping costs?

I tend to price on the high side of fair, because I accept offers as well - so I'm not thinking it was priced too low. I'll probably have to eat the additional shipping, but it wasn't enough to upset me *too* much.

Sorry to hear Aahzz.
You just never know sometimes. I dont think reverb has any settings to disallow selling to a 1st time purchaser just for this reason. Even if it were so, I dont know if I would have made it a point to check on a buyers number of transactions before allowing a sale, but I always do when buying to check the number of sellers transactions and feedback and if they have none, its a hard pass for me.

So they paid and didnt receive the guitar. I wonder how that gets sorted?
Hope it all works out.

Since he hit the purchase button and paid immediately, there was no way to know he was a first time buyer. For first time buyers, Reverb does wait until payment has cleared to give the go ahead to ship, so it *should* be safe. I never counted on someone just not signing. I've considered reshipping without signature required, so that once it shows delivered it's not my problem any more...but will only do that if Reverb support gives me the OK.

I hereby rule in your favor Aahzz.

I'm confident that Reverb will accept my considered judgment in the matter, and not only side with you on this, but call upon the Great Gods of Messed Up Transactions to avenge the great wrong that was done you!

Or...you know...not. ;)

I've had 129 transactions, I've noticed quite a few scammers on Reverb over the last year. Both buyers and sellers. Some brick stores selling items and then not shipping, or sending the wrong item. I've become very careful about who I do business with! I do want to say Reverb customer service has come through for me on 2 big ticket items. First was guitar that was not shipped after I paid, and secondly an amp that arrived damaged and the seller wouldn't make it right!

How Reverb could take ANY action other than making the buyer pay all shipping costs is beyond me! I have never done a transaction on Reverb as a buyer or seller and I hope I never have to!! Best of luck for a positive resolution on this issue Mr. Aahzz!!! If you want to ship it to me (being that buyer already paid for it and is not ready to receive) I will cover all shipping costs!!!!

I have to admit, I did search for their name in obituaries, just in case.
That was my thought, since they weren't available to receive the guitar. Car accident, serious illness or them or a loved one. From what I've read so far I wouldn't count out something like that.

Sorry to hear of the snafu.

One time a Reverb buyer complained I sent it sign to receive. He claimed he was never home and had to make special arrangements to have it signed for. It ended up working out.

If this doesn't work out it may be best to confirm Sig delivery with the buyer before ship, to avoid some of this. Its a fine line. My thought is if Reverb messaging has the buyer confirm no sign then the onus is on them.

Sorry man, good you're not too upset, and you have 2 Vela again!!!

Back