My first Brazillian 'board guitar (NGD)

markd21

I took everyone's advice I grabbed a DGT. I had ordered a new one, then I saw this DGT Artist Package. The price was a TOTAL steal, so I jumped on it. It's hard to photograph so I am gonna have to do a "proper" photo session with the light rig. It'll be worth it, lol. In the meantime, I know it's pics or it's a Hello Kitty (which BTW, I had an HK I would gig when we would be lumped on death metal bills....PRICELESS!!!! But that's a story for another time....)

Here's the rundown from the MODCAT:

Model: David Grissom
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 22
Top Spec: Quilted Maple
Top Grade: Artist
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Neck Carve: Grissom
Fingerboard Wood: Brazilian Rosewood (Domestic)
Inlay: Artist Package Birds
Bridge: Tremolo or 2-Piece Bridge
Color: Custom Color
Hardware: Hybrid (Nickel and Gold)
Treble Pickup: Grissom
Middle Pickup: none
Bass Pickup: Grissom
Electronics: Grissom

I'll contact PRS with the S/N to find out the "Custom Color". It looks like a cross between a Forest Green and a Cobalt Blue.....

I am getting ready to set it up to my specs. The trem has 5 springs and I like a little relief in the neck. Gotta pop some 9s on there to help the arthritic fingers. Photo shoot after that!!

So have you played it yet? Didja hear that signature Brazilian chime in the tone? They all have it, ya know. :)

So have you played it yet? Didja hear that signature Brazilian chime in the tone? They all have it, ya know. :)

Actually, I just got done playing it. Yeah, I heard something different - can't quite put my ears on it though. However, I cased it back up and stuck it in the closet. It seems "stiff" compared to the Wood Library Custom 22 I just got also. The IRW neck has something that speaks to me more than the Brazi 'board....

I know I am gonna dig the DGT, it'll just be one that grows on me like the Brent Mason had to. Some of you might remember how I was NOT digging the BM when I first got it. Now it is a hand's down favorite. I'll spend some more time with the DGT over the next couple weeks and things will be good. I just can't play it side-by-side with the Wood Library, lol.

So, regarding the color, Shawn at PRS looked at some close up shots of the top and said he thinks it's Slate Blue with a black back instead of natural. I Googled some Slate Blue PRS' and my DGT looks right on par with the examples I was seeing.

I bet that plays great. DGT PuPs are special.

It does. The thing I was "afraid" of - neck profile - is a non-issue. I still prefer the Wide/Fat, and I can feel the difference on the DGT, but it is pleasant. The pickups are different. They are cool, but I am still digging the 58/15LT pickups more.

Actually, I just got done playing it. Yeah, I heard something different - can't quite put my ears on it though. However, I cased it back up and stuck it in the closet. It seems "stiff" compared to the Wood Library Custom 22 I just got also.

I actually just got a DGT as well and would concur with the “stiff” feel. I like it but it’s just.... different. They come with 11s so I backed those down to 10s and gave it a full setup. It also has all five springs in the trem cavity which gives it a different feel. I just need to get used to it. It’s a hoot to play though once I’ve gotten warmed up to it.

Enjoy!

Wow, great pickup!

My PS Build came with 5 springs on the trem when I’m used to 4. Also feels stiffer (despite the 24.5” scale length) than my ME with 4 springs. I’ve been way too lazy to take that fifth spring off :)

I actually just got a DGT as well and would concur with the “stiff” feel. I like it but it’s just.... different. They come with 11s so I backed those down to 10s and gave it a full setup. It also has all five springs in the trem cavity which gives it a different feel. I just need to get used to it. It’s a hoot to play though once I’ve gotten warmed up to it.

Enjoy!

Thanks! Yes - "just... different" is the perfect way to explain it. I pulled the 11s and the 5th spring. I did a TOTALLY new set-up with 9s and 4 springs. I put a little bow in the neck (which I really like). I am expecting to love it once I warm up to it, as well.

Wow, great pickup!

My PS Build came with 5 springs on the trem when I’m used to 4. Also feels stiffer (despite the 24.5” scale length) than my ME with 4 springs. I’ve been way too lazy to take that fifth spring off :)

Right on. It's funny how just a spring can change everything we are used to with a guitar!!! I will say removing the 5th spring was a MASSIVE pain in the butt. It was like fighting a tarpon!!!

Back