My favorite PRS model

My favorite

ynK4riA.jpg

I don't think it's a question of which is best; there is no best. But at some point you find a guitar (whether it's a PRS or not) that expresses YOUR idea of tone.
Sooooo Well said !
I feel guilty about selling perfectly wonderful guitars, but there's wonderful, and there's OMG.
I couldn’t agree with this more. Once you establish your tone and what you’re looking for, the difference between wonderful and OMG, you will know. Some guitars are just magical in our individual hands. I’m always searching for magical guitars, the ones where it all comes together and I don’t want to put down, guitars that enhance the tone I’m looking for and inspires me to take my playing in different directions without thinking. I tend to gravitate towards “Swiss Army knife” type guitars but sometimes I just prefer the simple three-way toggle switch models like a Westy and a Santana model. I tend to cycle through many because life is too short and I want to maximize my musical and guitar experiences but, there are some guitars I just won’t let go. OK done with my rant.

Sooooo Well said !

I couldn’t agree with this more. Once you establish your tone and what you’re looking for, the difference between wonderful and OMG, you will know. Some guitars are just magical in our individual hands. I’m always searching for magical guitars, the ones where it all comes together and I don’t want to put down, guitars that enhance the tone I’m looking for and inspires me to take my playing in different directions without thinking. I tend to gravitate towards “Swiss Army knife” type guitars but sometimes I just prefer the simple three-way toggle switch models like a Westy and a Santana model. I tend to cycle through many because life is too short and I want to maximize my musical and guitar experiences but, there are some guitars I just won’t let go. OK done with my rant.
It wasn't a rant - those are great points.

I just played my 2007 McCarty for while after work yesterday. Ran it with an MXR Timmy, a Treble Booster and a rotary speaker emulator. Sounded magic.

I took my 2007 McCarty to a jam on Friday... This is the McCarty I "reacquired" last summer, but I've been playing with these guys steady for 46 years so they recognized the guitar from when I originally had it back when. Anyway, ran it through my Valvetech VAC 25 2x10 with the small board (J Rocket Archer, Lovepedal Kalamazoo, Wah, delay & phase) and just reveled in it. We played two 2-hour sets and it felt like 20 minutes! I loved every minute of it; sounded spectacular!

I took my 2007 McCarty to a jam on Friday... This is the McCarty I "reacquired" last summer, but I've been playing with these guys steady for 46 years so they recognized the guitar from when I originally had it back when. Anyway, ran it through my Valvetech VAC 25 2x10 with the small board (J Rocket Archer, Lovepedal Kalamazoo, Wah, delay & phase) and just reveled in it. We played two 2-hour sets and it felt like 20 minutes! I loved every minute of it; sounded spectacular!
I remember reading an review in Guitar Player Magazine shortly before I bought mine comparing the McCarty to a Les Paul. Both reviewers were very positive about it but one favored the Les Paul because that was what she was used to. The other one offered a more objective opinion and favored the McCarty because the sound specifically met his requirements for soloing. That is to say it had its own voice, and that voice was compelling for his own playing style and needs.

I like my SAS well enough, but I think of it as a good secondary guitar rather than a primary.
I think my judgement was a little clouded when I wrote this thread. I had just finished a great session with the SAS after not having played it in a while. After I wrote this I played my Silver Sky and my 07 McCarty. Both of these guitars are so resonant and sustain so beautifully, even unplugged. All three of them are great in their own ways, but the McCarty is really special.

This girl right here. 2007 CU22. ALL of the PRS guitars I have owned have been early to mid 2000s CU22s. Even a Brazilian Rosewood Limited Edition (which was the one that got away). One that had Dragon 1s in it. BOTH wide fat and wide thin necks. But this girl has been my companion on more gigs, rehearsals, studio time, frustrating practice sessions, etc......... She is the one that I have bonded with the most up until this point.

dottie_10_13_2021_by_klbryanphotography_desq85x-fullview.jpg

ezgif_1_bc8859ab81_by_klbryanphotography_dfkmu17-fullview.jpg

This girl right here. 2007 CU22. ALL of the PRS guitars I have owned have been early to mid 2000s CU22s. Even a Brazilian Rosewood Limited Edition (which was the one that got away). One that had Dragon 1s in it. BOTH wide fat and wide thin necks. But this girl has been my companion on more gigs, rehearsals, studio time, frustrating practice sessions, etc......... She is the one that I have bonded with the most up until this point.

dottie_10_13_2021_by_klbryanphotography_desq85x-fullview.jpg

ezgif_1_bc8859ab81_by_klbryanphotography_dfkmu17-fullview.jpg

Gotta love Dottie.

Out of curiosity could you share a little more..
Sure.

My primary voice is best characterized as dirty blues, more blues than dirt. For that dual humbuckers work really well for me so my base line is a McCarty with a stop tail. Santana for extra frets and a trem.

I got the SAS to be able to add the hotrail to the mix and a bit of a nod to a more strat like voice. It causes me to play differently so I have more range in my overall sound. I’m too young to get stuck in a rut.

Similarly, I like my HB piezo because the airier tone encourages a jazzier feel to what I play.

Back