My favorite PRS model

Longneck Tenon

So I have owned a half dozen PRS models in the 15 years or so. The first was a 2007 core McCarty. The last is a Silver Sky SE. But the one I come back to and always puts a smile on my face is a 2008 Swamp Ash Special. Any of the PRS doubters out there who say they have no character (Rhett Shull I’m talking to you) clearly have not played a SAS. The SAS neck and bridge pickups are my favorite humbuckers except for the Burstbuckers. The Duncan Hot Rail in the middle I am not wild about, so I can understand why they went to the narrow field pickups in the later model, but this guitar is all about the neck or the bridge positions. Warm, articulate and huge sounding at full volume. They take every pedal I own make them sound amazing. Pick harmonics are really special on this guitar. The neck shape is perfect, and it makes a very compelling argument for maple necks. The swamp ash body is light and beautiful. I personally don’t think PRS should make a Telecaster based model because they have already made one better than it in the SAS. I don’t mean to go overboard in this post, but I am curious if anyone feels the same way. And thanks PRS for making this gem of a guitar.

My Paul’s guitar is my favorite. Pushes buttons on sight, sound, touch and scent. Artwork that makes music. Hard not to pick up while forcing myself to play the others in a rotation. Each of those is worthy of being a favorite also: Custom 24, McCarty 594, Silver Sky in rosewood board and a second in maple board.

I've always wanted to try a Swamp Ash Special, but I've not seen one in person. They seem quite cool. And I've never had an ash-bodied guitar.

Anyway, my favorite is the only PRS I've had, the Mira. (Mine's the original version; I haven't tried an S2 nor SE to compare).

I've always wanted to try a Swamp Ash Special, but I've not seen one in person. They seem quite cool. And I've never had an ash-bodied guitar.

Anyway, my favorite is the only PRS I've had, the Mira. (Mine's the original version; I haven't tried an S2 nor SE to compare).
I had the original Mira as well. Traded it in on an amp, but it was a very nice guitar.

I highly recommend them. Swap in 57/08’s (preferably Squabbin ones if you can find them) and they are incredibly versatile.

Cue SinSir to remind me of how dumb I was to let my old one go lol!

5mLQbdQ.jpg

I highly recommend them. Swap in 57/08’s (preferably Squabbin ones if you can find them) and they are incredibly versatile.

Cue SinSir to remind me of how dumb I was to let my old one go lol!

5mLQbdQ.jpg
Whoa. The only ones I've seen in photos were sunburst/natural. That's stunning. Has an effect of vibrations over water.

Back