MY Experience.

Tim, track me down for a couple beers next year. Thanks again!

Great Pics THANKS FOR POSTING! :D

Tables set up where you can try your hand at staining some scrap wood(not those bodies pictured) - very cool.
7996683384_870bf57dba_b.jpg

So how do they keep the stain off the binding!? I've always wondered that.... Painter's tape?

Oh and second dibs behind Jedi on that body on the right! WOW :D

PRS needs to have "Concierge" to help find such guitars....

Before you Poo Poo the idea TAYLOR has one.... Oh ya, I said it... I used the "T" word... Dropped a "T" bomb! :D LOL!!

sorry, It's been a long day and I'm asleep on my feet. ;)

Great Pics THANKS FOR POSTING! :D

So how do they keep the stain off the binding!? I've always wondered that.... Painter's tape?
Funny you ask, that's what I assumed. But as I walked by someone staining an eriza verde top, there was no tape. I was on my way to somewhere else so I didn't get a chance to ask and I never made it back:( Just more proof I needed more time to spend at each step of the process!
Wish I had an answer but I don't know!

Here was my attempt at a "frostbite" style stain. I didn't get the transition going into the more natural part as smooth as I would've liked, but it was my 1st shot...and I was pretty clueless as to how it was done:biggrin:
8001883538_6753629f4c_b.jpg

Was going for something like:
7985351333_e65d6e957c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Here was my attempt at a "frostbite" style stain. I didn't get the transition going into the more natural part as smooth as I would've liked, but it was my 1st shot...and I was pretty clueless as to how it was done:biggrin:
8001883538_6753629f4c_b.jpg

]

It takes a few tries to get it perfect, I went through that learning process last year. It is mostly about wiping the stain off after you put it on but once you get it then you can do it every time.

While I imagine that my dad and I are the only people who find the wood-staining part the highlight of Experience, it was awesome to be able to pull some cut up bodies out of the bins this year and stain them instead of just the cutouts that they usually have.

We found 4 complete bodies and one 5/6th of a body. We didn't realize that there were whole guitars until after people had taken some of the horns out of the bins so there were many more to be had at the beginning of the day.

1rc8l.jpg

1pqpA.jpg

Md5aO.jpg

Did a take on Electric tiger on the single cut and an orange fade on the double cut. They look even better now that they are home and clear coated.

After refinishing some cheap other brand plywood guitars since last year's Experience it was a dream to stain the whole body with PRS wood.

Great pics...brings it right back.

It takes a few tries to get it perfect, I went through that learning process last year. It is mostly about wiping the stain off after you put it on but once you get it then you can do it every time.

While I imagine that my dad and I are the only people who find the wood-staining part the highlight of Experience, it was awesome to be able to pull some cut up bodies out of the bins this year and stain them instead of just the cutouts that they usually have.

We found 4 complete bodies and one 5/6th of a body. We didn't realize that there were whole guitars until after people had taken some of the horns out of the bins so there were many more to be had at the beginning of the day.

1rc8l.jpg

1pqpA.jpg

Md5aO.jpg

Did a take on Electric tiger on the single cut and an orange fade on the double cut. They look even better now that they are home and clear coated.

After refinishing some cheap other brand plywood guitars since last year's Experience it was a dream to stain the whole body with PRS wood.

Ahhh!!! I was searching for any chunk of an actual body! I got there way too late though - hopefully next year!

About four guitars a day get cut up because of some flaw or imperfection.

The singlecut had a broken drill bit in one of the pickup ring mounting holes and the other one had a big gouge that was naturally in the wood that must have been exposed when they carved the top. None of the other ones had markings on them so who knows?

PRS Flickr page - they had pretty much all of the for sale guitars pictured there. It was at The Guitar Shop Canada table. Could contact Brent, not sure if it sold, it was still there Sunday. Was some variation of frostbite.

I would have to agree with you on that one Hans. I did a double take on that one everytime I walked by. Of course there was the olive P22 with 408's too.

Alan, I believe we were in the lobby at the same time- you were at Hilton Gardens, no? I'm a rather quiet guy til I get to know people...then it's hard to keep me from yapping non-stop, especially about guitars! Lol

I was - but I didn't remember it being you getting up when Ron moved over by Jack. And I know what you mean - my wife teased me because I'm kind of quiet until I get comfortable with people (she calls it anti-social!), so she was almost beside herself watching me at Experience. It all started when we pulled into the hotel and I ran into Markie, Steve, Brian and crew before I even got to the door! The kicker might have been during Thursday's event - we got seats, and she went to get dinner. When she got back, I went to get something. When I came back, the third and final seat in our row was occupied and she was chatting to the guy in the seat. I heard her say something about "husband - and here he is now." The guy turned and said, "Oh, I didn't know you were with Alan!" The look on her face was priceless. I almost was expecting her to say "who ARE you?" at some point.

I was - but I didn't remember it being you getting up when Ron moved over by Jack. And I know what you mean - my wife teased me because I'm kind of quiet until I get comfortable with people (she calls it anti-social!), so she was almost beside herself watching me at Experience. It all started when we pulled into the hotel and I ran into Markie, Steve, Brian and crew before I even got to the door! The kicker might have been during Thursday's event - we got seats, and she went to get dinner. When she got back, I went to get something. When I came back, the third and final seat in our row was occupied and she was chatting to the guy in the seat. I heard her say something about "husband - and here he is now." The guy turned and said, "Oh, I didn't know you were with Alan!" The look on her face was priceless. I almost was expecting her to say "who ARE you?" at some point.

Yeah, I went to have a smoke or something and let the old man(just kidding Ron! Lol) have my seat when I came back. I just sat on the floor by Jaimie's guitar, hoping he'd let me keep it if I sat there long enough. Hahahahaha!

Maybe we weren't there at the same time - I was sitting on the floor next to Jamie (almost at the feet of the mod!). But I admit - I lost track of where the guitar was after it went through several pairs of hands. I don't remember if it went back to the case or not.

Maybe we weren't there at the same time - I was sitting on the floor next to Jamie (almost at the feet of the mod!). But I admit - I lost track of where the guitar was after it went through several pairs of hands. I don't remember if it went back to the case or not.
Ha! I was sitting right in front of you, you were leaning against that wall/pillar or whatever was there.

Funny you ask, that's what I assumed. But as I walked by someone staining an eriza verde top, there was no tape. I was on my way to somewhere else so I didn't get a chance to ask and I never made it back:( Just more proof I needed more time to spend at each step of the process!
Wish I had an answer but I don't know!
I might have to go next year so I can find out!
No other reason... Nothing else to see.... LOL!!!!!! :D

That frost guitar is amazing! I'm a sucker for a flame maple neck. What model is that?
I've been checking dealers to see who ended up with that one! ;)

Last edited:
Back