My Dream PRS is on sale, Just one problem...

mranonymous

Hello

I have been eyeing a 35th Anniversary PRS for awhile now. My conditions are: Aquamarine, 10-Top, Brand new (or at least mint), natural back, pattern thin neck

However, I really didn't want to spend $4500, which seems to be the price they all are. So yesterday, one went on sale for $3800, which is much more my speed.

The guitar met almost all of these conditions. However, this one has a black back. I LOVE the look of the natural back.

I have less than 24 hours to make a decision before the offer is revoked. Do you personally think that it's worth settling for a black back for $700 off, if you really wanted a natural one?

Thanks for any insight.

Hello

I have been eyeing a 35th Anniversary PRS for awhile now. My conditions are: Aquamarine, 10-Top, Brand new (or at least mint), natural back, pattern thin neck

However, I really didn't want to spend $4500, which seems to be the price they all are. So yesterday, one went on sale for $3800, which is much more my speed.

The guitar met almost all of these conditions. However, this one has a black back. I LOVE the look of the natural back.

I have less than 24 hours to make a decision before the offer is revoked. Do you personally think that it's worth settling for a black back for $700 off, if you really wanted a natural one?

Thanks for any insight.

I'd probably go with the black back, even though I also prefer a natural back. $700 buys a couple nice pedals, a tube combo, a MiM Tele....so many options.

I'd probably go with the black back, even though I also prefer a natural back. $700 buys a couple nice pedals, a tube combo, a MiM Tele....so many options.

Thanks for your input. I'm also leaning toward yes, but obsessively going back and forth in my mind, ha.

If saving the dough is more important, then you'll have a sweet guitar at a good price.

If the natural back is more important, then either you'll spend more than you want to, or you won't have one of these guitars at all, and you won't have to think about whether all of your criteria are met.

You're the only one who can decide. What makes most sense to you?

If saving the dough is more important, then you'll have a sweet guitar at a good price.

If the natural back is more important, then either you'll spend more than you want to, or you won't have one of these guitars at all, and you won't have to think about whether all of your criteria are met.

You're the only one who can decide. What makes most sense to you?

It seems like saving the money would be worth it, and more imporant. However, I have bought things in the past that I was unhappy with because they weren't the exact one I wanted. I have never had a PRS with the black back, so I am a little uncertain of how I will feel about it

No one can tell you… only you know how much it matters to you. We can, of course tell you what we would do, or what we think you should do, but in the end it’s not our money or preference.

You’ll be able to tell us how much your conditions matter shortly…. :)

No one can tell you… only you know how much it matters to you. We can, of course tell you what we would do, or what we think you should do, but in the end it’s not our money or preference.

You’ll be able to tell us how much your conditions matter shortly…. :)

Yeah, that is true. I guess I was just looking for a common consensus opionion. If a lot of people who have seen the black backs seemed to say they are ugly, or not as pretty as natural, this may be enough to sway me against it.

Or similarly, maybe most people say that they've realized the back does not matter as much as long as the top is great, this may be enough to pull the trigger.

It is just difficult as I am not able to see the guitar in person before the offer is gone :( Maybe that is a sign though

It seems like saving the money would be worth it, and more imporant. However, I have bought things in the past that I was unhappy with because they weren't the exact one I wanted. I have never had a PRS with the black back, so I am a little uncertain of how I will feel about it

There's nothing wrong with wanting your priorities fulfilled, regardless of what they are.

I'll share my own perspective:

I'm kind of a "have to have the best sounding example" tone person. So for me, the finish is lower on the priority list than tone, wood species, etc. I have more than one guitar (including a PS) whose color I would never have chosen myself, but I dug the features and tone and bought them anyway. The PS I previously mentioned is my most beautiful sounding guitar. I never think negatively about the color when I play it, and I've learned to appreciate the finish.

That doesn't mean you won't think about the finish every time you pick the guitar up. Everyone's priorities are different.

Yeah, that is true. I guess I was just looking for a common consensus opionion. If a lot of people who have seen the black backs seemed to say they are ugly, or not as pretty as natural, this may be enough to sway me against it.

Or similarly, maybe most people say that they've realized the back does not matter as much as long as the top is great, this may be enough to pull the trigger.

It is just difficult as I am not able to see the guitar in person before the offer is gone :( Maybe that is a sign though

The black back looks great, even if I think the natural is a bit prettier. That said, most of the time you just don't see the back, which is why I've gone against my own preference for natural a couple times, for reasons of price, tone, or playability - or a combination thereof.

My postscript to this is that only a few weeks ago I bought a Special Semi Hollow with an Artist Package in blue with a black back (the AP choice was to get the ebony fretboard; I like an ebony board with a semi-hollow guitar).

I prefer amber shades and am not all that into blue guitars. I probably wouldn’t have chosen this finish if I'd have ordered it. But it’s got all the other stuff I want.

I'm sure that on any given day, I'd find a lot of people who wouldn't buy this, or any of my guitars, and a lot who would think they're just Jim-dandy. So what.

IaTodNX.jpg

Last edited:

I like a natural back too but the back color of a guitar is so far down my check list. It wouldn't influence my decision to No. It may help push me to Yes but not No. Especially if cash is an issue and one of the reasons I didn't like the back color is what others have said. If I didn't have natural black is my second choice. It's not like it's a wild color or something.

There's nothing wrong with wanting your priorities fulfilled, regardless of what they are.

I'll share my own perspective:

I'm kind of a "have to have the best sounding example" tone person. So for me, the finish is lower on the priority list than tone, wood species, etc. I have more than one guitar (including a PS) whose color I would never have chosen myself, but I dug the features and tone and bought them anyway. The PS I previously mentioned is my most beautiful sounding guitar. I never think negatively about the color when I play it, and I've learned to appreciate the finish.

That doesn't mean you won't think about the finish every time you pick the guitar up. Everyone's priorities are different.

Thanks for sharing! I definitely relate to this. It's funny, because I would say my personal top priority is feel above all. And I am not overly picky with looks when it comes to all other guitar brands

However, with PRS, looks usually end up coming top priority. And this is because they build their guitars so consistently, that I am not too worried I will get one that feels bad or sounds bad (though I'm sure it does still happen)

Combine that with the higher price of a PRS, and this is why I am having such a hard time making a decision on this one

Combine that with the higher price of a PRS, and this is why I am having such a hard time making a decision on this one

Try the reverse, then.

If all ten top PRS Guitars came with black backs, but they offered a clear finish on the back for an extra $700, would you spring for that option?

It boils down to the same choice.

Some people wouldn't think twice about it and do it, others wouldn't. If the answer is hell no, I wouldn't, then your choice is clear. If the answer is, I'd do it, then that's your answer.

The black back looks great, even if I think the natural is a bit prettier. That said, most of the time you just don't see the back, which is why I've gone against my own preference for natural a couple times, for reasons of price, tone, or playability - or a combination thereof.

For sure.That's what the little angel on my shoulder (or maybe the devil?!) has been telling me - that there is a really good chance that I wouldn't even think about the back once I have the guitar here. I just wish I could see the damn thing in person :/

You’ll find yourself in a much better place when you forget those folks.

Yeah I hear ya, but at the same time I do value the input of the people here. Because I am unable to see the guitar in person before the offer expires, if an overwhelming amount of people happened to say they feel the natural looks far more stunning than black, I would value this.

My decision is close to a toss up, so little nudge in either dirction could help

Welllll...technically...natural back IS your dream, black is NOT.

Ha, yes good point. Well played

My postscript to this is that only a few weeks ago I bought a Special Semi Hollow with an Artist Package in blue with a black back (the AP choice was to get the ebony fretboard; I like an ebony board with a semi-hollow guitar).

I prefer amber shades and am not all that into blue guitars. I probably wouldn’t have chosen this finish if I'd have ordered it. But it’s got all the other stuff I want.

I'm sure that on any given day, I'd find a lot of people who wouldn't buy this, or any of my guitars, and a lot who would think they're just Jim-dandy. So what.

IaTodNX.jpg

Incredible finish! Blue is my favorite, so I have a strong bias toward that. And I usually am not a fan of the smokeburst edges, but this one wears it so well. I think something about a semi-hollow works better for smokeburst (IMO), or maybe it is the violet tones in the edges.

I like a natural back too but the back color of a guitar is so far down my check list. It wouldn't influence my decision to No. It may help push me to Yes but not No. Especially if cash is an issue and one of the reasons I didn't like the back color is what others have said. If I didn't have natural black is my second choice. It's not like it's a wild color or something.

Thanks for the perspective. Yeah, black is really not terrible, and better than a lot of other things on the back

Here’s another one with solid body and a blue smoke burst. I wouldn’t have ordered this color, but it was only offered in two colors, and this seemed the best option for me. This one has the most gorgeous of African ribbon mahogany backs - that I never, ever even look at! :eek:

This is the one that I’d say is the prettiest sounding guitar I own, even though it took some weeks for the blue color to grow on me. It’s become a huge part of my arsenal of tones.

DR3O7Yg.jpg

Here’s another one with solid body and a blue smoke burst. I wouldn’t have ordered this color, but it was only offered in two colors, and this seemed the best option for me. This one has the most gorgeous of African ribbon mahogany backs - that I never, ever even look at! :eek:

This is the one that I’d say is the prettiest sounding guitar I own, even though it took some weeks for the blue color to grow on me. It’s become a huge part of my arsenal of tones.

DR3O7Yg.jpg
That is a gorgeous guitar my friend.

DR3O7Yg.jpg
The top is just so nice. I am a sucker for those perfect "lines" in the wood, and always try to seek that out.

Back