My dream guitar is for sale. Do I buy it?

Do I buy it?

• yes

Votes: 40 62.5%
  • no

Votes: 24 37.5%

• Total voters
I'd buy it....enjoy it...swap in mini humbuckers....enjoy it more....a year before gap year I'd but the P90s back in....put it up for sale IF/And ONLY IF it's not 100% to your expectations...reclaim as much money as you can. You'll experience that type of PRS build with probably minimal losses. Later on...find or build your true dream guitar.

I'd buy it....enjoy it...swap in mini humbuckers....enjoy it more....a year before gap year I'd but the P90s back in....put it up for sale IF/And ONLY IF it's not 100% to your expectations...reclaim as much money as you can. You'll experience that type of PRS build with probably minimal losses. Later on...find or build your true dream guitar.

You make VERY good points. Hmmm. Buying it is BACK ON THE TABLE!

I voted "no" because while the top and neck are off the charts,it's not a "dream guitar" if you don't want those type or configuration of pickups. So, not a dream guitar, just another one that knocks your eyes out.

However, all the "I'd buy it and put in mini-humbuckers" remarks need to be clarified. If by "mini-humbuckers" you mean NF pickups, then it would definitely be a Dream Guitar! If you mean something else, then shame on you. :D

I voted "no" because while the top and neck are off the charts,it's not a "dream guitar" if you don't want those type or configuration of pickups. So, not a dream guitar, just another one that knocks your eyes out.

However, all the "I'd buy it and put in mini-humbuckers" remarks need to be clarified. If by "mini-humbuckers" you mean NF pickups, then it would definitely be a Dream Guitar! If you mean something else, then shame on you. :D
Second. Im not the most fond of P90s, and just the general look of soapbars.

Second. Im not the most fond of P90s, and just the general look of soapbars.
I would like to have one with P90s just for something different, but after experiencing the NF's, I'd have a hard time spending the money for a new PRS with soapies, when I still don't have a 594 or one of their new single coil guitars.

The pairing of ziricote neck and a (blue) quilted maple top is how I would describe my dream guitar. P-90s are not what I had in mind, but if I don't like them I can put mini humbuckers in. If I don't like those, then worst case I just route the neck and bridge cavities to humbucker size and make it HSH with a single coil hiding under a P-90 cover
:eek:
If you are trying to decide whether to save your cash for some youthful extravagances during your gap year and/or life contingencies, and the other option is to buy a guitar that looks great but you are already considering swapping pups and or physically modifying the body, then I would say please skip on buying this - you will find a better-suited guitar later on, eventually, and this one can go to someone who actually appreciates P90s.

EDIT: Oh, I see in a later post you decided to move on, due to the neck profile.

Good, that seems like the right decision.

My dream guitar is for sale right now for a very good price.

n2lirbwncjipgpdthn5z.jpg

I love that top. I like quilted maple way more than flame, and this is definitely on the quilted side of things. Regardless of how you classify it, it's one of the sickest looking tops I've ever seen. The color is perfect for me too! Blue bursting to black, with a hint of purple.

z9mg3ylipgmj3xmnimwd.jpg

But what makes this guitar special is the ziricote neck. Ziricote is my favorite wood and I want a guitar with a ziricote neck so badly.

The pairing of ziricote neck and a (blue) quilted maple top is how I would describe my dream guitar. P-90s are not what I had in mind, but if I don't like them I can put mini humbuckers in. If I don't like those, then worst case I just route the neck and bridge cavities to humbucker size and make it HSH with a single coil hiding under a P-90 cover ;).

Oh yeah and it's a wood library for sale for $3700. Imo that's a great price. I doubt I'll see a ziricote neck on a PRS for that price anytime soon. And did I mention how sick that top looks?

The problem is I don't think buying this right now would be financially responsible for me. I'm a grad student (pretty low income) and I want to save to take a gap year between grad school and the rest of life. When used car prices calm down I am going to buy my first car too. $3700 is a pretty significant portion of my yearly income. That's, like, 6 months of rent for me right now. That could be a helicopter ski trip during my gap year. I need to go heli skiing while I'm still young.

Can I afford this guitar and a car and maintain my lifestyle with a decent buffer of money sitting in the bank in case of emergency? Yes. I will never be in a position that I have to sell of gear to pay a bill. But that buffer money is also my savings for the gap year. I have no idea how much money I'll need for the gap year. I intend on dirt bagging for a few months (sleeping in my car and rock climbing), which will be a pretty cheap few months. But I would also love to go abroad for part of it, which can get expensive. $3700 buys a lot of vacation.

After buying this guitar, how much will I spend on guitar equipment over the next few years? Uhhhh GAS is cruel. Maybe if I buy this guitar it'll satisfy my GAS for several years. Besides, after this guitar my rig will be complete.

I have a very nice amp (PRS Archon) and a very nice pedal board. Between them I have all the tones I can dream of available to me. I'm playing a $250 Yamaha Pacifica (with hardware upgrades) through a $2500 rig right now. The Pacifica sounds and plays great, but I play it so much and so hard that the frets are getting really worn down. I am ready for a guitar upgrade. But this guitar might be too much of an upgrade :(

I need some forum therapy. Help out a gear addict at his lowest. What should I do?

The answer is always YES Lol

I took a different guitar home today. No more need to worry about me reshaping the neck and routing the body for humbuckers on the blue one above.

This one isn't blue and isn't quilted and has a mahogany neck instead of ziricote, but it is a 10 top, has humbuckers, a pattern thin neck, was a lot cheaper, and plays and sounds amazing. I'm super happy with this guitar.

bwQeM3t.jpg

I took a different guitar home today. No more need to worry about me reshaping the neck and routing the body for humbuckers on the blue one above.

This one isn't blue and isn't quilted and has a mahogany neck instead of ziricote, but it is a 10 top, has humbuckers, a pattern thin neck, was a lot cheaper, and plays and sounds amazing. I'm super happy with this guitar.

bwQeM3t.jpg
That is a killer axe! Congrats!! I predict you will be very happy with this!!!

bwQeM3t.jpg
I know how this process works and you’ll be browsing ziricote neck guitars by the end of the month.:p:cool:

I know how this process works and you’ll be browsing ziricote neck guitars by the end of the month.:p:cool:

Close! I'm going to be looking for ziricote lumber and I'm going to make a guitar with a ziricote neck next summer. That will be the most economical way to scratch the ziricote itch. Ziricote lumber is hard to find though.

Close! I'm going to be looking for ziricote lumber and I'm going to make a guitar with a ziricote neck next summer. That will be the most economical way to scratch the ziricote itch. Ziricote lumber is hard to find though.

You are not wrong! I have one guitar (non PRS) with a Ziricote fretboard.

Finding a billet large enough (that appeals to you) for a neck is no mean feat. Good luck.

Back