My dream guitar is for sale. Do I buy it?

Do I buy it?

• yes

Votes: 40 62.5%
  • no

Votes: 24 37.5%

• Total voters
Didn't realize 'pattern' was the modern name for wide fat. That's definitely not going to be my jam. I know it's not that fat, but I like necks on the smaller side.

I think that settles it. I can feel the gas slipping away. This guitar will be 'the one that got away' for me for a long time. Aesthetically 11/10, but neck profiles matter a lot.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Didn't realize 'pattern' was the modern name for wide fat. That's definitely not going to be my jam. I know it's not that fat, but I like necks on the smaller side.

I think that settles it. I can feel the gas slipping away. This guitar will be 'the one that got away' for me for a long time. Aesthetically 11/10, but neck profiles matter a lot.

The good news - ON WITH THE HUNT!:D

Neck carve is critical. No sense in burning cash on a supermodel that’s got no play.

Yeah, definitely at least try one with the same neck profile at a local shop if you’re not familiar with the neck.

And, for those of us who work for a living, what the heck is a gap year? Are they trying to give trendy cool names now to not having a job? Sounds about right for this younger generation! :rolleyes::D:D

It's where you take a year to have fun instead of working yourself into your coffin :cool:

To quote some movie my parents like: "Yer young. You've got yer health. What you want with a job?"

And, for those of us who work for a living, what the heck is a gap year? Are they trying to give trendy cool names now to not having a job? Sounds about right for this younger generation! :rolleyes::D:D

It's where you take a year to have fun instead of working yourself into your coffin :cool:

To quote some movie my parents like: "Yer young. You've got yer health. What you want with a job?"

Don’t worry about @DreamTheaterRules , just get him taking about topics he’s interested in like the Archon amp, NF3’s, kayaking or Speedo shorts and you’ll be fine;)

Don’t worry about @DreamTheaterRules , just get him taking about topics he’s interested in like the Archon amp, NF3’s, kayaking or Speedo shorts and you’ll be fine;)

Archon is a dream come true every time I turn it on. Have I mentioned the faceplate I made for it yet? I made a matching one for the speaker cabinet too.
fzEGci9.jpg

I also made a custom footswitch for the archon. Each channel has its own loop of channel-specific pedals and changing channels switches which loop is active. The lead channel side has a Wampler Tumnus. The volume gain on it is too high for me to want it on in front of the clean channel - dangerous volumes! But in front of the lead channel it sounds so good. The clean channel side doesn't have anything yet, but I think I will put a Kingsley Page TS there when I get it.

In the background of the photo on the bench you can see the attenuator I made for the Archon. It gives much better volume control at really low volumes. I can also crank the archon to get power tube breakup if I want to, but for the sake of the amp I have not done this very much.

Now I just need a worthy guitar to play through it all :(. Maybe a CE24 is the right one for me. My only qualm with the CE is the inlay material. It looks so dull. Super petty, I know, but I hold PRS to really high aesthetic standards because they can deliver.

That is fantastic work you’ve done.

Maybe consider an older CE24, they are held in high esteem by the forum guys

The old CE24s mostly have dot inlays and rotary switches. If I can find one with birds and a decent top I can maybe get over the rotary, but dot inlays on a PRS are a no-no for me.

If you like that stuff then check this out.

gvRhAZw.jpg

DUtnSCo.jpg

The 7 string was to learn how to make a guitar. I'm going to build a HSS strat style guitar next summer. The goal for it and whatever PRS I buy to become my main player instruments and I won't feel the need to buy another guitar for many years.

Neat...Like the "Fisher" cut out at the bottom, a few companies have done that...
Also, like the idea of the cover for the pickup routes...
assuming you can put damn near any PU combination in there???

Neat...Like the "Fisher" cut out at the bottom, a few companies have done that...
Also, like the idea of the cover for the pickup routes...
assuming you can put damn near any PU combination in there???

I like the cut because I can lean the guitar anywhere I want without a stand and it's very stable. Plus it reduces weight. The body is thick maple and walnut and despite the cut it still weighs in at 9.5 pounds. My next build will be much thinner.

The pick guard design is my favorite part of the guitar. Unfortunately, my design for the neck was flawed; I cannot put the neck pickup any closer to the fretboard. The upper fret access is insanely good. It feels like a normal guitar neck until fret 23, where my hand starts to hit the body a little bit. If I did a prs scoop cut (I might add that next summer) then it would be even better. Compare that to a stratocaster, where my hand hits the heel block at fret 15. The tradeoff is that the neck needs to extend into the body a little bit, pushing the neck pickup towards the bridge. It's positioned almost like a middle pickup on a strat.

But with the size of the 7 string neck, combined with the additional width at the upper frets, it doesn't play like a 6 string at the really high frets. I could have made more of a heel on the neck under the upper frets and left room for the neck pickup to move closer without harming the playability. Oh well. The reason I'm making 2 guitars is so I could learn how to do it on the first.

The pickups currently in there are cheap Jacksons. I bought them in case the guitar was completely unplayable. If it was going to hang on the wall for the rest of its life then any pickup would do. Now that it's playable I've started shopping for nice 7 string pickups for it.

T.O.B.
Nice job...There are a few makers that put part of the neck under the neck PU, PRS included....Check out Brubaker for some interesting methods of neck attachments...
Hope I don't cross the Mendoza line mentioning another luthier.

I knew PRS does this. I hadn't heard of Brubaker before. Very pretty instruments! Those burls they use are something else. And I see what you mean with the neck joint. I'm very amateur as far as luthiers go, seeing as I've only built 1 guitar so far. I love seeing what other luthiers make. Sometimes it's inspiring, but sometimes it's sad to see how great their creations are. I'm proud of my work, but I also know its flaws compared to what others make.

My roommate might commission me to build him a 7 string telecaster body. I don't want to build him a neck because of how much time it takes, but just making a body isn't too bad. If we go through with it, then I think I can officially count as a luthier.

Back