My dream guitar - HBII with rosewood neck

Jo-

f-hole lover
Hey, hey! Years ago when I got my first 2003 Hollowbody and after experiencing the feel of a naked rosewood neck I always wished for a HB with one. But PRS said they would never make them as they were too neck heavy, bla bla bla. But as always, things change and PRS did make a few non PS HB's with IRW necks.

I was thrilled when I was able to snag one second hand for a good deal. Black Cherry wasn't my ideal colour but and would have preferred a vintage yellow or something different (I already have 2 black cherry PRSi), but it had the rosewood neck. I wasn't going to be picky.

It sounds incredible, although I must say the sound of the rosewood neck isn't as pronounced as the irw neck on my CU22. However, it just feels great. It also isn't neck heavy, maybe it's a little more heavier than a mahogany neck, but I would in no way call it neck heavy. It balances nicely on my lap and when standing.

So I present to you my 2013 PRS HBII Artist package with Indian rosewood neck and Brazilian fretboard. So here's the eye candy.

Flamey arse shot first! Look at that neck!!

IMG_2894.JPG

IMG_2908.JPG

IMG_2905.JPG

IMG_2907.JPG

IMG_2906.JPG

Cold light of day pic
IMG_2878.JPG

So what do you think?

Rosewood necks are habit forming. I have the 594 HBII BRW dream from time to time, but always wake up. I'll keep dreaming, but I'm glad you found yours!

Wow! Love the look of the rosewood neck with the black cherry finish!

Also, the wrapped stain with the black center looks soooooo cool. A lot of people prefer the look of exposed maple binding (I like both exposed and wrapped binding) but this just looks absolutely killer with the wrapped black cherry and black center.

Congrats, that is an incredibly unique and superb build, right there!

Last edited:
Congrats and thanks for posting this beauty! Sounds like you found a lighter weight IRW neck, or PRS selected it for the HB II run they did. Some RW necks DO weigh a ton!

Congrats on the HBII, those RW necks are fantastic feeling/playing.

That's a GORGEOUS guitar. Congrats.

Also, my local dealer has an artist package HBII with rosewood neck in stock. It's yellow.
h1ewhqp6ganmbxocdgfc.jpg

That one sure looks like it's from Danville's Music in CA. Got to see/try it in person, really beautiful HBII too.

Stunning guitar and I love the Black Cherry. I would love a Rosewood neck on my Hollowbody ii as well.

Mine is a Fire Red Burst 1 piece Maple top/back Hollowbody ii
1Q2v5kW.jpg

8kDrftA.jpg

This seems to have replaced Black Cherry now. Its interesting seeing the way yours has the colour all round where the binding would be and the Mahogany sides painted black...

Stunning guitar and I love the Black Cherry. I would love a Rosewood neck on my Hollowbody ii as well.

Mine is a Fire Red Burst 1 piece Maple top/back Hollowbody ii

<drool worthy pictures snipped>

This seems to have replaced Black Cherry now. Its interesting seeing the way yours has the colour all round where the binding would be and the Mahogany sides painted black...

Absolutely beautiful... I can only assume that mine got the binding dyed because maybe they did a boo-boo and ruined the natural binding. And normally black is the back colour for black cherry (isn't it). Interesting that yours didn't even get the black. I also have a Singlecut HBI in black cherry, I will have to check what the back mahogany colour is ... I think it may be black cherry too. Can't remember now. My black cherry CE24 has the black back.

Back