My dream guitar arrived today!!!

brentrocks

I'm sure you find it hard to believe, with all the guitars that pass through my hands....

I'm a HUGE Ace Frehley fan...HUGE!!! He is the reason I started playing guitar. I've met him 3 times over the past 30 years. The last time, which was December 14, 2019, I asked Ace to sign my left shoulder...I had it tattooed in the next morning. Yeah...hardcore.

Anyway...the guitar!!! Its a 1998 Gibson Ace Frehley Les Paul Custom. When the 4 original members of KISS reunited back in 1996, Gibson did a limited run of these guitars in conjunction with Ace. There was a CS run of 300, then there were the standard production models....this is a standard production model.

It has all the features of a LP Custom with some added ACE BLING. This particular guitar is 9 lbs, 7oz. The neck is a medium C carve, around .850. Three DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups. Ebony board with special inlays. And an Ace graphic on the headstock.

I had one of these back in 2000. Who knows why, but i ended up selling it. The past few years I had been keeping an eye out to acquire another one of these, but the prices absolutely went through the roof!!! I had kinda given up on even being able to get one of these again. This one came along for a price that was the best i had seen in a long time...so I went for it! Its been played...but I didnt buy it to hang on a wall. It gonna get gigged.

It had been over 20 years since I had had one of these in my hands...I'm a much different guitar player than I was back then. This guitar feels great. The weight isnt too bad. Its sets up really nice..medium/low action. Great sustain. The sound is pure Rock n Roll!!! Its not shrill or ice picky...its just a great rock tone!!! I'm very happy with the sound through my JCM 2000.

I have a friend that has/had one of these guitars. I am not sure if he still has it. He likes to flip through guitars so it is probably long gone. I got to play it years ago. It was a pretty decent LP. Congrats on the new guitar!

Sweet! I've wanted one of those, just never at the price they were available. Ace is a huge influence for me, not that you can hear it.

Someday I may be able to swing the cutout - right now, I'm settling for the image from the Ace Frehley strings they put out.

picks3.jpg

Sweet!! I briefly had the Epiphone version of that, but the prior owner apparently chain smoked in a small enclosed room with it, and it smelled so bad I hd to move it on. Would love to get my hands on the real thing someday.

Back