My DGT seems to be resonating more after a few months

Dondante

Is this even possible? The guitar just seems that it started resonating a lot more and feels better. Noticeably more. I've had about 3 months.

I would be surprised if 3 months would make a difference, but years of playing does improve a guitar.

That's what I've always understood. I haven't changed strings or anything. I had to order this guitar. The resonate of it was underwhelming and had a hard time Unplugged playing while watching TV etc. Now this thing just sort of sings Unplugged. The highs have also seemed to settle down when plugged in the amp.

Strange.

My theory is sort of a combination one:

The glues and paints dry/cure on a new guitar for a few months. I think it happens, but it's only a guess. I've found that several of my PRSes, including my Tonare acoustic, had the tone seem to 'gel' after 3 months.

Also, as you get used to the guitar and learn its secrets, you find it easier to get the sounds you want; in other words, you're able to get more out of it.

These are just theories. Not saying I'm right. But I've experienced what you're hearing, too.

I have found all my PRS " break in " after a bit and sound even better !!!!
IMHO you are not hearing things

Is this even possible? The guitar just seems that it started resonating a lot more and feels better. Noticeably more. I've had about 3 months.
Yes it's possible. It took my telecaster (by the "F" company) a good year to sound really open and chimey - the nitro cured.....

.and I changed the pickups, bridge saddles and filed the nut correctly :cool:

I find that's the usual mark with PRSi. You know the guitar better and it knows you better, and at least with the nitro finish guitars, the finish on the back of the neck is now not sticky :)

There is someone out there who sells a thing you attach to your guitar to get it "broke in". I forget what it's called but it basically vibrates the guitar, simulating the effect of playing it for a really long time. Just hang the guitar up, attach the device and let it run for a few days and there are those who swear by it.

There is someone out there who sells a thing you attach to your guitar to get it "broke in". I forget what it's called but it basically vibrates the guitar, simulating the effect of playing it for a really long time. Just hang the guitar up, attach the device and let it run for a few days and there are those who swear by it.

I've heard of this. I take my acoustics and set them on stands a few feet from my guitar cabs while I'm playing my electrics, to help break them in.

Sounds kinda like the method some places (like Scumback) use to break in speakers. Same principle, anyway.

She was just being shy around you. Now she will sing a lot more . I found the same thing with my DGT and happily report that after 4 years of having her , she's a screamer lol

It's very likely, I believe it's a combination of several things. But mostly related to neck Stability settling down.
Changing seasons, and allowing the guitar to equilibrate in tune during low humidity season and going through one high humidity season, About 3 months. Wood actually breathes Water vapor in and out. And while it's under tension you're actually curving the neck into its final position that it's going to stay in for many many years. A guitar neck is literally like a bow and arrow. The wood wants to be straight but your applying string pressure to it to bend it, and it finally settles into a happy equilibrium with the string tension. Watch the PRS video, Jack talks about how long a neck takes to settle down. At 5 thru 9 minutes is the enlightening science. 3 days to make a body, 3 months to make a neck. Once the neck settles down the tuning stability Improves and allows the harmonics to bloom, the wood resins continue to crystallize into its final equilibrated Happy place.
My Gibson Les Paul was unstable for about 6 months And I was unhappy with it, I had to tune it every 15 minutes, then just suddenly it seemed, I didn't have to tune it anymore, And it started sounding amazing. It was amazing I had to fight with the guitar for months, the G the B and the low E were almost never in tune. Then after several weeks of winter and low humidity With the house heaters on, it blossomed, I didn't have to tune it for a week straight. And it's been stable ever since.
PRS's Are definitely several levels above Gibson with that kind of engineering and thinking.

Really good PRS video.

That's a great video; it's been linked several times, and each time, I'm fascinated and watch it all the way through.

Hearing those mahogany neck blanks ring like that, and seeing the "how" and "why" of what makes a PRS a PRS is pretty damn cool.

Back