My CE24! Questions :)

auntie.krist

Hello all,

I just bought a PRS CE24 from Long and McQuade. It is a 2017 model judging by the serial number.. 17-239363 but what is interesting is it's colour is black cherry quilt which I can't find anywhere on the PRS website. Is it a limited edition perhaps? There is a dark cherry sunburst and ruby but mine is quite dark and the L&M info says black cherry quilt. I can't find any info on it online.

Any ideas!

Also, I play primarily metal style music, would any of you recommend swapping the pickups out for Seymour Duncan's or are the stock pickups plenty. They sound fairly good with my EVH 5150iii

Dealers have special color runs, from time to time. Could just be a "sprayers choice" too. You should be good with those pick ups. They'll be fairly sensitive to height and pole piece adjustments as well. Tweak away!

Congrats on the new CE, and welcome to the forum.

Now, excuse me while I run out and pick up some Black Cherry ice cream. Thanks for putting that thought in my head! :)

Dealers have special color runs, from time to time. Could just be a "sprayers choice" too. You should be good with those pick ups. They'll be fairly sensitive to height and pole piece adjustments as well. Tweak away!

Congrats on the new CE, and welcome to the forum.

Now, excuse me while I run out and pick up some Black Cherry ice cream. Thanks for putting that thought in my head! :)

I want some ice cream as well! Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I think ill be happy with the stock pick-ups as well. They do sound quite hot with this EVH I picked up but the clean is awful but that has everything to do with the amp and not the guitar. I played this guitar through a fender deluxe hot rod in store and the clean was incredible sounding.

Cheers!

Awesome! Post some pics - otherwise it is a Hondo.

There was a dealer-special run of CEs with quilted tops done somewhat recently - you can still see some on Reverb. Perhaps L&M got into the action with those other dealers!

I like the 85/15s through my Rectifier and find them tight enough for the kinds of metal I play. I thought I'd want something hotter, but now that I'm used to them I find them just fine.

PRS like to do creative things like making some guitars with non-standard finishes and specs. And as mentioned, they will do unique special runs for dealers as well.

I'm newly inducted into the world of the 85/15 pickups and so far I think that with the level of clarity they have, they should suit any style very well. I'll agree that poor clean tone definitely isn't due to those pickups!

I ended up replacing the pickups with the Seymour Duncan Mayhem set. These are very very hot and they sound great with the EVH, of course the clean tone still won't improve but ill just get another amp for that. :D How do I post a picture I wonder!

I had L&M set the guitar up to standard D, and had them use 52-11 strings.. but I kind of think they forgot to use those strings... because the strings are sooooo loose, I better compare them. to an unopened set I have lying around.

Just recently bought a CE24 myself (NGD in the same section). I am swapping the 85/15s, though. I like them quite a bit, but, I find them to lack the UMF! that other more metal oriented pickups have. I'm replacing them with Bareknuckle Nailbombs with an Alnico V bridge. Had an SC Trem with that calibrated set, and my gawd they sounded amazing in it. SD's Alpha and Omega hums should also sound KILLER in that CE of yours, which is gorgeous, btw.

Actually haven't even heard of the Mayhem set, so will do.

I ended up replacing the pickups with the Seymour Duncan Mayhem set. These are very very hot and they sound great with the EVH, of course the clean tone still won't improve but ill just get another amp for that. :D How do I post a picture I wonder!

I had L&M set the guitar up to standard D, and had them use 52-11 strings.. but I kind of think they forgot to use those strings... because the strings are sooooo loose, I better compare them. to an unopened set I have lying around.

Nice! You can probably sell the 85/15's for what you paid for the Duncans.
I wouldn't be surprised in the least for anyone at L&M to screw something like that up, I've had so many problems with my local L&M in North York. With that said, it should be pretty noticeable if the lowest string is a 52 or not, especially since they likely would have put on 10-46. If you're not sure, you could always call them up and ask them to look over the 'set up' notes on their computer systems as that might help out (or not).

Very cool, a dark cherry red indeed!

Nice! You can probably sell the 85/15's for what you paid for the Duncans.
I wouldn't be surprised in the least for anyone at L&M to screw something like that up, I've had so many problems with my local L&M in North York. With that said, it should be pretty noticeable if the lowest string is a 52 or not, especially since they likely would have put on 10-46. If you're not sure, you could always call them up and ask them to look over the 'set up' notes on their computer systems as that might help out (or not).

Very cool, a dark cherry red indeed!

Yeah they are .52 for sure. I don't understand why they are soooo floppy though, this same set-up on my Gibson explorer has the strings much tighter etc. I am going to take it to L&M in Waterloo and see what they have to say.

Where do you think I could sell the 85/15s ? I definitely would.

Yeah they are .52 for sure. I don't understand why they are soooo floppy though, this same set-up on my Gibson explorer has the strings much tighter etc. I am going to take it to L&M in Waterloo and see what they have to say.

Where do you think I could sell the 85/15s ? I definitely would.

Hmm, if you have the same string gauge (11-52) on your Gibson in the same tuning and the tension feels more loose it could be largely based on the setup of the guitar and or the different bridges, etc. I find that higher action at the bridge makes it feel like the strings have more tension.

Where in Canada do you live? It's much easier to sell stuff in bigger city centers. You could #1 see if your L&M might be interested in buying them off you for them to resell #2 try selling locally online (Kijiji) #3 try selling online, not-local (Ebay, Reverb, some music forums have buy/sell sections).

That's a nice guitar! I'll try and fix your pic stays out here where people can see it:

image1.jpg

Hmm, if you have the same string gauge (11-52) on your Gibson in the same tuning and the tension feels more loose it could be largely based on the setup of the guitar and or the different bridges, etc. I find that higher action at the bridge makes it feel like the strings have more tension.

Where in Canada do you live? It's much easier to sell stuff in bigger city centers. You could #1 see if your L&M might be interested in buying them off you for them to resell #2 try selling locally online (Kijiji) #3 try selling online, not-local (Ebay, Reverb, some music forums have buy/sell sections).

Heya, I am in Kitchener, Ontario. I will throw the pick-ups on eBay and L&M. Thanks!!

Back