My Bernie w/53/10s

Danerada

Goatee Practitioner
So I am playing the Bernie last night and I noticed that there is a noticeable difference in output between the neck and the bridge pups. So if I have just the bridge selected and get it where I like it and then switch to the neck, BOOM there is a big volume difference.

My question is: Is that on purpose? Like if I keep the neck volume on about 7 and the bridge volume on 10, the volume is the same between the pups. So if I want some punch I just turn the volume to 10 on the neck...for solos and such? Is that how it should work?

I have messed with pup height, but it isn't making much difference.

I am not complaining. As long as I know they are working as they should I am totally cool with it.

Sock pots and caps. I did install the mojo tone volume mod. But they were like that before the mojotone install.

Hey Dane, I had this when I had the two Mule pups installed. I think I had the neck right down level with the ring and the bridge as high as I could get it before that caused issues in itself.

It's fairly common or at least I've heard about it enough times to gather there's nothing abnormal about it. There's more energy in the string around the neck pup so bridge pups are usually wound a bit hotter to compensate. Sometimes the settings on the amp and or pedals can accentuate this.

My Bernie is better balanced with the pretty hot Suhr pup in the bridge and the Mule in the neck. Having said that, it wasn't the desire for balance that made me change it.

Dane, do you have an iphone or something similar. I downloaded a sound level meter onto my girlfriends iphone to try and balance the pups and string balance. Not perfect but it may give you an idea if they're massively off.

If your bridge pup sounds like it should sound - rather than hollow or weak then I don't think it's an issue.

So I am playing the Bernie last night and I noticed that there is a noticeable difference in output between the neck and the bridge pups. So if I have just the bridge selected and get it where I like it and then switch to the neck, BOOM there is a big volume difference.

Dane, I notice the same thing with the 53/10s I popped into my SCHB. I have the bridge pickup up pretty high, and the neck pickup pretty low to try to balance it out.

Hey Dane, I had this when I had the two Mule pups installed. I think I had the neck right down level with the ring and the bridge as high as I could get it before that caused issues in itself.

Dane, I notice the same thing with the 53/10s I popped into my SCHB. I have the bridge pickup up pretty high, and the neck pickup pretty low to try to balance it out.

Yeah fellas...that is what I am trying now.

Back