My #1 is an S2 Standard 22....all stock, crazy right.....

Russ73

I have what would be nicer guitars and Core PRS but Im telling you this guitar is a winner! plays great and sounds great plus a great neck and fretboard and the S2 body is the most comfortable hands down...just my opinion of course lol...any other S2 aficionados out there?

Not really an S2 aficionado... but I’m totally on board with the all mahogany PRS guitars.

They’re just so good sounding.

Kind of the same here. I have two core 594s. About two months ago I added an S2 Standard 22 in Antique White that I happened to pick up at a store. I knew it was coming home with me immediately.

The S2 is a lot of fun. Easy to play, comfortable and sounds great. It's a keeper.

I succumbed to the overpowering effects of GAS before the S2's came out so I had most of my bases covered. But like Sergio, I love a good all mahogany axe.

I completely agree. The S2 is a fantastic guitar in sound, playability and ergonomics, especially at that price point. Been pleasantly surprised with them.

S2 aficionados? Well, I’ve got 3, so I suppose I am. Two of them are standard 22’s, one of those being a Studio, so a standard with different pickups.

I can’t say one of them is my #1, because all of my PRS guitars do different things and it just depends on the job I need done. But, I’ll say this, if I lost everything and had to run out and get one new guitar, it would be an S2 Standard 22, hands down.

If you had a Vela you might change your mind! It’s simply a great guitar that does its own thing. Oh, and it weighs *nothing*. 11Top and Markie played it the other day. And getting 3 old guys to agree on something (lunch was not simple) is quite a feat.

I’m sure if/when they offer one with a trem I get on board.

Any theories on how the amazing single-coil pick-ups and the sweet HB pick-up would sound on a maple-topped guitar? My S2 Studio is the most Strat-like guitar I own, and the HB has amazing clarity bit is never harsh. How much does the all-hog body impact the tone?

Any theories on how the amazing single-coil pick-ups and the sweet HB pick-up would sound on a maple-topped guitar? My S2 Studio is the most Strat-like guitar I own, and the HB has amazing clarity bit is never harsh. How much does the all-hog body impact the tone?

I’ve always found all-mahogany guitars warm the tone, that is, make it less bright, and a maple cap makes it brighter. But every piece of wood is different, so there probably are as many variations on that theme as there are guitars.

I’ve always found all-mahogany guitars warm the tone, that is, make it less bright, and a maple cap makes it brighter. But every piece of wood is different, so there probably are as many variations on that theme as there are guitars.

Thanks Les. I've wondered about ordering a Private Stock version of the S2 Studio, but in the back of my head I've wondered, would the pick-ups sound as good with a maple top, or are they specifically voiced for all-hog.

I would expect there to be a small amount of added brightness and snap/attack to the notes, but not excessively so, certainly not to the point that the pickups wouldn’t jive.

The S2 Studio is about as fat sounding as I would dare push that kind of guitar - and I like it that way - very fat sounding and with some brightness, but not enough to be harsh. But there’s a balance there, to get those single coil tones, you just don’t want things to get muffled, the S2 Studio hits the sweet spot of getting as warm and fat as possible without going too far. I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to have one made with a maple top, if you’re concerned about not being harsh, thin, bright, whatever you want to call it, you still wouldn’t be in the neighborhood of something like a strat. Now, if you put a maple neck on there, that could get a little too snappy and bright, for some people - I totally get it, I’m not big on maple necks and bright guitars. Personally, I wouldn’t expect a ton of difference from a tonal perspective, and not sure paying the dough for a PS would be worth it from the standpoint of having a different tool, but that’s totally up to you.

I wonder if PRS pulled the plug prematurely on the S2 Studio. They were a limited run, but went on for a while, the run may have been extended due to their popularity. Even so, I think they could keep on selling plenty. Of course, they have the sales data and I don’t, so I can’t say for sure. With the in-between positions like a strat, yet different from tone of the Silver Sky, they itch a scratch that nothing else in the S2 line does, and they’re just so dang good.

If I was on a moderate budget and could only have one guitar, it may just be an S2 Studio. I may swap the bridge pickup out for a 57/08 in the name of versatility, the Starla pickup is certainly great for what it does, lots of chime and less mid push, which compliments the singles very nicely, but won’t growl as much as a PAF type. That being said, having multiple guitars, I have no desire to change it out.

I've got 3 Vela's and 1 S2 standard 22, along with 4 remaining core models. Can't say that the S2's sound better, but they fit and feel better to me, so much so that I might be selling off a couple of cores soon...

I've done an A/B comparison of the S2 Studio neck pick-up and a Strat I own with Fat 50's pick-ups, and the S2 actually produces the flute-like, airy Strat sound that I love better than....well....better than the Strat. Funny, right? And it's great to have a HB in the bridge position that is rings out with great clarity but is still very well-rounded. Motivation for a PS would be to get a separate volume dial for the HB. That's about the only thing that keeps this guitar from being perfect.

Back