Must see places in Memphis?

DHW

Hey all,

Back in April my youngest(the guitar player) was diagnosed with a brain tumor that has required 2 surgeries so far. We will be leaving on Sunday to go down to St Jude in Memphis for some follow up care. I will be there with her for the first 2 weeks and then I have to come home leaving her and my wife there for another 6 weeks. Are there any must see places(guitar stores, live music, etc) while I am out there with her? Even though we don't own a "g" I am going to see about getting her a tour of the factory, that is about all I have had time to come up with.

She has been dying for a new guitar but I just can't do that right now but a place with a nice selection of PRS to drool over and get some ideas wouldn't hurt...

She likes rock music, I figure there will be a fair bit of country down there but figure with the whole Elvis thing maybe there will be some rock... We will likely go visit Graceland since we will be there.

Any idea's would be great.

As a dad, I both empathize and can't imagine what you're going thru. Sending you all the good vibes...

I've never been either, but a Sun Studios tour would defn be on my hit list (and one of those awesome shirts).
I would wager Beale Street is pretty touristy, but would look for something less so to get that in.

Go to "Central Barbecue" in Memphis for lunch and enjoy an ice cold beer while you are standing in line just to get to the register where you will place your order for some really yummy BBQ.

Never been to Memphis, but +1 to the Sun Studios suggestion. And Martin Music (1659 Poplar Ave.) - Eric is a great guy.

And huge amounts of mojo sent your way.

Sun studios is a very short tour, not much there. Graceland is nice, lots to see.

best bbq, cozy corners near st judes
best fried chicken, Gus's
Beale street is a must.

PRS shopping, Martin Music in midtown, not too far from St Judes.

I think you will miss the biggest bbq event Memphis in May, good food amd music.

Peabody Hotel downtown has the famous ducks.

oh Memphis is a rock and blues town, not country, thats nashville. Beale street has the blues and rock bands playing. oh yeah Hueys has great burgers and fun place.

Thanks guys,

My daughter had most of the tumor removed last month via surgery. There is a long term study under way at St Jude dealing with this specific type of tumor with a proton beam. They are 10 years into the 20 year study and there are loads of kids that started in the beginning that have had zero tumor growth since. That was with using a much less advanced proton beam than the one they built in memphis over the last couple years. They are now getting even better results. With a little luck this will finish the tumor off. It will require an MRI every quarter for at least 5 years though and the tumor has already destroyed her pituitary gland. She will be on hormone replacement for life because of it, that is easier to deal with than the tumor but can be very life threatening if she gets sick due to not being able to control her cortisol production naturally.

This year has started off to be one of the worst years ever for our family... In January my mother in law was placed on hospice. My wife spent almost all her time in chicago at her parent's house to make sure she had the care to keep her home. Then in early february I had a freak blood clot hit my lungs out of the blue. I had to be airlifted to a bigger hospital and was in the ICU for several days. I was very close to not coming through it. Then at the end of February my wife's grandmother passed away from lung cancer. The entire month of March my daughter literally ate nothing due to having zero interest in food and vomiting anything up she tried to force down. It look that entire month to work through all the tests in the order the insurance would pay for them before we finally got to the MRI. On 4/7 she finally had an MRI at 3pm, after I drove like a maniac to get her to Children's in Madison she was on the operating table at 8pm to place a drain to relieve the pressure. My mother in law passed on 4/10. On 4/13 my daughter had an 8 hour surgery that turned into 15 hours to get as much of the tumor out as they could. She spent the next few weeks in the ICU without us leaving her side. Now we are heading to memphis for more treatment... I am hoping 2018 is NOTHING like 2017!

I want to make Memphis as "vacation like" as possible. I also need to be on the lookout for the right custom 24 for the kid, she's been incredibly strong through all this and deserves it as soon as I can swing it. Hoping she can get a chance to drool over a few down there as she will have gone a full 6 months without a visit to Dave's by the time this is done lol.

Commissary, memphis bbq company, gus's, sun studio, graceland, peabody, zoo, childrens museum is all on the list. Beale street we will try to get to.

Dude, that's a rough year. All the best mojo and bro-hugs to you and yours!

All the best to you and your family, it sounds like you're due for some better days ahead!

I really love Memphis, but it has a melancholy vibe to it. I guess that is to be expected since it is the home of the Blues. As other have mentioned, Sun Studio, Graceland and some BBQ are must sees. Also, the Civil Rights Museum at The Lorraine hotel is well worth your time. It's sad, yet somehow uplifting.

Back