Musical phrases

A little bit naughty, just in case anyone is sensitive (You have been warned)

Going to quote a phrase from a song. See if you can guess the song, the band or both.

“Anus curly wurly”

What song is this phrase from. Most of us grew up with this band!!

That’s a bit personal! Oh you said Anus, that’s ok.

So the proper words are?

Wikipedia tells all.

Something about faulty tape heads, when Manfred Mann recorded their version and the infamous misheard line:

“Wrapped up like a douche”

I believe Springsteen originally wrote it as:

“Cut loose like a deuce”

Well, I'll be dipped in donkey dung! Of course, I'm probably the last person to decipher song lyrics. Durning late high school & early college, I sang in a R&R band - long before the internet. Only way to get the lyrics was to repeat those phrases by lifting and resetting the tone arm and furiously write the lyrics. And, using a stereo that was light years away from audiophile quality. So, when covering The Animals' "House of the Rising Sun," I sang "My mother was a traitor, she sold my new blue jeans." :eek:

I was never one to listen to lyrics, never have been.
Me, too. Never cared much about what they were saying, which was weird because I often sang in bands (as a kid - I'm no vocalist). I was all about the musical instruments, the arrangement, and the audio.

Did I bother to learn the actual lyrics? Nope. Not until I got into the biz professionally. Then the world turned.

Aw heck, the musical world turned in multiple ways once I got going, and it's STILL turning!!!

My friends now include some wonderful lyricists, my fave to work with being the brilliant David Barrett, who wrote 'One Shining Moment', the song they use in the NCAA tournament finals. We formed kind of a recording band, but so far we've only recorded one track with another friend, and she's a terrific vocalist.

David's the finest acoustic guitar player I know, by the way. Toured with Art Garfunkel. Knows his sh!t.

He and I talk a few times a week. A simple conversation with him is an education in telling a story. What a great pal to have!

I should add that I really enjoy my friends, and the past few years have been pretty hard with all the COVID stuff. Glad that seems to be subsiding as a major worry.

"You're dropping names again, Les."

"I'm kind of obnoxious that way, but if I have 'besties' Dave's one of them. I feel kind of OK with talking about true friends. We don't get that many in life."

Last edited:
I feel kind of OK with talking about true friends. We don't get that many in life."
Or, we end up with 0 by choice. Had one too many “bad” friends in my life. I have my wonderful family, my band family and that’s good enough for me. I am an introvert but can shine like no tomorrow when truly pressed to socialize. It just drains me mentally though. I would rather be alone playing my guitar and having a great time all by myself.

I get more then enough socialization through work. When I come home I like to kick off my shoes, play with my pups then it’s practice time. I can always count on my guitars to provide me the challenges I need, the discipline and happiness. My guitars are always there for me unlike most acquaintances I know. Ppl in general suck or are manipulative or just game players. I fed up with it all. I am absolutely my best friend and cheer leader. I don need to waste time on wanna be friends.

Last edited:
Around that same time I was listening to "I'm So Glad" by Cream on the living room stereo.
Mom's in the kitchen and with a raised voice says "alright, I'm glad he's glad. Now shut it off!!!"
My father said the same thing to me as a kid! I guess it did get kind of repetitive.

=K

I am absolutely my best friend and cheer leader. I don need to waste time on wanna be friends.
"No issue with that statement. And yet she's wasting time with us, isn't she, Les?"

"Hard to believe, isn't it? Of course, someone can always hit the "ignore" menu choice and not have to deal with us."

"But there are all these other people here...it's not like this forum is going to win the Pulitzer Prize in...well...anything."

"Wait just a second. Our posts are often semi-informative, and some even come close to being humorous enough to have people post "hahaha" emojis."

"Nothing says Lovin' like one in the oven."

Ok, I made that one up.

I did make it up for a country song I wrote, but you probably haven't heard or misheard it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back