Musical Instrument Museum, do it.

KThaxton

Last weekend, the wife and I went to Phoenix for a snow reprieve and went to the Musical Instrument Museum (MIM), absolutely incredible! It took us about 5 hours to see everything including a short lunch.

I was a bit shocked when the first hall we entered called "Treasures" (extra fee, display of loaned instruments) had a Dragon 2002 on display. This particular display was ultimately about inlay work by "Pearl Works" and included several examples of their work, the Dragon being one of them. It included a running video including an interview with Paul. They also display 3 inlaid fretboards including the NYC skyline like one of the Private Stock models from a month or two ago.

There were two other PRS's in the other displays, Santana's first PRS and Al Di Meola's. I of course was drawn to all the string instruments, my wife is music teacher and was drawn to everything. One that nearly brought a tear to my eye was what was claimed is the oldest full side guitar in exitance from the 1590's. I was surprised that I only recall seeing one Les Paul. There were several Strats though, including Eric Clapton's (part of the "Treasures" display) and Jeff Beck's. Many, many other artist guitars.

In the gift shop, I found a book on inlay work with lots of discussion and examples from PRS and also a PRS coffee mug.

If you get a chance, go. It was fantastic!

ZPrEMQe.jpg

zuiMU5s.jpg

IirQoBG.jpg

YNTMrQJ.jpg

dANbmva.jpg

byqRWpf.jpg

3wQnofi.jpg

If you're heading to the MIM then check their concert schedules as the venue is outstanding, the audiences very respectful (tend to be older and there to listen), and shows generally start on time. From chamber music to folk, rock, jazz and blues there's always something good going on at the MIM.

music-theater-1_1920x1280-1280x853.jpg

Nice!

My very first time going into Elderly Music in Michigan, they had a singlecut Dragon almost exactly like that in a glass case as you walked in the door. I stared at that guitar for a good while. This was in the early to mid 2000's. The price on it was 50k if I remember correctly. There is a ton of natural material inlayed into the body of that guitar. That is a ton of work.

Great share @KThaxton

How far is this from Vegas?

That Santana though. I hope the straps holding it are nitro-friendly. And is the headstock as damaged as it looks in the pic?

Nice to see they have @LSchefman student guitar from when he was a teenager;)

Vegas to Phoenix is just over 4.5 hours.

I didn't pay close attention to the headstock, but it did seem a bit hammered.

One thing that surprised me....is there was only minimal mention of "don't touch" throughout the museum.....and you could easily touch sooo many of them. The urge to reach out and pluck some of those very old acoustics was enormous.

If you're heading to the MIM then check their concert schedules as the venue is outstanding, the audiences very respectful (tend to be older and there to listen), and shows generally start on time. From chamber music to folk, rock, jazz and blues there's always something good going on at the MIM.

We checked the schedule, but there were no performances while we were there. That would have been a treat for sure though.

Vegas to Phoenix is just over 4.5 hours.

I didn't pay close attention to the headstock, but it did seem a bit hammered.

One thing that surprised me....is there was only minimal mention of "don't touch" throughout the museum.....and you could easily touch sooo many of them. The urge to reach out and pluck some of those very old acoustics was enormous.
Thanks

Back