Music sleeve in progress HEALED

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
I saw this guy outside yesterday so I took the opportunity to grab I healed shot of this sleeve in progress. I am pretty happy with the way things have settled in so far.

279903155_10166355451115331_851743120875330577_n_by_danktat_df4t4m3-fullview.jpg

That part I didn't do. He is actually looking to cover that up as we move forward.

Dah! Well the rest is great, too. Hopefully I complimented your work when you posted it before.

I'd definitely be interested in the cover up. That aspect of the art fascinates me. How do you even decide what the new image will be?

Dah! Well the rest is great, too. Hopefully I complimented your work when you posted it before.

I'd definitely be interested in the cover up. That aspect of the art fascinates me. How do you even decide what the new image will be?
We haven't gotten that far yet. Up to this point, as long as it was on theme, he was cool with the way things were coming along (which is why I got to do a PRS headstock on him instead of, say an F or a G type). I am pretty sure, when he is ready, we will come up with something. :D

The PRS headstock is a great touch - all of your work you've posted here is quality art. If I knew that guy, I'd try to talk him out of covering up the keys turning into sound waves - that was an imaginative touch. But, what do I know? I don't have single tat.

If I knew that guy, I'd try to talk him out of covering up the keys turning into sound waves - that was an imaginative touch. But, what do I know? I don't have single tat.
That is because you are looking at the "idea" behind the work and not the quality of the work itself. That happens often in this industry. Often, the shamrock with the lettering in it that is "decently" done will get more attention than something executed much better but isn't as "relatable" or "crafty"......Drives tattoo artists nuts.

If I knew that guy, I'd try to talk him out of covering up the keys turning into sound waves - that was an imaginative touch.
Think of it like this. . .If you were listening to a passage of music, and the guitar player used the V chord to lead back to the I, but, the execution of the fingering was sloppy and buzzy, the timing was off, and the transition of the progression was unnatural as it related to the drums and bass, you, as a guitar player would be like "that was horrible playing". HOWEVER, someone who doesn't play music might listen to that same progression, and because the V leading back to the I feels and sounds "familiar" or "relatable" they may hear it as sounding pretty good. What they would be hearing is the "idea" behind the progression as opposed to the "Execution". You, as a musician, would probably need BOTH to be satisfied with the listening experience. Now, that non musician may hear a complex piece of Jazz or Classical music, flawlessly executed, and craftily composed, but, because it doesn't feel "familiar", they may not like it nearly as much as that I IV V progression that we all know so well. See what I mean?

Think of it like this. . .If you were listening to a passage of music, and the guitar player used the V chord to lead back to the I, but, the execution of the fingering was sloppy and buzzy, the timing was off, and the transition of the progression was unnatural as it related to the drums and bass, you, as a guitar player would be like "that was horrible playing". HOWEVER, someone who doesn't play music might listen to that same progression, and because the V leading back to the I feels and sounds "familiar" or "relatable" they may hear it as sounding pretty good. What they would be hearing is the "idea" behind the progression as opposed to the "Execution". You, as a musician, would probably need BOTH to be satisfied with the listening experience. Now, that non musician may hear a complex piece of Jazz or Classical music, flawlessly executed, and craftily composed, but, because it doesn't feel "familiar", they may not like it nearly as much as that I IV V progression that we all know so well. See what I mean?
Your analogy got me thinking… so among the artists who do skin, which is more highly regarded: well-executed mediocrity or mediocrely-executed genius?

For me, musically, it’s the latter. I'm curious!

well-executed mediocrity or mediocrely-executed genius?
Well, as someone who has both competed in, and judged a few hundred competitions, the decisions are based on numbers [first]. So, it would be line work, shading, transitions, saturation, flow, overall appearance...etc.......each of those bits of criteria are given a number grade, and then added up for final scores. Once all of the technical stuff is out of the way, there are often ties as far as the numbers go. THEN, we bring the contestants back up to scrutinize further. That is often where the originality, idea, etc are factored in. Because, poorly executed work isn't considered "worthy" material.

In this case however, {meaning the keyboard part] there wasn't really any "genius" in the idea. It is about the same as a heart, becoming an EKG line, or an infinity symbol becoming the names of someone's kids. And the execution is quite a bit less than mediocre for what a professional would do.

Really interesting. Thanks for taking the time to point that out.

(Ink is not my thing, so I'm curious about how the professional practitioners view it and do it.)

-K

I get that. My sister is an artist, and in the past has pointed out art that I thought was good was actually "schlocky" in her opinion. She inherited Dad's drawing artistry, but I got none of it. :( Oh, well, I still like what I like, and although that piano/sound wave ink could have been executed better, it was still highly imaginative. Too bad you couldn't have done it up for him. Happy inking to you, and play on.:)

I get that. My sister is an artist, and in the past has pointed out art that I thought was good was actually "schlocky" in her opinion. She inherited Dad's drawing artistry, but I got none of it. :( Oh, well, I still like what I like, and although that piano/sound wave ink could have been executed better, it was still highly imaginative. Too bad you couldn't have done it up for him. Happy inking to you, and play on.:)
I may just end up trying to rework it as opposed to covering it up completely. We will see what direction he wants to go with it.

Back