Music Scales / Modes

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Am wondering, is there a good source from which to learn about music scales and modes?

Granted, I'm not much of a book reader, but without doing any previous Google search, have any of you folks chanced across a free-to-view website at the intermediate level that teaches about music scales and modes?

Am hoping to learn something about various modern and international scales, along with an understanding of modes that will eventually improve my technique as well as my ability.

Thanks in advance.

Here's one I use for reference. It has a bunch of exotic scales as well. It's pretty easy to use/navigate. Will it "teach" you? No, but you can use it to get you going.

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

Thanks, Mark. I checked Wikipedia but their sound samples were in some weird format that required a software download, so I scrapped that idea and just looked to YT for instruction. Will look into all-guitar-chords in a few minutes.

EDIT: All-Guitar-Chords is a useful compilation of most everything I'll ever need to know scale-wise. Lot of info to pore through there...

Last edited:
There's a guy on you tube called "Justin Guitar", he seems to give lessons away for free (sells merchandise, takes donations). You may be able to find a series of lessons from him useful.

There's a guy on you tube called "Justin Guitar", he seems to give lessons away for free (sells merchandise, takes donations). You may be able to find a series of lessons from him useful.

Thanks, BP, I'd previously had Justin bookmarked on YT for a time. Perhaps it's time to revisit his channel again...

Not sure where you need to start, but this covers relative minors.

http://www.simplifyingtheory.com/relative-minor-major/

All principle modes / scales are interrelated. Using just the fingering for one scale, you can play all of them. The only thing that changes is the root note (start and finish positions).

Thanks for this. Just bookmarked their homepage, although the in-one-ear-out-the-other musical notation/pretty girl is somewhat disconcerting...:oops:o_O:)

A looper pedal can be handy when learning scales/modes....for example record an A note drone and play the modes along with it. That way your ear can hear the sound of the mode better.

A looper pedal can be handy when learning scales/modes....for example record an A note drone and play the modes along with it. That way your ear can hear the sound of the mode better.

Please, and thanks for the suggestion, but loopers and I go together like two stressed-out idiots trying to find ways to work together calmly. Looper pedals and my feet have almost never been able to find the correct tempo when to come in, when to tap for dubbing, when to anything else.

If it were as simple as trying to convince your co-workers to not touch the "thermostat," that would be a winning solution. :);)o_O

loopers and I go together like two stressed-out idiots trying to find ways to work together calmly.

Get yourself some recording software, record a couple of bars and just set it to loop. It's more complex of a setup (have to have a mic and some reasonable speakers to play back on), but it takes the foot coordination problem out of the picture. =)

Please, and thanks for the suggestion, but loopers and I go together like two stressed-out idiots trying to find ways to work together calmly. Looper pedals and my feet have almost never been able to find the correct tempo when to come in, when to tap for dubbing, when to anything else.

If it were as simple as trying to convince your co-workers to not touch the "thermostat," that would be a winning solution. :);)o_O

Loopers are great for working on your timing for just the reasons you describe. Especially a looper that will allow you to have multiple loops playing either simultaneously or sequentially.

Get yourself some recording software, record a couple of bars and just set it to loop. It's more complex of a setup (have to have a mic and some reasonable speakers to play back on), but it takes the foot coordination problem out of the picture. =)

Loopers are great for working on your timing for just the reasons you describe. Especially a looper that will allow you to have multiple loops playing either simultaneously or sequentially.

I used to own iRehearse Plus but wasn't keen on the learning curve. Practicing sections of song parts might be OK if I could work out the setup and be up and working with my computer monitors.

Oh, yes, don't let me forget. Remove AC cover from outdoor AC vent, and set indoor thermostat to OFF. Warmer weather in the next several weeks will certainly require this. Next few days will be spring rains, intermittent with warmer days. Forecaster will definitely describe sticky humidity soon, am prepared with Gold Bond and foot spray...o_O:);)...chafing is not part of my regular schedule...:D

I have a looper that I have never used. I agree they are very useful, but I use a beatbuddy when I feel the need to practice to a rhythm. Either that or play along to music.

I have a looper that I have never used. I agree they are very useful, but I use a beatbuddy when I feel the need to practice to a rhythm. Either that or play along to music.

I like the Digitech Trio Plus as my 'looper'. You set the chordal structure, tempo and length of the loop first and the Digitech Trio Plus creates a drum and bass section depending on the genre you set. The bass part will pick up on the chords you played and build a bass part. You can pick different types too within each genre if you don't quite like the first option, change the bass complexity and the volume of both. As you also set the length of the loop, once you are happy with the bass and drum beat, you can start building the Rhythm guitar. Its really easy too as you don't have to hit the record and stop recording either. It can start recording as soon as you start playing and will stop recording at the right time you set up at the start.

You can build songs too rather than just a repeating loop. It has the ability to have 5 different parts - like a verse, bridge, chorus, solo etc section so you can build up a song with different chords, style/beats etc and rhythm section too Then just programme in the song structure - ie verse then chorus, back to verse then chorus followed by a bridge into a Solo section back to chorus, verse, bridge 2, chorus, chorus, end. Its a bit less tedious than playing over the same 12 bar loop over and over again. Of course if you just want to practice soloing in different modes, different places on the neck, different scales etc over the same basic 12bar loop, you can do that too.

What I like about the Digitech though is that it uses your input to build a bass/drum beat that you can change until you find the one you want to build upon. Not being a metronomic click and a lot more interesting than picking just a drum beat from a small choice to practice timing to. The simplicity of the Digitech also means you aren't messing around trying to get the 'start/stop' timing right if you want to build a loop and it can be as simple or as complex a song structure you want. Its easier than trying to find a drummer and a bassist, maybe even a Rhythm guitarist if you want to practice lead guitar.

Each to their own of course, I prefer the Digitech Trio Plus as looper and backing band in one device. You of course are the Rhythm guitar in the loop and lead guitar over the top to practice different scales and modes, not just on one area but different places up and down the neck if you want, try different licks and create your own solo's.

Another option I have at my disposal is the Boss JS-10 which has backing tracks as well as the GT100 suite of guitar effects. You can use the Aux port to play your own music, slow it down to if you are trying to learn a solo. Its a decent little table top amp and effects too for just practising and noodling at home with. Certainly better than just practising scales, modes etc with no backing track, rhythm section and just the click of a metronome. I think the JS-10 is a decent bedroom/practising tool. Even if you are a gigging/touring musician, you can use this as a warm-up amp, bus amp, hotel amp etc - have your entire set list plugged into it and practice your solo's etc too. Its a great tool for musicians regardless of skill level - from beginner to pro!

I like the Digitech Trio Plus as my 'looper'. You set the chordal structure, tempo and length of the loop first and the Digitech Trio Plus creates a drum and bass section depending on the genre you set. The bass part will pick up on the chords you played and build a bass part. You can pick different types too within each genre if you don't quite like the first option, change the bass complexity and the volume of both. As you also set the length of the loop, once you are happy with the bass and drum beat, you can start building the Rhythm guitar. Its really easy too as you don't have to hit the record and stop recording either. It can start recording as soon as you start playing and will stop recording at the right time you set up at the start.

You can build songs too rather than just a repeating loop. It has the ability to have 5 different parts - like a verse, bridge, chorus, solo etc section so you can build up a song with different chords, style/beats etc and rhythm section too Then just programme in the song structure - ie verse then chorus, back to verse then chorus followed by a bridge into a Solo section back to chorus, verse, bridge 2, chorus, chorus, end. Its a bit less tedious than playing over the same 12 bar loop over and over again. Of course if you just want to practice soloing in different modes, different places on the neck, different scales etc over the same basic 12bar loop, you can do that too.

What I like about the Digitech though is that it uses your input to build a bass/drum beat that you can change until you find the one you want to build upon. Not being a metronomic click and a lot more interesting than picking just a drum beat from a small choice to practice timing to. The simplicity of the Digitech also means you aren't messing around trying to get the 'start/stop' timing right if you want to build a loop and it can be as simple or as complex a song structure you want. Its easier than trying to find a drummer and a bassist, maybe even a Rhythm guitarist if you want to practice lead guitar.

Each to their own of course, I prefer the Digitech Trio Plus as looper and backing band in one device. You of course are the Rhythm guitar in the loop and lead guitar over the top to practice different scales and modes, not just on one area but different places up and down the neck if you want, try different licks and create your own solo's.

Another option I have at my disposal is the Boss JS-10 which has backing tracks as well as the GT100 suite of guitar effects. You can use the Aux port to play your own music, slow it down to if you are trying to learn a solo. Its a decent little table top amp and effects too for just practising and noodling at home with. Certainly better than just practising scales, modes etc with no backing track, rhythm section and just the click of a metronome. I think the JS-10 is a decent bedroom/practising tool. Even if you are a gigging/touring musician, you can use this as a warm-up amp, bus amp, hotel amp etc - have your entire set list plugged into it and practice your solo's etc too. Its a great tool for musicians regardless of skill level - from beginner to pro!

Thx for your input, I used to own a Trio Plus about 18 months ago...was an interesting device, but got old quick. Not enough versatility for the genres I was used to jamming along with. I even tried the Ditto Looper, but could never quite get my foot-timing down, when to tap record, dub, etc. Instructions and YT vids were OK, but didn't do much for my timing...sold or returned both devices relatively quickly...

I've since re-downloaded iRehearse and compiled a playlist of cover tunes I could practice to. Will likely need to check YT for instructions on how to select sections of songs so practice can be handled correctly.

If anyone else uses iRehearse, plz chime in with their experience and provide some guidance, if possible. Perhaps some instructions from YT you used to help you get up and working with iRehearse...thanks in advance.

That sounds excellent. TBH, the beatbuddy is better for a bassist to practice with. Though it can be used live for a duo because intro, verse, chorus, outro and all fills are controlled with footswitches.

Would the Digitech Trio Plus be useful for recording?

That sounds excellent. TBH, the beatbuddy is better for a bassist to practice with. Though it can be used live for a duo because intro, verse, chorus, outro and all fills are controlled with footswitches.

Would the Digitech Trio Plus be useful for recording?

I believe it can be used for recording as you can send it direct to a mixer. I personally haven't really used it for that myself.

This is a very good review and in-depth look at the Trio+ which will demonstrate all the different ways to set it up (connections). It can go to a full range speaker set-up to make the most of the bass and drums. It has a built in headphone jack and it will tailor the EQ and Speaker Simulation if you are using headphones or to a mixer.

The video is long but its well worth watching. It should answer any questions you have and some you hadn't thought of....

You can set up sequences in any order with this too. If you want an intro, verse, chorus, bridge, outro, you can sequence each of these and repeat multiple times (run through the intro twice before going to the verse, then chorus, then verse, bridge, chorus 3x, outro twice for example. Don't have to control anything with footswitches.

For the money, its an amazing pedal - especially for 'solo' players!!

Back