Music room tips and/or tricks

Coop

That one guy
So I was finally able to sell my old house and buy a new one. I'm not saying this is the reason, but I got an offer the day after an open house where I had my PRS out.

I just moved over the weekend (great timing if you live in the Minneapolis area... ugh). Now I have an actual dedicated music room for the first time. Nothing huge, but it will be my own little 10x10 room that I can hide out in. I know many of you have your own music rooms. What were some ideas that you either implemented later or wish you had done when setting it up that you didn't think of initially?

My goal was to make it somewhere I like to hang out. It had to "flow" from Zen perspective. Not really. Always wanted to say that. At first, I had a stands for my monitors. They were big, and bulky, and took up space. I replaced them with ISO stands I could use on the desk. Some cool artwork for the walls. I was happy with how it turned out.

S3pY2Vz.jpg

As it turns out, my main concern should have been a beefy lock on the door to keep my wife out. We had windows replaced in the early December. My room became a storage area for all of the wife's crap. It's still a work in progress.

5YjS8Li.jpg

CJwPQau.jpg

So, my advice; get a big lock first!

My goal was to make it somewhere I like to hang out. It had to "flow" from Zen perspective. Not really. Always wanted to say that. At first, I had a stands for my monitors. They were big, and bulky, and took up space. I replaced them with ISO stands I could use on the desk. Some cool artwork for the walls. I was happy with how it turned out.

S3pY2Vz.jpg

As it turns out, my main concern should have been a beefy lock on the door to keep my wife out. We had windows replaced in the early December. My room became a storage area for all of the wife's crap. It's still a work in progress.

5YjS8Li.jpg

CJwPQau.jpg

So, my advice; get a big lock first!

Love the wall art in your first photo.

Second and third photos, meh! Not so much!!

Just a few thoughts...guitar storage. Upright in cases/bags my preferred method. Leave electric outlets easily accessible. Leave amps easily accessible, but covered when not playing, to keep dust and moisture away.

1. If the studio room has a closet, don’t put anything non-gear-related in it. You’ll need storage space for odds and ends, extra pedals, extra cables, and the usual stuff associated with studio-ing and guitaring. If there’s no closet, plan on some shelves or a storage cabinet in the room.

2 Put in some decent acoustic treatment or it will suck; the smaller the room, the more it will suck without good acoustic control. Foam is garbage. Don’t waste your money. It’s not going to control low frequencies. Get some real-deal acoustic treatment from RealTraps, GIK, or the like. It’s a good idea to do this before you set up the gear, or you’ll just wind up with a headache.

3. If it’s an upstairs room, decouple any guitar amps from the floor to reduce structure-borne vibration and noise. The Auralex Gramma stuff works, even though it’s foam. Foam’s pretty good at decoupling.

4. Give yourself enough floor space to get around the room between amps, pedalboard (if you use one), any guitar stands, etc. Consider stacking amps if you need to in order to free up space. The smaller the room, the more important this becomes.

5. Set up the room so you can get to the gear for servicing, gigs, etc., without having to do contortions. It’s nice to be able to get behind amps to use effects loops (if you use them), rear controls, tube bias points, etc. It’s not fun to have to disassemble the room in order to change a cable, especially if it means reaching hard-to-get-to places and twisting your back. Putting amps on wheeled caster boards or wheeled shelving isn’t a bad idea.

6. To reduce standing waves in a smaller room, try and avoid placing speaker cabs and combos parallel to the back walls. Usually it’s better to angle them slightly.

7. If you have recording gear with studio monitors, set that up before you set up your amps, so that you can have both speakers equidistant from side walls - this way, room reflections are balanced out - and have them a little bit behind your desk or console to reduce reflections off the desk surface. It’s best to have monitors equidistant from the back wall, especially if you have minimal or no acoustic treatment, and toed in so that the distance between each speaker and your head form an equilateral triangle. Once you have the correct monitoring situation handled, it’s a lot easier to place guitar amps in the room, their placement is less critical.

There are a million, billion, zillion ways to put together a studio room; I can’t deal with too much unplanned clutter, so please pardon a bit of OCD, but anyway, here’s how I do it; front of room showing workstation (here I needed a fair amount of acoustic treatment and bass traps):

Dmc7g2w.jpg

Rear of room showing amps and recording area (here the room sounded great without treatment, however there are bass traps in the corners behind the amps):

J4dZdN6.jpg

The basic idea in all this is I can get to everything very easily to work with the gear, and there’s enough room to spread out without getting all tangled up in wires, etc.

Last edited:
1. If the studio room has a closet, don’t put anything non-gear-related in it. You’ll need storage space for odds and ends, extra pedals, extra cables, and the usual stuff associated with studio-ing and guitaring. If there’s no closet, plan on some shelves or a storage cabinet in the room.

2 Put in some decent acoustic treatment or it will suck; the smaller the room, the more it will suck without good acoustic control. Foam is garbage. Don’t waste your money. It’s not going to control low frequencies. Get some real-deal acoustic treatment from RealTraps, GIK, or the like. It’s a good idea to do this before you set up the gear, or you’ll just wind up with a headache.

3. If it’s an upstairs room, decouple any guitar amps from the floor to reduce structure-borne vibration and noise. The Auralex Gramma stuff works, even though it’s foam. Foam’s pretty good at decoupling.

4. Give yourself enough floor space to get around the room between amps, pedalboard (if you use one), any guitar stands, etc. Consider stacking amps if you need to in order to free up space. The smaller the room, the more important this becomes.

5. Set up the room so you can get to the gear for servicing, gigs, etc., without having to do contortions. It’s nice to be able to get behind amps to use effects loops (if you use them), rear controls, tube bias points, etc. It’s not fun to have to disassemble the room in order to change a cable, especially if it means reaching hard-to-get-to places and twisting your back. Putting amps on wheeled caster boards or wheeled shelving isn’t a bad idea.

6. To reduce standing waves in a smaller room, try and avoid placing speaker cabs and combos parallel to the back walls. Usually it’s better to angle them slightly.

7. If you have recording gear with studio monitors, set that up before you set up your amps, so that you can have both speakers equidistant from side walls - this way, room reflections are balanced out - and have them a little bit behind your desk or console to reduce reflections off the desk surface. It’s best to have monitors equidistant from the back wall, especially if you have minimal or no acoustic treatment, and toed in so that the distance between each speaker and your head form an equilateral triangle.

There are a million, billion, zillion ways to put together a studio room; I can’t deal with too much unplanned clutter, so please pardon a bit of OCD, but anyway, here’s how I do it; front of room showing workstation:

Dmc7g2w.jpg

Rear of room showing amps and recording area:

J4dZdN6.jpg

The basic idea in all this is I can get to everything very easily to work with the gear, and there’s enough room to spread out without getting all tangled up in wires, etc.

Very nice

I forgot to mention - you’ll usually get the least noise if all amps and pedals are powered by the same outlet. Most often that means some kind of power strip or rackmount power supply, etc. Once you know where you’re going to put the amps and guitar gear, put the power strip or power supply in place first. I use the Furman stuff, they’re pros who know what they’re doing. The Furman power strips are metal boxes with 15 foot cables. There are times you’re gonna inadvertently step on a power strip in a studio. Plastic ones break. But I also installed a rackmount power supply with a 45 Amp power reservoir for the amps, and an isolation transformer with balanced AC for the recording gear.

I’ve set up amps in a room in the past before figuring out AC power needs, and then I had to move everything and deal with that, then put everything in place. Come to think of it, I’ve made every possible mistake setting up a room that can be made, and I’ve been making those mistakes for over 30 years. :eek:

My setup is a LOT of trial and error, but I’ve learned. Slowly. ;)

Edit: Oops, I almost forgot - it’s a good idea to use a label maker and make small labels to stick to cable plug barrels. This way, if you have to move some stuff, you won’t have to untangle a rat’s nest of cables to figure out what cable you’re dealing with, the label will tell you. I use simple two letter abbreviations (for example,mother plug going to my DG30 amp is labeled ‘DG’, etc.), though I’ve started to color-code cables. Neutrik makes plugs with different colored strain relief caps on the barrels, making connections pretty obvious, and cable companies sometimes make cables in different colors. Also, I’ve started having all power cords and any cables that lay on the floor sheathed in tough Tech-Flex, that not only makes the stuff that might get stepped on tougher, it also comes in various colors, so color-coding cables is even easier.

I can’t begin to tell you how much time I’ve saved by labeling or color-coding my cables!

Also...knickknacks are fun, but if you’re into moving 15 of your vintage Star Wars figures off the top of an amp head in order to take the amp to a gig or session, you’re a more patient man than I.

Last edited:
Back