Multiple sized Phase II tuners...

Luth2000

Ok, I have a CU24 25th Anniversary, advertised as having Phase II tuners. They are awesome, perfect tuning, nice large tuning buttons, smooth precise action. Bought the guitar new.

I recently sold a CE24 20th Anniversary "Blazing Copper", which had smaller tuning buttons, held tune fine, but the "stiffness" in the tuners was noticeable, and the ratio felt less than the 25th anniversary.

I bought a 305, which I believe is a 2010 (used), and it has the same tuners as the CE24, but is advertised as having Phase II tuners.

When I google "Phase II PRS" and replacement parts, there is not one mention of different size tuners or buttons.

What gives? How can I install the "Phase II" tuners that are on my CU24 on to my 305?

thanks for any explanations!
Luther

I don't think the Phase II keys were changed until the recent advent of the S2 version, other than various buttons. I think it may be that the adjustment screws at the tuner button are too tight. That can totally kill the feel of the tuners. If you loosen them even an eighth of a turn, it'll make a huge impact.

Thanks for the reply - I'll try loosening them up.

However, I am curious to know what the difference is in these tuners, and how I can buy the Anniversary tuners. They are clearly different, larger sized on the back of the headstock, and have larger tuner buttons. Also would be interested to know if they fit in the existing headstock holes.

I would think others would be interested in this info as well, and perhaps could be clarified on the parts website.

many thanks for the help,
Luther

Thats weird! I've never noticed the bigger ones like that. The ones on your 305 are the same as my '04 and '08 Custom 22's and a set I bought about 2 or 3 years ago.

Anyone else have some info about these? Were they specific to 25 Annys?

Well, the explanation is pretty easy:

Although both guitars were built the same year, your 305 has Phase IIs from Gotoh and those on your Customs were made by Schaller.

Over their lifespan the Phase II Tuners were slightly modified several times and were built by Schaller as well as by Gotoh but not to 100% the same specs.
In the beginning they started with Schaller (who produced the winged tuners before), but as Schaller couldn't deliver the required numbers Gotoh gradually took over and now builds the Phase III exclusively.

I found this out when a tuner of my '09 SCT failed and the set of Phase II replacement tuners ordered from PRS simply wouldn't fit exactly the old holes :dontknow:

Well that makes sense, however I have Phase II's from '04, '08, and '13. And they are identical to the "Gotoh" version from his 305. I was always under the impression they were made by Schaller. Hmmmm

So if I order replacement Phase II's, do I get the old smaller Gotohs, or the better Schaller design?

How close is the Schaller design phase II to the Phase III? Specifically, the hole diameter requirement in the headstock.

thanks for your knowledge,
Luther

Well, the explanation is pretty easy:

Although both guitars were built the same year, your 305 has Phase IIs from Gotoh and those on your Customs were made by Schaller.

Over their lifespan the Phase II Tuners were slightly modified several times and were built by Schaller as well as by Gotoh but not to 100% the same specs.
In the beginning they started with Schaller (who produced the winged tuners before), but as Schaller couldn't deliver the required numbers Gotoh gradually took over and now builds the Phase III exclusively.

I found this out when a tuner of my '09 SCT failed and the set of Phase II replacement tuners ordered from PRS simply wouldn't fit exactly the old holes :dontknow:

I've come to send a message from Jon Wasserman, an engineer here at PRS.

The Phase 2 tuners have come from 2 sources, Schaller and Gotoh. Schallers are on the maple headstock in the photo. They have an “embossed” PRS logo plate. Gotohs are on the red headstock. They have an “engraved” logo plate. The headstock thru holes are identical, however the mounting holes are not.

Phase 3 tuners are made by Gotoh exclusively for PRS.

Tuners.jpg

ok - I'm not being very clear: Can I buy the tuners on the redhead stock? Are these the PRS phase II tuners for sale on the parts website?

Assuming the answer is yes from above: I understand the holes don't line up - if I don't mind holes showing, can I still replace the maple head stock tuners with the red ones?

thanks,
Luther

ok - I'm not being very clear: Can I buy the tuners on the redhead stock? Are these the PRS phase II tuners for sale on the parts website?

Luth, wait and see what answer you get from them, but I purchased a set of Phase II's directly from PRS and they were what has been confirmed as Schaller's version.

Most all Phase II's I've ever encountered are the Schaller version, but apparently there are "runs" with the Gotohs and I suspect the 25 Anny models may or may not have been spec'd for the Gotoh version specifically. It's also quite possible that a specific guitar got one version or the other depending on the how the employees day was going at the time. "Man last night was a blast, this one gets the Gotohs!!"

This is the question of the thread:

Assuming the answer is yes from above: I understand the holes don't line up - if I don't mind holes showing, can I still replace the maple head stock tuners with the red ones?

thanks,
Luther

Have you called and asked them? Or emailed customer service? My guess is that the Gotoh's are what they have in stock since Gotoh is the current manufacturer. That's only a guess though. It's possible that there could be some sets laying around...maybe....

The forum isn't a form of customer service though, so best to contact PRS directly.

For me the question is: will these tuners fit my SE CU24 30th Anniversary without drilling or modification?

They will fit but you will need to drill new mounting holes. The Phase II's come straight down off the housing, SE tuners come off at an angle.

They will fit but you will need to drill new mounting holes. The Phase II's come straight down off the housing, SE tuners come off at an angle.

Looking at mine, the mounting holes looks like they come straight off the mount holes. Like straight off the back edge like Hunter's pic shows. So I am hoping the Phase III's will fit on my 30th SE CU24 anny?

Looking at mine, the mounting holes looks like they come straight off the mount holes. Like straight off the back edge like Hunter's pic shows. So I am hoping the Phase III's will fit on my 30th SE CU24 anny?

Geez I don't know I would want to see pics of your specific tuners. As far as I'm aware your 30th should still use the standard SE tuners which have different mouting holes than Phase II's and Phase III's. So will Phase III's housing and post work with your guitar? I don't know, hopefully PRS can tell you. Will you need to drill new mounting holes? Almost definitely yes.

Back